Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tightening the primary drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 04:49 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Theakerr
A 2002 does not have an O-ring. The manual says to coat it Locktite Pipe Sealant with Teflon 565. I use Permatex. Install and tighten until 0.160-0.180" above the casting. I screw in very gently until it starts to tighten and then check the height.
There ya go; the right repsonse. I don't check the height but no leaks with the sealant.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:04 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunker
My 2011 service manual page 1-2 says torque is 14-21 inch pounds. That is INCH not foot pounds and your 3/4 torque wrench is way too big as previously stated. Get an inexpensive 1/4 for these jobs.

Check your manual again and you'll see it's 14-21 ft-lbs.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:19 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

To the OP and anyone else looking for information on this forum. I agree that this is a great place to obtain information but you can't just take what you read here as gospel. You have to be smart enough to sort through a lot of misinformation to get to the information you're looking for.

This thread is a perfect example. Of 10 replies that give a specific recommendation or answer to the original question:

Only 2 are the correct response as stated in the manual;

2 replies give a general instruction for NPT plugs and will work, but are not as stated in the manual;

And 6 replies are completely wrong (or do not apply) for the bike in question.

You can see that there is more misinformation than good information. And this is on an issue as elementary as a drain plug installation. Imagine the range of information you'd get on a really complex issue.

Be careful! It's up to you to sort through it all.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:04 PM
BigIck
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Theakerr
A 2002 does not have an O-ring. The manual says to coat it Locktite Pipe Sealant with Teflon 565. Install and tighten until 0.160-0.180" above the casting. I screw in very gently until it starts to tighten and then check the height.
'03 Service Manual states the exact same thing. This is the right way to do it. The service guy at the local H-D said the same thing, just replace the O-ring ... but there ISN"T one, it is a NPT fitting.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:56 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
To the OP and anyone else looking for information on this forum. I agree that this is a great place to obtain information but you can't just take what you read here as gospel. You have to be smart enough to sort through a lot of misinformation to get to the information you're looking for.

This thread is a perfect example. Of 10 replies that give a specific recommendation or answer to the original question:

Only 2 are the correct response as stated in the manual;

2 replies give a general instruction for NPT plugs and will work, but are not as stated in the manual;

And 6 replies are completely wrong (or do not apply) for the bike in question.

You can see that there is more misinformation than good information. And this is on an issue as elementary as a drain plug installation. Imagine the range of information you'd get on a really complex issue.

Be careful! It's up to you to sort through it all.
Totally agree on the comment about information posted on this or any other forum; good advice. However, if you are saying that the manual way is the only way, we part company. The manual was written for shop techs, not DIY guys and, IMHO, there are alternatives to the manual means and methods that are just as effective.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:19 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Totally agree on the comment about information posted on this or any other forum; good advice. However, if you are saying that the manual way is the only way, we part company. The manual was written for shop techs, not DIY guys and, IMHO, there are alternatives to the manual means and methods that are just as effective.
And I totally agree with you too!

I was simply using the "per manual" procedures as a point of reference in the context of my original post. I didn't mean to imply that it is the only way. In fact, one of the two posts I described as "will work but not necessarily per the manual" was actually mine.

I'm with you on there being more than one way to skin a cat.

But DIYs are also privy to the manual - It's not only for shop guys.

Last edited by 2black1s; 11-04-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:50 PM
lloydrtr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why you should always buy a manual for your model and follow it to a tee. There are always more than one way to skin a cat but I would always follow the manual. At my dealership today asking about best way to torque the back left rocker bolt and the mechanics practically laughed at me. The rarely use torque wrenches. They know their stuff and experience is the key. I prefer exact manual instructions. Always refer to your manual and you won't go wrong.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Just serviced mine again today, '99RKC.

Manual doesn't give a torque spec. Looks as if the plug could be threaded all the way through the primary cover. Nylon pipe thread, inserted till plug was flush...no leaks. There's no o-ring either!!!

It's been stated before, ya get lots of information on this forum. Not all of it is true.

djl is spot on. I've got the manual and I follow it, but the bike isn't gonna fall apart if I deviate on non critical items.

Like was said earlier...

You can get all kinds of advice on anything up to / including engine builds.

Most dudes on this forum have never been inside their (or any) engine, doesn't keep 'em from posting advice...

Old 11-04-2011, 06:53 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

buy a service manual for your bike - it will help in many areas