Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help gettig a bike to start, not sure what to check first?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 06:35 PM
mfortkamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

OK... if it happens with both the stock ecm and the tmax you should be able to rule out the tmax. This is from fuelmoto U1016 Loss of ECM Serial Data the other ones look like turn signal codes.
I would start with looking at the pins on the ecm connector, make sure the pins aren't bent or have corrosion on them.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:55 PM
scoobs
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006ultra
The turn signals do "NOT" work properly. What is VSS?? They flash regularly for 4 seconds then rapidily there after. Here are the codes

b1121
b1122
b1126
u1016

The u1016 code showed up in the last 3 diag sections.

My friend had an LED system installed on the bike if that makes a difference?

b1121=left turn signal open
b1122=right turn signal open
b1126=right turn signal short to voltage

The LED system is probably causing this...is it an HD system? That should hook up no problem...other systems need a modual to balance the electrical system. If they are flashing fast, sounds like the load isn't balanced...bike should still run ok though.

u1016=loss of ECM Serial data. Other than checking the pins on the ECM connector I think your going to need a breakout box to check the rest, thats what the flow chart calls for.

VSS=Vehicle speed sensor...when mine crapped out, the bike ran like crap, stalled at lights/stops, turn signals would not cancel, speedo quit and the cruise wouldn't set.

Check the pins on the connectors...check the connectors on the induction module as well. After that I would look really hard at the IAC.(Idle Air Control)

Old 12-28-2011, 08:31 AM
2006ultra
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I caused the U1016 code. I unplugged the stock ECM while the IGN was on. I checked these codes once before and the U1016 code wasn't there but the rest were.

This is not a HD Led system. It's Biketronics

The speedo works fine on this bike but I don't know about cruise and canceling turn signals??I'm assuming they work because my friend didn't mention it.

I will check the connection there anyway.

Where is the IAC control at?

Old 12-28-2011, 09:48 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Nice shop that your friend took his bike to. Did they only ask for half pay since they did a half-a$$ed job? Was it running well before they "fixed" it? If it was it may be the way that the cams were installed.

You can resynch the ECM to the EFI. It should tell you how in the service manual. The IAC is located on top of the throttle body next to the throttle linkage. There are three wires leading to it. One should be purple and grey. You can try cleaning that and the inside of the throttle body. Make sure that you spray into the two little holes in the top/ inside of the throttle body. Dry it well with low pressure air, or let it air dry or you may get more codes popping up.

You asked before about the ETS measurement . Here is a chart that you can use to determine if it is good or bad.
http://www.hdtalking.com/electrical/..._question.html

Old 12-28-2011, 12:54 PM
2006ultra
Road Captain

Thanks for the help!

The bike ran decent before he took it there but he wanted more power since it's a trike. It ran better as far as power when he got it back but it progressively got worse and worse. They messed with it for three months and I think everyone got tired of the situation so here we are.

I can hardly get the thing to start at this point.

I checked the spark plugs and they were finger tight. LOL The rear plug was so loose that exhaust was showing on the top threads and around the head.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:14 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,506 Likes on 2,485 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobs
Got both service manuals? Electrical and mechanical. Betting it's gonna be something simple like a bad connection(broken pin). Best to go over all the connections first. The symptoms your describing sound a lot like the way my 07 ran when the VSS crapped out. Do the turn signals work correctly? If not, that is your culprit. Still could be a lot of things but it's best to start with the simple stuff...don't over think it...

Another thing to check is the air valve screw. 07's had a problem with them backing out...
What is an "air valve screw"? I have an '07 but NOT familiar with that term.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:42 PM
2006ultra
Road Captain
Default Added Video

Here is a video of the bike as we try and start it and keep it running. When I let go of the throttle the bike idles at 3000 rpm for a while then will just die if i don't keep it running. Notice the backfiring out of the throttle body at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvNLc...ature=youtu.be

Old 12-28-2011, 04:11 PM
2006ultra
Road Captain

I had another thought, could it be that one of the compression releases is stuck open?

Is there a way to deactivate the electronic compression releases?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:27 PM
mfortkamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

dunno bout the compression releases but the way you had to spray ether into the throttle body makes me think that it is a fuel delivery issue. check the fuel pressure you can borrow one from autozone.

This is from http://www.bikerrogue.com/Articles/T...uel_Tester.htm "Granted there are numerous parts to the fuel system, but it all starts with having the proper fuel pressure. For Harley- Davidsons that is 55-62 PSI (pounds per square inch). Too low pressure can cause loss of power, hesitation under acceleration, stalling, back firing through the intake, poor fuel economy and even not starting. "

or another thought was that maybe when the "shop" was working on the bike the injector plugs got switched.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:55 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

o2 sensors hooked up backwards?

Quick Reply: Need help gettig a bike to start, not sure what to check first?