Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brighter headlight

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:01 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey V
I run a HELLA H-4 lamp. 55W lo beam/100W Hi beam. Works for me.
Osram 70/65 H4 lamps are great!! Not overpriced like PIAA crap. The 55/100 by Hella is good, but beware, running your high beams all the time can cause the bulb socket to overheat, and also remember that the extra amps being pulled by the 100 watts is going through your hi beam switch, which is another place that can get a high resistance and possible overheating and failure.

There is a company called Eastern Beaver that sells a direct battery to bulb wiring system, that provides power direct from the battery, and is controlled by relays. It all fits inside the bulb housing, and is plug and play, or plug and "light."

Old 07-13-2011, 09:30 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957buick
...just a bulb i can put in without doing wiring or relays .
Hella 80/100w bulbs

If you don't mind taking another five minutes, install this for another $38 or so. It's worth it.

Hella 7" E-code headlights

Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 AM
barkster99
Tourer

Bingo. The real problem with the HD headlamp isn't the bulb, it's the lens optics. Get an E-code replacement and you'll never be sorry. Night and day difference - literally. Personally, I got a Cibie unit. It cost about twice the Hella that iclick suggests and probably isn't much different. (Iclick - where were you years ago when I did this?)

If interested, I started a thread years ago on this. If I weren't so lazy, I'd look it up for you.

Originally Posted by iclick
If you don't mind taking another five minutes, install this for another $38 or so. It's worth it.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:12 AM
ggerline
Advanced

Ultrabrightlights.com ask for danny and order the motorcycle hid kit $99.00 and works great!

Old 07-14-2011, 04:30 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinrider
Color Temp (K) Color Description:
3000k: Yellow light (suitable for fog lights)
4300k : White light with tinges of yellow (closest to daylight, used in OEM applications)
5000K: PURE WHITE LIGHT.
6000K: White light with tinges of blue
8000K: Distinct blue color light
10000K: Bluish-green light
12000K: Bluish-purplish light.
Exactly what the rep at DDM Tuning said - "the 55 watt HID at 6000k is very bright and
pretty much washes out the blue". $71 delivery including CA tax - hard to beat. IMHO.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:31 PM
schv
Cruiser

Hella 80/100w bulbs

This is the most cost effective path to a truly bright headlight. The housing is far superior to the factory Harley piece, and would be a huge improvement all by itself. I've been using one with the Hella 80/100W bulb for a year and a half now, lots of it at night with the high beam on, and have yet to suffer any ill effects. I was told I needed to replace the headlight connector socket with a ceramic one to use the high power bulb, but I didn't do it. No signs of heat degradation at all, no ill effects to the switches, wiring, etc. If you think about it, a Road glide with two headlights will have about the same current as one of these bright Hella's. Also, if you're already replacing the bulb, then it takes no extra time at all to swap the housing since you already have it out for the bulb change.

The difference between stock and my current setup is like, well, night and day.

Last edited by schv; 07-14-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,085 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957buick
i know this has bin talked about many times . but i want a brighter headlight for my 08 ultra . i did the search but get confused with all the technical terms . i simply want a brighter headlight bulb that works in the real world . just a bulb i can put in without doing wiring or relays .
i dont need the newest high tech stuff , but just a brighter bulb , getting older and want better night time vision . can the passing lamps have a brighter bulb?
any sugestions?
I run a PIAA Star White...way better than stock, under $30, I believe.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:12 PM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

My son installed the new HD LED headlight and it is the brightest I have ever seen. It is a "plug and play" product. You just remove the existing lense and plug in the new LED light. I could not afford that though so I use the Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA 9003 Halogen headlight. NOT THE PREMIUM BUT THE ULTRA!!! It it 50% brighter, shines 40% further down the road and shines 50% wide to the sides than the standard cheap HD stock light (as stated by Sylvania). The only problem is, when you get a incandescent type light that is brighter, you also get a shorter lifespan for that bulb. For me, it is worth it!!! Check them out an almost any auto parts store. There you can read the back and see comparison to the life span between the standard and the ultra. I get mine at O'Riley's Auto Parts ($29) and they have a standard 1 year guarantee on all parts they sell. I believe that also includes headlight bulbs. If you want to see some picture comparisons of the bulb, here is a link to the Sylvania site that has that.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lverStarUltra/

Keep in mind that these are pictures from a car not a bike but I still think they do it justice. I love the one I have on my Sportster!

Last edited by DOMAPOI; 07-15-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:35 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DOMAPOI
I use the Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA 9003 Halogen headlight. NOT THE PREMIUM BUT THE ULTRA!!! It it 50% brighter, shines 40% further down the road and shines 50% wide to the sides than the standard cheap HD stock light (as stated by Sylvania).
Thhis is what I use and it is a great inprovement. Thinking on going the LED route though.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:17 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior

Hella 80/100w bulbs

Dang, I forgot about those!!! having a RG, I don't have that option. You used to be able to get an E code housing for the Glide, but they have been unavailable for several years.

Not big on the HIDs, mostly due to the housing optics not being compatible to the HID capsule. That, plus the number of summons I write for illegal HID installations........

Quick Reply: brighter headlight