Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gotta love the wind

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:16 PM
artz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the desert, where the winds can get bottlenecked and come thru a pass up to 100 mph. Ya gotta be careful.
A friend of mind traveling at 45 mph got hit with high winds. Knocked him off his bike and broke his neck. Dead at the scene.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 545 Posts

I've been locking my saddlebags ever since I had one open up after hitting an expansion joint. That same habit carried over to my KTP when it's on too, and your adventure gives me even more reason to do so.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Can you make a comprehensive claim on your insurance? You can't prevent something like this really, and a TP isn't cheap...

Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Timekeeper10
Cruiser
Default Also in Kansas

Originally Posted by acftgrunt
We had a wind warning today here in Kansas, Gusting 40mph... I have heard of some stories of saddlebags and the lids coming off of them, but today I have to say I think I topped that... Damn Tour-pak lid came off. Got hit with a gust of wind and heard a god awful crack and heard something sliding. Latches still latched, tether broke and pride hurt.

Does any of the smart people know the Part numbers for a assembled Tour-Pak?

I'll post up some pics when I can find the cable for the camera.
I am debating whether to ride from Topeka to Eldorado tomorrow. Winds from the NW at 22 is the forcast. Was the lid locked?

Old 02-24-2012, 04:50 AM
ponch3640
Tourer

I know exactly how those winds are as I rode the.length of the state last on mt way to Colorado springs. Good luck brother keep us posted

Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,483 Likes on 2,481 Posts

they were both ok but said they were going to have a smoke before they rode to the next exit.

Great;another hazard on top of the one they almost experienced!

Old 02-24-2012, 06:12 AM
acftgrunt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fish eye

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Can you make a comprehensive claim on your insurance? You can't prevent something like this really, and a TP isn't cheap...
Already working with the insurance company to get it fixed, there wasn't but about six items damaged and me looking for the price it already is close to 1500 to 2000 in damage.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:13 AM
acftgrunt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Timekeeper10
I am debating whether to ride from Topeka to Eldorado tomorrow. Winds from the NW at 22 is the forcast. Was the lid locked?
The lid was latched, but not locked. That will change when the new one goes on.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:25 AM
Motorbones
Road Master

Last month while riding to the Easyrider Show in Sacramento, my left saddlebag came off going down the freeway. The pins somehow came loose. I received the replacement yesterday and I can tell you both are now bolted on and not just because I don't trust the pins, but also because of the people stealing the damn things now. I've ridden in a couple of pretty intense wind storms, but never had my tour-pak lid pop open.

If you need to make a major replacement, check Ronnie's H.D. on line line. I saved $90 from retail on mine.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 PM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Never heard of that happening before. I'll be locking my bags and tour pak from now on.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was blowing threw NC last summer with my cuz and there was a storm we riding into, we stopped geared up for it, got to it, I have my half hemet inmy back tour pack, put the fullface I hada in there, and bam, I knew I locked it, the dam blew open, it was like I had a sail and i was blown alomst across the highway. Man I hear yeh when it comes to the wind, one never knows.

Quick Reply: Gotta love the wind