Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limp Mode Again

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 07:11 PM
RdKng09
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp Mode Again

Started out sat morning on my 09 RK for a ride , hit the highway running about 70 in the fast lane and guess what? Engine shut down to idle. Almost got creamed by a few people while trying to get to the side of the road! Bike has 15,000 miles on it. My waranty was up in may this year. It happened once before in another state took 4 hours after the tow to get back on the road . It had 10,000 on it when that happened. That dealer said that it might happen again and it did. Anyway, after I got to the side of the road and cleaned my pants out I checked for codes P1511, P2101, and P2135 same as the last time. I reset the throttle 4 ign cycles and road it home without a problem. I pulled the connector of behind the air cleaner, cleaned the connections and put dielectric grease on the pins , reset the codes and it has been fine for 350 miles with no more codes thrown. Hopefully it won't happen again for another 5000 miles. I just think it is a shame that harley knows about this and won't do any thing until somone gets killed and sues them.My wife doesn't know how close she was to fileing that law suit.
Just had to tell someone ! Thanks for letting me vent!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:14 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a frustrating problem they need to correct! I feel your pain....

Old 08-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,790 Posts

Can you possible get a picture of what you are talking about behind airfilter? Are you refering to the IACV plug. (idle air control valve) that is mounted on top of the throttle body. What did Harley do last time when they said it would do it again? You bike has throttle by wire I think? Thanks

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-08-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Smilinridin
2nd Gear

is this a common issue? I'm new to the HD and so far it's been great.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:22 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

..my buddy has a new-to-him, 09 Road Glide, and he told me last weekend that it's been happening to him too...bike has little over 8000 miles on it. Terrible.....they should not have to do that...design a motor for real life conditions Harley!..if you can't do a 96 inch motor without it overheating...then don't do it at all...my 88 has never come CLOSE to overheating...but I'll tell you what, I went to the Keene, NH annual swap meet last year and it was about 85 degrees, and there was about a 1 mile backup to get into the gate, I saw at least 3 newer(96 inch) bikes in "limp" mode....

Old 08-08-2011, 07:47 PM
RdKng09
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grf000
Can you possible get a picture of what you are talking about behind airfilter? Are you refering to the IACV plug. (idle air control valve) that is mounted on top of the throttle body. What did Harley do last time when they said it would do it again? You bike has throttle by wire I think? Thanks
It is the (TCA) Throttle Control Actuator Plug on the left side. That is what the last dealer cleaned and cleared the codes. Yes it is TBW.So far it has worked (as I cross my fingers and toes)

Old 08-08-2011, 08:02 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've put 51k mi. on 2 TBW bikes in 3yrs. and not experienced the limp mode yet.Wonder if it's more prevalant to you guys in higher humidity climates,more suseptible to oxidation or corosion?Losing power like that with no warning would be more than frustrating.

Last edited by D2R; 08-08-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:10 PM
RdKng09
Intermediate

Originally Posted by D2R
I've put 51k mi. on 2 TBW bikes in 3yrs. and not experienced the limp mode yet.Wonder if it's more prevalant to you guys in higher humidity climates,more suseptible to oxidation or corosion?Losing power like that with no warning would be more than frustrating.
I would have to agree with you on that. The humidity around here lately has been between 65 and 95%. And yes, it is a little hair raising when you loose power on the highway in traffic.

Last edited by RdKng09; 08-08-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:14 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RdKng09
Started out sat morning on my 09 RK for a ride , hit the highway running about 70 in the fast lane and guess what? Engine shut down to idle. Almost got creamed by a few people while trying to get to the side of the road! Bike has 15,000 miles on it. My waranty was up in may this year. It happened once before in another state took 4 hours after the tow to get back on the road . It had 10,000 on it when that happened. That dealer said that it might happen again and it did. Anyway, after I got to the side of the road and cleaned my pants out I checked for codes P1511, P2101, and P2135 same as the last time. I reset the throttle 4 ign cycles and road it home without a problem. I pulled the connector of behind the air cleaner, cleaned the connections and put dielectric grease on the pins , reset the codes and it has been fine for 350 miles with no more codes thrown. Hopefully it won't happen again for another 5000 miles. I just think it is a shame that harley knows about this and won't do any thing until somone gets killed and sues them.My wife doesn't know how close she was to fileing that law suit.
Just had to tell someone ! Thanks for letting me vent!
You don't have to wait until someone dies to file suit. It has happened to you twice and the mechanic said it could happen again!!! You've got a case already. Sometimes just filing the papers gets their attention. See if there are others out there that have this happen.

1HarleyGuy1

Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 AM
VineRider
Cruiser

Just curious, is this happening with the stock grips as well? I was wondering if changing out the grips has any effect on this problem?

Quick Reply: Limp Mode Again