Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many here wear a High Visibility Jacket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 05:40 AM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Along with this thread I've studied accidents statistics and found NO.1 cause of motorcycle accidents is women turning left in front of motorcycles.
Why who knows, here is another example of my findings.
SAN TAN VALLEY, AZ - Authorities say a Pinal County Sheriff's deputy is badly injured after a vehicle crashed into his motorcycle unit in San Tan Valley.
Spokesman Elias Johnson said the crash happened around 7:30 a.m. at Gary Road and Skyline Drive.
Deputy Charles Gaston was heading south on Gary Road when the white sedan collided with him, Johnson said.

He said the unidentified female driver of the vehicle failed to yield while making a left hand turn at Skyline Drive.

Gaston's motorcycle struck the left front fender of the vehicle and flew over the hood, striking the pavement, Johnson said.
Gaston has head trauma and has suffered broken ribs, a broken wrist, and has lost several teeth, Johnson said.
Air15 video showed the motorcycle next to the white sedan, with debris scattered around them in the middle of the intersection.
Gaston was airlifted to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center where he's in serious condition, according to Johnson.
Charges are pending, but impairment does not appear to be a factor, Johnson said.

Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region...#ixzz1ig24klVp

Old 01-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Krow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rick14221
I put a headlight modulator on. Keep it on if riding in the city. Seems to help
I'm always afraid someone waiting to enter traffic will see the bike and think, "He's flashing his lights for me to go". Could cause confusion - doesn't take much to confound some people!

Old 01-06-2012, 10:38 PM
margin5
Cruiser

My preference is leather. Been riding for 38 years. Have been designing roads for 30 years (civil engineer). Sight distance at intersections is designed by height of vehicles (current standard is 3.5' above pavement). High vis color may help, but IMO size of vehicle and lights are most important. But still need to play the "what if" game at every intersection.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:07 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear a Harley Hi-Viz mesh jacket all the time... bike is all back, so I figure I need some extra "color" in the mix to be more seen...

Old 01-07-2012, 05:21 PM
12limited
Tourer
Default Yes

Yes always wear a bight flourescen green vest when I ride.
When I first got it...I would wear it sometimes. I noticed a difference around town. Ride in a T shirt folks seem to look you in the eye and then pull right out in front of you. Wear the bright yellow vest and folks almost have that startled look when they realize there is indeed something coming.
My bike is black as my helments and my riding jacket (with a little bit of refelective piping on it)
I did some research mainly on lasers sites for a pistol and discovered the human eye see the color green better than any color...so when I purchased the vest it was flourscent Green.
Cage drivers are looking for a car or truck when they are trying to enter traffic. In other words what will cause them harm or what they are conditioned to look for. Of all our senses the most data comes in from our site. In fact they say so much data that our brains have to discard most of it cause we cannot process every bit of what comes in...or our brains would have to be as big as a good size desk. They do not make helments that big yet. Anyway our brain says look for something specific and we look for cars or trucks...not motorcycles. If you look around the room you are in...you see a lot of stuff...the floor, the ceiling, the door, door but your brain tosses it all our except what you are focusing on or looking for.
Same happeneds to the cage drivers. I myself have almost pulled out in front of a bike...
We have to train our brains to look for bikes. Some states are putting up bill boards and road signs to remind folks to watch for bikes. That is a good thing.
Mean while I am gonna do my part to startle them awake with my loud flourscent green vest. Also use it over my rain gear when I must ride in the rain. I try to avoid riding in the rain and will not ride at night unless I have no choice. To many deer/coons/critters on the road at night for me to risk it.
I found some on LLBean recently that are very light weight, made for runners or bicyclist. About $43 and they work great.

I do not look cool...but I want to do all I can live to ride another day.
Attached is the olympia nova vest and the other is the LLBean

Attached Thumbnails How many here wear a High Visibility Jacket?-2011_nova02.jpg   How many here wear a High Visibility Jacket?-vest.jpg  

Last edited by 12limited; 01-07-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:06 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

I just ordered a Teknic Freeway jacket in Hi-Viz for commuting. The new bike doesn't have the lighting or the color scheme that the Limited had, so I've got to make myself more visible.

Attached Thumbnails How many here wear a High Visibility Jacket?-teknic_2012_freeway_jkt_yellow_detail_1_600.jpg