Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012: RKC remove fuel gauge and replace with second gas cap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:10 PM
blarg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012: RKC remove fuel gauge and replace with second gas cap?

I just ordered one of those harley speedometer/odometer combos that has it's own fuel level display. I wanted to replace the fuel caps with those flush caps you can get from HD. So can I eliminate the left one with the gauge on it and replace it with a second cap that's just a cap? All the kits I've seen look like they come with one cap and one gauge. Is there a kit available that has 2 caps?

Can I remove the wiring and whatever else is on the left side and still have the gauge on my new speedometer work?

Old 12-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Trust me, you cant do it, you will lose the fuel gauge on the speedo/tach. It relies on resistance across the circuit, part of which comes from the fuel gauge on the left. I went through a whole thing on this with my Heritage, and got information through my dealer from a tech at the moco (I saw the email from the tech, so its not dealer bs) that you must have that gauge, whether its the stock one, or the LED one that comes with the kit.

The woes begin at post 36 here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...uel-gauge.html

Last edited by Keithhu; 12-08-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:51 PM
blarg
Road Captain

thank you for saving me a whole lot of headache!

Old 12-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Just buy a used cap and modify it to fit over the stock gauge. This way the guts of the stock gauge ate still there with a fuel cap cover.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Airborne350G
Just buy a used cap and modify it to fit over the stock gauge. This way the guts of the stock gauge ate still there with a fuel cap cover.
Its an interesting idea, my goal with this was to have flush mounts on either side, question is if you can find a flush mount blank to replace the gauge, as you can see from the other thread I linked to, I couldnt find one.

The other question would be how to hide the guts of the old gauge, I wonder if you can just cram the stuff under whatever blank you find.

But really the thing that motivated me to do this was having to pay $200 for the kit which included a fuel gauge I no longer needed, so I thought if I bought just the flush fuel cap and some blank from Drag for the gauge it would be cheaper.

After all the headaches I just decided to buy the whole dang flush mount kit, not worth all the craziness.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:12 PM
blarg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Its an interesting idea, my goal with this was to have flush mounts on either side, question is if you can find a flush mount blank to replace the gauge, as you can see from the other thread I linked to, I couldnt find one.

The other question would be how to hide the guts of the old gauge, I wonder if you can just cram the stuff under whatever blank you find.

But really the thing that motivated me to do this was having to pay $200 for the kit which included a fuel gauge I no longer needed, so I thought if I bought just the flush fuel cap and some blank from Drag for the gauge it would be cheaper.

After all the headaches I just decided to buy the whole dang flush mount kit, not worth all the craziness.
same here. I just thought I could get rid of the redundant gauge and get a cool flush mount cap in the process...but if it's going to cost me $200....meh. It's cool but it's not $200 cool. I'll probably just get a locking gas cap instead for the right side.