Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine knock ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 11:39 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine knock ???

pushed bike out of garage this am, 40 F. and started it while wife and I put my ride gear on. When we saddeled up, put the bike in gear and started to pull out of the driveway at low rpm. the engine knocked like a diesel when pulling at low rpm. We rode about 200+ miles today and it quit doing that noise after it warmed up completely. it has 6 k miles on it now, what gives???? or Is this another problem, in a long list of shxt I,ve had with it since new???

Old 11-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Budz
Tourer
Default RE: engine knock ???

Need to let the engine/oil warm up before riding. The knocking that you're hearing is potential damage to the engine. You didn't mention the viscosity of the oil you're running. May need to change out to 10W40 if you ride in a cold climate. Check your owners manual for H-D recommendations.

And please don't tell us the wife helps you put on your gear, we don't want to know that.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:40 AM
Grover
Admin "Kicking The Crap Out Of Spammers"

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

Sounds like you may be lugging it. Keep the RPMs up and let it warm up before taking off.

A good way to let it warm up is to let it idle while you are putting on your helmet and gloves. Give it about 2 minutes to warm up.

Also, make sure you put in at least 91 octane gas.

Keep us posted as to what you find.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:59 AM
Johnny Law
Cruiser

I may be off base here but this happend to me. I would get what sounded like an engine knock from time to time on my 01 Road King. I was baffled. It was usually at low rpm and stopped. I would stop get off the bike to check it out and could not hear it. Well a buddy of mine said check the rubber stopper on my jiffy stand. Low and behold it was missing. Went to harley got one glued it on with weather stripping adhesive and wala knock was gone. Just a guess hope this helps. Only 6k and just pulled it out of the garage. Odds are your motor is ok. Thats my .02 cents. Let us know what fixes it.
JL

Old 11-28-2006, 05:07 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

sorry slow responding, computer problems. I let bike idle for at least 10 min. while we saddle up and check out bike. I always use 93 or better gas. and It makes that noise at a slow speed take off like on a crowded city street. any suggestions?

Old 11-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Budz
Tourer

Take it to the dealer for warranty diagnosis. 10 mins of warmup should be enough. What viscvosity of oil is in the tank?

Old 11-28-2006, 05:56 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

syn 3 in all 3 holes for now. 6k miles on it. I think this is one of the last 06 built and they used all the scrap parts on it. the list of problems keeps growing.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Budz
Tourer

Syn 3 in the engine should be OK at 40 F. but I would recommend getting a good gear oil in the tranny for longevity sake.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

Just my two cents: you might want to also try another gasoline station and see if reduces the knocking. Harleys EFI system is very sensitive to water and/or other additives in fuel. Any irregularities in your fuel can also freak out the computer, and make it behave eratically!

About your oil, Syn3 should be adequate. But, my personal choice would be with other oils, which offer much better protection than Syn3. Especially in your transmission. Most riders on this site would agree that Redline or Amsoil SVG are much better for your trans.

ORIGINAL: dgriffith

syn 3 in all 3 holes for now. 6k miles on it. I think this is one of the last 06 built and they used all the scrap parts on it. the list of problems keeps growing.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:34 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

ok on the info, I,ve got some redline for the trans, and I,m going with mobil 1 in engine and primary, next oil change. If the transmission whine continues next summer, I,ll probably go with 85/90 mobil syn.