Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing Oil Temp. Gauge.Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Rich67
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fairing Oil Temp. Gauge.Worth it?

Was thinkin bout replacing air temp gauge with oil temp gauge.Is it accurate and worth it?

Old 01-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Mike_M
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you get the HD oil temp gauge, it's reasonably accurate.

Keep in mind:
a) It's an analog gauge
b) Which tic on the dial matches up to which number is not well defined.

Once you get over these issues, it's not bad. You'll soon figure out where the max temp should be on the gauge with normal riding.

I have both the dipstick gauge and the fairing mounted gauge. The temps seem to be within about 10 degrees of each other (keeping in mind that one is analog and one digital). One of these days I may see about switching to a digital gauge for the fairing.

I only got the fairing mounted gauge so that I could keep track of the temps in stop & go traffic.

{edit} One more thing: If you do change the Air Temp for the Oil Temp, I put the Voltmeter down in the Air Temp opening, and installed the Oil Temp where the Voltmeter had been--keeps the oil gauges in the same general location.

Last edited by Mike_M; 01-22-2012 at 01:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FLHBK (10-25-2016)
Old 01-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,553 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Yeah, they're cute. But I've never met anybody that ever shut his bike down to prevent excessive oil temp because his oil temp gauge indicated that his oil was hot.

At over 100,000 miles on mine running NC in all kinds of traffic I'm surely not going to run out and get one now.

Just a doodad to play with IMO with no real practical value. But then neither is much of the stuff we bolt on these things.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:55 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never shut my bike down because the ambient air temp was too hot, but if I have something on that tells me if my bike might be a little too hot.....I might have to shut it down for a while at some local tavern.

Mdbourin (08-11-2016)
Old 01-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm not very concerned about the accuracy of the oil temp gauge; more concerned about the gauge indicating something abnormal--hasn't happened yet in the 3 years it's been on the bike.

+1 on relocating the voltmeter to have the oil temp gauge below the oil pressure gauge--very easy to do.

Carl

Sparkybob477 (03-14-2017)
Old 01-22-2012, 02:27 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time my fairing is apart I will make the switch. The air gauge is worthless.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:58 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

If you run Hogtune speakers and put the OTG in place on the VM, it will read wrong due to the MUCH stronger magnet on the speakers. Pulls the needle over towards the speaker. Doesn't seem to effect the VM

Old 01-22-2012, 04:01 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_M
If you get the HD oil temp gauge, it's reasonably accurate.

Keep in mind:
a) It's an analog gauge
b) Which tic on the dial matches up to which number is not well defined.

Once you get over these issues, it's not bad. You'll soon figure out where the max temp should be on the gauge with normal riding.

I have both the dipstick gauge and the fairing mounted gauge. The temps seem to be within about 10 degrees of each other (keeping in mind that one is analog and one digital). One of these days I may see about switching to a digital gauge for the fairing.

I only got the fairing mounted gauge so that I could keep track of the temps in stop & go traffic.

{edit} One more thing: If you do change the Air Temp for the Oil Temp, I put the Voltmeter down in the Air Temp opening, and installed the Oil Temp where the Voltmeter had been--keeps the oil gauges in the same general location.
+1 on this. I replace the air temp gage when it quit working with the oil temp gage. Turned out that a wire had come off on the air temp. Would I do it again - No. As stated not easy to tell what the temp really is.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:17 PM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have one and do think it is worth having.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:26 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It sucks, mine is at least 40-50 degrees off. How do Iknow, the rear cylinder shuts off when the gauge shows 230. That being said its better than the useless air gauge.

Quick Reply: Fairing Oil Temp. Gauge.Worth it?