Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King vs Road King Classic

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Weatheredge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ride Road King Classic Myself ~ Let the Bike choose you...

Old 05-27-2011, 02:13 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Weatheredge
Ride Road King Classic Myself ~ Let the Bike choose you...
Words to live by...

I was looking at the Moto Guzzi California Vintage when my turquoise and antique white Road King Classic chose me.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:26 PM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
If I was buying new, I would get a classic and immediately switch out to the hard bags.

I like my current RK standard very much. I ride a lot and the leather looks like too much work for me. Plus the hard bags are more waterproof.
DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the hardbags look much better and hold more stuff

Old 05-27-2011, 03:17 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
I ride a lot and the leather looks like too much work for me. Plus the hard bags are more waterproof.
Originally Posted by 10 RED RK
DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the hardbags look much better and hold more stuff
I've heard these 3 things over and over again. If you ever wax your hard bags, it takes less effort than that to keep the leather ones looking great.

Unless you are planning on converting your bike to a submarine, the leather bags are just as waterproof as the hard ones. I've been in several downpours and nothing has ever gotten wet.

You can stuff just as much and most of the time more in the leather bag because the walls will flex out a bit and allow more to be crammed in there. Try flexing the walls of the hard bags out. If they don't crack, can you still get the lid shut?

People that have never had the leather bags either just don't like the looks or just don't know anything at all about them. Either way, it's really a matter of what look you like best unless the locking latch is a deal breaker. Personally, I would never leave anything of real value in my bags, hard or leather, locked or not, since a screwdriver can have them separated from the bike in a matter of minutes. I like them both, just want to clear up the myths about the leather bags if you are thinking about them. FWIW.

Last edited by 07RoadHawg; 05-27-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Keyboard
6th Gear

Thanks 07RoadHawg for that insight. I like and prefer my Road King Classic, leather bags and all. In fact, I bought the detachable RC leather tour pak to match. The styling of the RC chose me (as someone earlier mentioned).

Name:  TourPak001.jpg
Views: 2952
Size:  218.3 KB

P.S., I like your rims. Which style and size are they?

Last edited by Keyboard; 05-27-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I prefer the standard. I like the locking hard bags as well as the wheels. I added cruise to mine and hang a lot of accessories on it when riding two-up on a tour, as in the sig picture below.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:38 PM
ctmedic
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go wit the classic. Locks on the Hard Bags only keep the honest out. The bag flex and honestly hold as much as my buddies fiberglass Hard bags.

Cruise Control is the bomb....I use it alot on longer trips.

Infact I loved the Road King Classic however also Liked the Street Glide.... So I built my own "Street King Classic" Fairing, Rims and all.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:15 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To me, the "perfect" scooter would be a 2011 (2012???) RKC with the 103 motor, wide whites, spoke wheels and the hard bags from a standard RK. Maybe next year.
Oh yeah, in black!

Old 05-27-2011, 08:36 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

ive had a classic and now an ultra the bags are no big deal other than looks but...the spokes suck when u get a flat.with mags a plugg or a can of goo and your rollin again spokes ,your waitin for a tow and if (with my luck it was) a sunday good luck. so for me its a classic with a wheel swap or a standard adding cruise,wich is priced better?

Old 05-27-2011, 08:47 PM
bigalv63
Tourer

I have the Road King Standard...that said...I have all the goodies added on that the Classic comes with...plus other trim etc...plus the XM Radio....I just took it on a 785 mile trip to Northern Arizona and it was great to say the least...I rode it in rain, sleet , very gusty winds and very cold weather....I love this bike....I guess it is true that when you add your extras it costs alot of money but I did it anyway....cuz I wanted what I wanted at the beginning...right from the dealer...so when I picked it up ...I was a Happy Camper....I don't like spoked wheels, I don't like leather bags....but I love my Road King cuz it is what I want ...and lastly....I am the guy that is paying the bill....end of story.....

Quick Reply: Road King vs Road King Classic