Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Deer Alerts

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 02:19 PM
maltezebluez96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Deer Alerts

I am looking at a Kuryakyn V-120 Hornet Deer Alert system....Since I look here for advise now first I need to know if there is a better option, if they actually work,...etc....Even though I'm in Florida we do have deer here in the country sides and I do live in the boonie's where we have Deer, wild Boar,...and Bear,....
and angry ex-wives....So I look forwad to hearing what ya'll have to say

Thanks,....maltezebluez96
Name:  Goldie2.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  32.7 KB

Old 11-05-2006, 08:26 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Default RE: Electronic Deer Alerts

I FOUND SOMETHING THAT REALLY WORKS AND GETS THE DEER'S ATTENTION!!!!

Today I was driving around Lake Winnebago in Northeast Wisconsin.

As I was coming uo to a deer farm - with about two dozen big A$$ bucks strolling around - each and every one of them looked over at me - even at 100 yards away.

"LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES" Proof.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've heard both sides of the argument for years. Personally, I don't trust the contraptions, mechanical or electronic. There is no conclusive proof that these things work. Save your money!

Old 11-05-2006, 10:02 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in some of the most heavily-populated deer country a feller could ask for. There's been a TON of research on deer whistles, and EVERY research study ah've seen that I'd trust far 'nuff ta toss says they're plain junk - period. This includes several State Wildlife offices AND several well-known universities. You'll always hear the folks what say "I have 'em and have NEVER hit a deer" - well, I've got some super-duty ones made for elephants, an' I've never hit one of them, neither!!!

One of my sisters had some high-dollar ones on her car. The deer missed both of 'em as he nailed her brand-new Lexus spot-on between 'em.[]

Old 11-05-2006, 11:55 PM
tweedy
Intermediate

If it's chrome, Kuryakyn will make it.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:39 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Deer Alert systems..... DO NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Save your $$$$$. Stay alert. Drive smart.

Are you interested in buying a bridge? I got one cheap and I take PayPal.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:30 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

ORIGINAL: dchoran

I FOUND SOMETHING THAT REALLY WORKS AND GETS THE DEER'S ATTENTION!!!!

Today I was driving around Lake Winnebago in Northeast Wisconsin.

As I was coming uo to a deer farm - with about two dozen big A$$ bucks strolling around - each and every one of them looked over at me - even at 100 yards away.

"LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES" Proof.
Blind luck. A guy I work with had (I stress had) a new FLHTCI with less than 1k miles on it, the deer didn't give two seconds thoughts about his loud pipes when it ran in front of him. The end result was he ended up on the ground bleeding like a stuck hog where his helmet less head smacked the ground. The bike had $15,000 in damage and was totaled, I saw the bike and there wasn't a piece of plastic left that wasn't cracked, the frame and forks were tweeked. There are times the noise from ones pipes can cause the deer to run in front to get to safety instead of away from you.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:01 AM
vtxed
Tourer

I live in Wi also and have fairly loud pipes. If you think for 1 second there going to save you your nuts. At my buddy's cabin in Mercer Wi, you actually have to stand up on some roads to look for Deer there so many that are in the road, side of the road and oh yeah he has loud pipes too. Pay attention or pay the price but if you think your pipes will work oh well

Steve

Old 11-07-2006, 11:34 AM
redscout
Road Captain

Good advice to stay alert (we need more "lerts"), but if a deer's got your name on it, no amount of attention or fancy subsonic whistles is going to save your a$$...

The stupid animals just have no concept of mass and velocity and will run right out in front of you from places you wouldn't even think an animal that large could be hidden.

Ever since "Bambi" came out the bleeding hearts have been letting them run free no matter how many motorists they kill, while being oblivious to the fact that a good percentage are starving to death because there's so damn many of them.

Thin the herd. Take what you'd spend on a deer whistle and buy a deer license....

Old 11-07-2006, 11:45 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

First - I had the same experience as dchoran, which kinda puts the explanation msocko3, that it's blind luck to the test. Deer came out. I was coming one way, Blazer about to tag him from the other way. I've been there and the deer heard my pipes, looked me right in the eye, and ran from in front of the blazer into the woods. With all due respect with to those who think they don't help - saw it with my own eyes. I'd much rather have the deer hear me AND be alert. Pipes are like a horn, but always on so there's no reaction time lost. If loud noises doesn't get people and animals attention, feel free to rip that horn right off your bike, it's clearly adding weight for no reason.

Loud Pipes HELP to SAVE LIVES...

Oh, and the deer whistles - only buy them if you like the way they look cause they don't do crap....