Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to purchase...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 05:25 PM
VTwinPulse
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to purchase...thoughts?

So I probably have read every thread in this forum the past 6 months and I'm finally physically able to go make my purchase. First, I know there's been 4000 threads similar to this, and believe me, I've read every one of them. Second, my first new touring choice was always a Road King (Classic for the 103). After seeing some great bikes, and my bud going from a King to an SG for tunes, the Street Glide (power pak) became the flavor of the month and I've been back and forth for awhile.

When I bought my Night Train, I knew I only wanted that. This time its different. I've test rode both of these bikes for a weekend each, but that doesn't help considering I want to change the bars to an ape of some sort. My bike is slammed and the shock tension is cranked down (6'2" 220) and both bikes feel like a Cadillac to me, so the 1" difference in shock height is a none factor. I ride with shure headphones so the stereo isn't a big deal but it is nice. The only difference is the dang fairing. I like the freedom without it, but it still looks good with it.

Will one of them give me the wow factor when I walk in? Maybe one will talk to me then? Maybe money talks? I was hoping from some feedback from those who walked out with a bike they didn't intend to purchase originally. Any help???

I want a tourer to start traveling. Im 31, doing less bar hopping, more riding, and the cool softie is not that cool after a couple hours. I talked to my guy about the 2012s also so I can wait a few weeks if needed. Who knows, maybe a CVO SG...

btw not selling the Train, but just assume I don't have it.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:34 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a '11 flhrc and love it...and from what I have read/heard the roadkings have less buffeting...for me there is zero buffeting on the highway...I don't like a radio (when I want one I get in my car) and around town I take the windshield off if I feel the need for wind in my face...

Old 06-15-2011, 05:44 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I would say that for touring, one if not the most important feature is the comfort of the saddle. Corbin for me. I couldn't set on a harley saddle for 10 hours, but I can sit on the corbin without too much discomfort.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:53 PM
seph10
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I road and raced just about every type of motorcycle known to man,,,now I'm 55 and the crazy years are behind me,,LOL,,,I bought a roadking in 07,,took a couple long trips on it and loved every mile,,I never though I would like a fairing for the same reasons as you,,but now I have a 09 ultra,,The wife and love to go cruising,,done a few week long trips on it,,, took awhile but I got used to the fairing and I really like it,,I don't think I'll ever go back,,it's just how I feel about it,,,

Old 06-15-2011, 06:11 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I think the seat on the RK Classic is less comfortable than the seats on the Glides, the full fairing will provide better wind protection, and the locking hard bags are real nice.

If you are serious about long distance riding though... you really want a tour pack.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

The SG is a SG when it leaves the dealer and it will always be a SG. When you buy a Road King you have so many more options to make it a different bike - Cruiser, Touring bike, etc. Have you seen the threads where they strip down a Fairing'd RK? I mean, -Fairing touring bike, windshield touring bike, no windshield cruiser...it's three completely different looking bikes. Go out and try that with a SG.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:24 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Road King is a great motorcycle. No doubt the most versatile in the touring lineup. I had one and do miss it at times.

If you're gonna keep your Train, then I'd probably lean toward a more fully rigged touring scoot. Not that you can't add a fairing and tour-pak to a King, but that **** adds up quickly.

Everyone's different, with different criteria and different tastes. To me the choice came down to either spending the money to equip my King or getting a Limited or Road Glide Ultra. It was a tough choice, but I'm happy with the path I took.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

You need to ride them to decide. The rental price is cheap compared to buying what you will not like. Love my 11 RGU and I am becoming more attached to it every time I ride. I was originally going to go with a SG but then road the RGU and that was it. Go by the seat of your pants and you will be happy.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's my thought's, I have a 2010 RK and love it. To me it's the KING!!!
But....If you are going to keep the Train and you say you want to take some road trips, I would get the Ultra Limited. You can always get a detach Tour-pak kit, then you've got the SG look. You can always take off cheaper than add!! JMO

Old 06-15-2011, 06:44 PM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I love the way the SG looks.....cool bagger.....have two friends I ride with that have SG's.

That being said.....I absolutely love my RK Classic!! - I'm hooked!

Get one with a removable and adustable tourpak (moves forward and back for 2 up riding) and you'll be set for the long hauls. (or buy a falcon T-bag for $100)

Either bike....you will be happy....I'm sure.

(I'll wait until Harley comes out with a two-tone RK Classic with the colors I like before I get a newer one.)

Quick Reply: Going to purchase...thoughts?