Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help w/Supertrapp 2>1 exhaust set up

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Benito
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need help w/Supertrapp 2>1 exhaust set up

Hi,

I've posted on another forum as well... No luck.

I've got a Screaming Eagle Night Stick/Supertrapp 2>1 slip-on muffler on a Bagger.

In order to increase low end torque, do I remove or do I add removeable disc plates??? Reducing discs makes the pipe shorter; Would this not reduce torque if I removed discs???

I read in a mag that in order to increase torque, you have to remove discs??? I'm confused... Don't shorter pipes lose torque due to less scavenging???

Tks a lot,

BB

Old 10-19-2011, 11:19 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Benito
Hi,

I've posted on another forum as well... No luck.

I've got a Screaming Eagle Night Stick/Supertrapp 2>1 slip-on muffler on a Bagger.

In order to increase low end torque, do I remove or do I add removeable disc plates??? Reducing discs makes the pipe shorter; Would this not reduce torque if I removed discs???

I read in a mag that in order to increase torque, you have to remove discs??? I'm confused... Don't shorter pipes lose torque due to less scavenging???

Tks a lot,

BB
Changing disks with the Supertrapp systems effectively alters the velocity and scavenging of the exhaust system. To increase low end torque you will remove disks, to free up some higher RPM power you will add disks. It works very well for finding the "sweet spot" for a given combination.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 10-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Benito
Cruiser

^^^ Tks for your prompt response! How many discs should I remove to get the biggest bang for the buck for low end torque, but still sound pretty good? 2, 3, 4 discs???

Tks a lot.

B

Old 10-19-2011, 11:38 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

the 2/1 already will help for torque- so think that with the supertrapp you can look to enhance HP and get good all around power.

1 the nightstick end cap is slightly smaller than the "closed course" supertrapp open end cap.
the supertrapp cap is equivalent to 10 discs
the nightstick cap is about 9 discs ( 90% area).

when we talk abouit disc counts, we usually assume with closed cap- riders who use open caps would than do the math subtracting either 10 or 9 from the count.

accessory discs and caps can be found on ebay, the supertrapp 4 inch disc system is what you want ( there are 3 and 5 inch too)

I prefer the closed cap, because i don't like meeting cops on duty.

Supertrapp would probably suggest you start at about 16 discs and go up or down 3 discs at a time, getting a feel for what you like. ( that would be with a closed cap--- with open cap 5 discs)

these numbers below are with the Supermeg which is very similar to the nightstick ( shorter baffle, less packing- but the same 2" core)

I run 22 discs and closed cap on my hipo 80" FXR with a 2/1 ( with the nightstick open cap that'd work out to 13 discs and the open cap)

my stage 1 80" FLHTC I ran 12 right, and 6 left with stock headers

my stage 1 96" FLHTC I am running 15 rt, 9 left on stock no cat headers.

IF I am planning a long hiway trip I might ad 2 or 3 discs to each side to increase high rpm power-- the discs counts I use now are good for in town and twisties ( torque).

the beauty of the supertrapp is feeeling results for changes you make and having a pipe that can be retuned should you motor be built up.

I have supertrapps that I've been using over 20 years ( FXR) with great result

USE anti-seize paste on the screws

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-19-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:47 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
the 2/1 already will help for torque- so think that with the supertrapp you can look to enhance HP and get good all around power.

1 the nightstick end cap is slightly smaller than the "closed course" supertrapp open end cap.

Supertrapp would probably suggest you start at about 16 discs and go up or down 3 discs at a time, getting a feel for what you like.

these numbers below are with the Supermeg which is very similar to the nightstick ( shorter baffle, less packing- but the same 2" core)

I run 22 discs and closed cap on my hipo 80" FXR with a 2/1

IF I am planning a long hiway trip I might ad 2 or 3 discs to each side to increase high rpm power-- the discs counts I use now are good for in town and twisties ( torque).

the beauty of the supertrapp is feeeling results for changes you make and having a pipe that can be retuned should you motor be built up.

mike
I agree this would be a great start, Supertrapp does build some very nice products for sure

Old 10-19-2011, 12:32 PM
1mrbill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Supertrapp has their own forum. They can/will answer your questions promptly. I have SE Fatshots on my RG, love 'em. Good luck. Ride safe!

Old 10-19-2011, 02:24 PM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkguitar

when we talk abouit disc counts, we usually assume with closed cap- riders who use open caps would than do the math subtracting either 10 or 9 from the count.

accessory discs and caps can be found on ebay, the supertrapp 4 inch disc system is what you want ( there are 3 and 5 inch too)

Supertrapp would probably suggest you start at about 16 discs and go up or down 3 discs at a time, getting a feel for what you like. ( that would be with a closed cap--- with open cap 5 discs)

I run 22 discs and closed cap on my hipo 80" FXR with a 2/1 ( with the nightstick open cap that'd work out to 13 discs and the open cap)

USE anti-seize paste on the screws

mike
I agree with this analysis - good work Mike.

I do, however, use the open end cap (with 5 plates) when riding solo. It is louder than the closed-cap, but significantly quiter than Rienharts.

When 2-up with my honey, it takes all of 10 minutes (max) to go with the closed-cap (12 plates). It is more quiet.

As MK said, the flexibility of the system is amaxing & USE ANTI-SEIZE...

Old 10-19-2011, 02:57 PM
mortbike
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supermeg discs

I have the supermeg on my 2011 SG with SE 254 cams and heavy breather a/c. After experimenting + - 2 discs at a time, the best combo for me was the closed end cap and 24 discs. Torque and hp feel great throughout the rev range and it is not too loud. Mort

Old 10-20-2011, 07:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Another SuperMeg here, on an S&S 107". Much better torque in low/mid range than my previous set-up, so a good system in my modest experience. I don't swap discs around, but had the bike set up by my S&S expert on his dyno. We tour and the bike runs very well and doesn't bug us noise wise. Well worth spending a little time optimising. I think I have 16 discs in mine, with a closed cap.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Benito
Cruiser

^^^ mkguitar, great/informative post! Thank you very much!

I'll share this info w/my trusted dealer to make some changes to my exhaust set-up...

Tks again Gents...

Best,

BB