Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Twin Slash Slip-On Muffler Quiet Baffles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:07 PM
ftzoid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rwt, I don't think you do have the "twin slash rounds". After looking at your pic, I believe you're sporting the V&H basic slip-ons. The reason I say that is because I run the twin slash rounds. The "twin" means that the end of the pipe looks as tho one pipe has bee slipped inside of the other, and judging by the pic you've provided, I don't see this. As a matter of fact I don't believe V&H was offering the twin slash rounds in 07. I know they had the ovals, but I don't think they offered the rounds back then. Anyway, some years ago I also had the V&H slip-ons, and the baffle wrapping got so blown out that you could hear the baffle banging around. I'll bet you just need to re-pack the fiberglass cloth around the baffle, and that'll be a real improvement for you.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:19 AM
rwt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the info. There sure would be no harm in pulling the baffles and seeing if they need to be re-wrapped.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:50 AM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the newer 4" twin slash rounds on a 103" Limited, only a year old. I found when I changed the head pipe out for no Cat the pipes were too loud for me. Just put the quiet insert on them last week and no mods were required as they already had the bolt hole for the insert. The insert does show in back but does not extend out as far as twin slash. I did have to buy a cheap slide hammer at Harbor Freight to get the baffle out to install the insert. It was in there pretty snug. Baffle had no packing on it from the factory which I think is stock now. Just for fun I put some baffle material around baffle and now its only slightly louder than stock. Will probably leave it that way for a while. Also quiet insert was not painted so I painted it black with some header paint.

Last edited by TNCarters; 10-05-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:13 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,186 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by TNCarters
I have the newer 4" twin slash rounds on a 103" Limited, only a year old. I found when I changed the head pipe out for no Cat the pipes were too loud for me. Just put the quiet insert on them last week and no mods were required as they already had the bolt hole for the insert. The insert does show in back but does not extend out as far as twin slash. I did have to buy a cheap slide hammer at Harbor Freight to get the baffle out to install the insert. It was in there pretty snug. Baffle had no packing on it from the factory which I think is stock now. Just for fun I put some baffle material around baffle and now its only slightly louder than stock. Will probably leave it that way for a while. Also quiet insert was not painted so I painted it black with some header paint.
what i'm visualizing in my mind looks like poop. do you have a picture of what yours ended up looking like?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:38 AM
TNCarters
Road Master

Away from home right now for business trip but will try to get a photo when I get back. I do not think it looks as good as the twin slash with big open baffle but its not bad. Just looks like the 2" baffle has a plug at end with a ~1.5" pipe through it. Does not extend beyond chrome slash so not very noticable, particularly after I coated the whole interior with flat black header paint.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:45 AM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rwt
Skratch, they didn't really say. We arrived at that conclusion because the pipes were put on before the bike left the showroom in 2007. I guess that time frame made them the "Old Style". They don't look like the current pictures of the pipes on the V&H website. It looks to me like all of the new pipes have a 2nd piece that's smaller in diameter sticking out in the back of their pipe.

Here is a picture looking straight into the back of one of my pipes. View of my pipe from the back Hope this helps.
Yeah mine do not look like that i do have a removable baffle in mine.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put in the #21892 quiet inserts into my V&H 4" Blackout rounds. Once I got the baffle out, PITA, I installed the insets and went for a ride. Cruise it was very quiet, twist the throttle, a little quiter but not mutch. You do have to paint them or you can tell that something is in there, but again, the end doesn't stick out past the end of the pipe.

I eventually took these out as I liked how the mufflers sounded during cruise and didn't like it that quiet.

I ran the inserts for 50 miles, still like new. If anyone wants them for $25 plus $5 flat rate USPS shipping, PM me.

Ride afe and have fun.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:05 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,186 Likes on 2,454 Posts

i'd take you up on that offer, except i only need one. and i can get one for about $20.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:07 PM
TNCarters
Road Master
Old 10-09-2011, 06:34 PM
dakotabobcat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

were these very hard to install

Quick Reply: V&H Twin Slash Slip-On Muffler Quiet Baffles?