Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chris Rivas

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 12:05 PM
eds06roadglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chris Rivas motor upgrades

Hey forum,

I was just curious to know if anyone has had work done by Chris Rivas. I am kicking around the Idea of the 98 ci upgrade and head work.. I have had most of what he is going to install already done from the last motor upgrades I did so its probably going to cost around 3300.00. New jugs and head work is the pricey stuff. He seams like he knows his Chit based on the 1 1/2 phone call I had with him. His numbers sound fricken awesome too...110/115 tq and 115/120 hp and he claims its going to be dependable. I don't want to be one of those guys you talk about whos bike halls *** when it's not in the shop getting fixed. Any feed back you guys can give me would be great. Bike is currently 89hp 99tq and all that has been done is in my signature except the Barnett kevlar clutch plates I had installed..

Last edited by eds06roadglide; 11-10-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have met Chris and his wife at their shop in Fresno and spent about a hour talking to him about upgrades to my bike. As you may know, he holds or held the land speed record for the fastest bagger in the world. Although I have not had him do work on my bike, from all of the people I have spoken with Chris is one of the top three mechanics in the state of California. And, I would not hesitate having him do work on my engine. The reason I didn't have the work done was I just didn't want to spend the money and really didn't feel the need for all that power. But, from what others have told me, Chris does great work. He kind of blows your mind as to how much he knows about Harley Davidson engines.

Good Luck!

http://www.chrisrivasvtwin.com/

Attached Thumbnails Chris Rivas-chris_rivas.jpg   Chris Rivas-chris-rivasdscn2381.jpg   Chris Rivas-chris-rivasfltrlsr2.jpg  

Last edited by Terrabella; 11-10-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:41 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have good numbers now? no? If your solution is reliable, i'm interrested in knowing how could i have the same.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:04 PM
eds06roadglide
Cruiser

Frenchrider,

Don't get me wrong my bike gets up and goes but,,,,I could go a bit faster. and for what Chris charges i could of had a lot more for alot less money. I do understand he holds the speed record but I just wish someone had delt with him from the forum....

Old 11-10-2011, 03:56 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

eds06roadglide,
no offense, i just highjacked your thread when i read your numbers and i'm very interrested in especially because you have s&s 510 like me...

and i forget, nice bike too

Old 11-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Terrabella
Road Master

Originally Posted by eds06roadglide
Frenchrider,

Don't get me wrong my bike gets up and goes but,,,,I could go a bit faster. and for what Chris charges i could of had a lot more for alot less money. I do understand he holds the speed record but I just wish someone had delt with him from the forum....
What are your concerns about dealing with Chris? You might asked Chris for references although the guy is pretty well known within the racing circles for his knowledge of Harley's.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:51 AM
eds06roadglide
Cruiser

Terra,

My concern is droping another 3-4000 grand and wind up with so so results... Just don't want to **** the money away!!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Terrabella
Road Master

Originally Posted by eds06roadglide
Terra,

My concern is droping another 3-4000 grand and wind up with so so results... Just don't want to **** the money away!!
I fully understand your concerns. I had a friend spend four grand on engine upgrades and he hates the bike now. The results for him where; engine runs hotter, bad gas mileage, more ware on the engine all for the sake of going fast. So for him it wasn't worth four thousand dollars. This is one of the reasons I didn't have my work done. Having said that, Chris is a top mechanic and has a following of customers who like his work. So, from that viewpoint, I would not be afraid to have him do the mods you are contemplating. Each person has their own needs and for some, having a really fast bike is worth the thousands of dollars spent for that purpose. For me, it isn't worth it but to each their own. Hope it works out for you and you make the decision that fits your wants and needs.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:28 AM
jackinthebox
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I remember correctly didnt binford do you first build. Dropping another 3K for 3 more CI is a lot. Have you thought about a crate motor? Maybe a Se 120 bought online for a discount and have him bolt it in for only labor. Then sell your old motor to recoup some of your cost.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

What compression will you end up with for the build you and Rivas were talking about? Those are some pretty strong numbers for a 98" build. I have no doubt he can do it, just wonder how much compression and what the street manners of the bike will be.

Also interested if he showed you a dyno for a similar build so you can see where the power is being made. It might peak at 115/120, but is that all done above 5000 rpm? If so, it might not be something you are happy with. What kind of power does it make between 2500 and 4500?

Just some other things to consider. I'm sure he does top notch work, just might want to ask some more questions before you decide to spend the cash.

Zach

Quick Reply: Chris Rivas