Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My octane test

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:53 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

too funny

Old 05-30-2011, 06:08 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said, this was MY test results on MY bike. That is why I dated it and gave the history I did. The fact that the bike had never before had less than premium gas in it until this experiment has convinced me that IT likes high octane. I agree that water got into the intake but as I also stated this had never happened before in worse rains and often times without the rain sock. I should have also mentioned that just prior to this trip I thoroughly cleaned and oiled my HB.

YOUR bike may like regular gas, vinegar or kerosene for that matter but mine likes 93 octane. Maybe one day I will be able to afford a new bike and will be able to perform an up to date test but I doubt HD is going to change its stance on the suggested minimum octane. I still shake my head when there are the select few people who spend 20 and upwards of 30K on a bike but squabble over less than a dollars difference in the price of a fill up.

And the tire scenario? Geez.....

Old 05-30-2011, 06:34 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

breather got wet and was sucking water, I've had that happen myself. Same results.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:43 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts
Default Jump Frog Jump

One day after sleeping badly, an anatomist went to his frog laboratory and removed from a cage one frog with white spots on its back. He placed it on a table and drew a line just in front of the frog. "Jump frog, jump!" he shouted. The little critter jumped two feet forward. In his lab book, the anatomist scribbled, "Frog with four legs jumps two feet."

Then, he surgically removed one leg of the frog and repeated the experiment. "Jump, jump!" To which, the frog leaped forward 1.5 feet. He wrote down, "Frog with three legs jumps 1.5 feet."

Next, he removed a second leg. "Jump frog, jump!" The frog managed to jump a foot. He scribbled in his lab book, "Frog with two legs jumps one foot."

Not stopping there, the anatomist removed yet another leg. "Jump, jump!" The poor frog somehow managed to move 0.5 feet forward. The scientist wrote, "Frog with one leg jumps 0.5 feet."

Finally, he eliminated the last leg. "Jump, jump!" he shouted, encouraging forward progress for the frog. But despite all its efforts, the frog could not budge. "Jump frog, jump!" he cried again. It was no use; the frog would not respond. The anatomist thought for a while and then wrote in his lab book, "Frog with no legs goes deaf."

Sometimes if you don't analyze the data correctly, you can make the wrong conclusion. Just sayin'. I am with OP on sticking with Premium.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:49 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Considering a 5 or 6 gallon tank and 93 octane 20 cents higher than regular 87, the most you will pay is $1.20 more for your fillup. Kinda of a no brainer to me.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:12 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Very amusing analogy. Thanks for the laugh!!!!!

Originally Posted by RT750
One day after sleeping badly, an anatomist went to his frog laboratory and removed from a cage one frog with white spots on its back. He placed it on a table and drew a line just in front of the frog. "Jump frog, jump!" he shouted. The little critter jumped two feet forward. In his lab book, the anatomist scribbled, "Frog with four legs jumps two feet."

Then, he surgically removed one leg of the frog and repeated the experiment. "Jump, jump!" To which, the frog leaped forward 1.5 feet. He wrote down, "Frog with three legs jumps 1.5 feet."

Next, he removed a second leg. "Jump frog, jump!" The frog managed to jump a foot. He scribbled in his lab book, "Frog with two legs jumps one foot."

Not stopping there, the anatomist removed yet another leg. "Jump, jump!" The poor frog somehow managed to move 0.5 feet forward. The scientist wrote, "Frog with one leg jumps 0.5 feet."

Finally, he eliminated the last leg. "Jump, jump!" he shouted, encouraging forward progress for the frog. But despite all its efforts, the frog could not budge. "Jump frog, jump!" he cried again. It was no use; the frog would not respond. The anatomist thought for a while and then wrote in his lab book, "Frog with no legs goes deaf."

Sometimes if you don't analyze the data correctly, you can make the wrong conclusion. Just sayin'. I am with OP on sticking with Premium.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 307 Likes on 117 Posts

I always run the highest octane available. The manual states to run 91 or better so I honor that. However, when I was on a trip out west, I encountered several places where the highest octane available was 86! Yes, you read that correctly, 86 octane. Not sure what was up with that but I felt horrible putting that crap in my bike. But, I didn't notice any difference in performance. I attribute this mostly to the fact we spent a lot of our time riding at a consistent speed on an open road. If I was stopping and starting in that heat with the way my bike was loaded down, I would have expected to see varying results (possible pinging, etc...). Lesson for me was that if I travel out west to remote locales, I carry a small bottle of octane boost in my saddle bag. When I come across 86 octane again, I just pour a little octane boost in and away I go. Otherwise, it's 93 or better for my baby...

Old 05-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default octane ?

Altitude is the reason for the lower octane. . . .

Remember ALL of our Military personel on this Memorial Day 2011

Old 05-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm convinced it had to be your choice in oil. I mean, EVERYONE knows the wrong oil will cause sputtering during torrential downpours.
I've also heard that a sputtering issue (raining only) can also be dealt with by simply changing to hydrogen in your tires.
Sorry 'bout the flames but arrow, you built the bonfire.

Last edited by Leftcoaster; 05-31-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 05 with cams, intake and slip ons runs no worse on 87 ovt then it does on 91+ oct. Actually it runs slightly better on the 87 oct.

For this reason, I don't worry about fuel in the bike, I don't go out of my way making sure I find 91 or better oct for it. I pull up to a pump, fill it up and go on my marry way. On the plus side, I am saving a little coin in the process so it is a win win for me. Better performance, better milage and less coin at the pump and not having to drive around looking for "premuim" fuel.

Quick Reply: My octane test