Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor build & resale value? does it hurt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:55 AM
aktid35
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally wouldn't buy a bike that was heavily modded unless it was just bolt ons, ie. shiny stuff, and or bolt ons stage 1. Anything beyond that and you just don't know what was done, too much wondering for my taste. Also if you buy a bike that's been modded the owner obviously beat on it, because beating on it stock wasn't fast enough.

Furthermore why would you dump all that money into the engine if you are considering getting rid of it down in a few years anyway?

Old 02-26-2012, 09:57 AM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock motors suck!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:57 AM
JAKE 2544
Road Captain
Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Northwoodz
My opinion.... I would never buy a bike with motor mods. It would always be on my mind, who did the work? Was it done properly? With a warranty? What good would a warranty be if I bought a bike 1000 miles away? Was it done in a garage by a weekend warrior? And I would be inclined not to believe anything involving that anyway. If I'm buying used, I want BONE STOCK. Not something somebody built to hot rod around or beat on. But that's just me.
my opinion as well....

Old 02-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

IF you had paperwork,showing the motor work was done by a shop, with a good reputation, I don't see the problem......

If that's what I was looking for, ofcourse

Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I think the motor work would be like adding accessories,not going to add value.
If the bike is running good and priced right,no problem selling it.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 AM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Build it! You didnt buy your bike to take care of it for the next guy did you?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:28 AM
streetg131
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like most mods, cosmetic or performance, your never getting your money back, but a good build with documentation shouldn't hurt you too much. Just like some guys don't even understand why some of us beef up our motors, many do understand and want the power.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I never worry about resale value. It went down the crapper when HD increased production anyway so why worry? There once was a time when owning a Harley was like money in the bank, but it hasn't been like that for many years.
I wouldn't have any problem buying a bike with motor mods either. I only know of one bike around here that's still being ridden totally stock - they're ALL modded to one degree or another.
I wouldn't pay more for the modded bike, but most mods don't realistically hurt values either. Same goes for what some consider to be 'high' mileage (like 20K+ miles).

Old 02-26-2012, 11:08 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by tidbit1
I would never buy one with a motor build. I prefer stock. I never have understood why spend the money and time to make something that was built to be on a public street/highway go faster, when it is already fast enough to get you killed. JMO

Ride safe
I (respectfully) disagree with the above posters comments, but you should factor his opinion because he probably is in the majority. I.e., he, or anyone who shares his opinion, wouldn't touch a modded bike with a ten foot pole.

In my case, I feel the stock Harley is woefully inadequate in the power department for even normal use such as passing and maintaining Interstate speed limits out west at altitude. We were struggling up grades and being passed by minivans just west of Vegas last summer. No touring bike should be that underpowered imo. Because of that, I had the dealership I bought the bike from do a 107 upgrade with associated modifications. I believe that a well documented build by a reputable shop such as FM or a good Moco shop will at least not hurt resale. If I were the buyer, I would consider a reasonably modified bike over a stock one because I recognize the value of $3500 in improvements that I wold have to do anyway. Under the right circumstances, I might even pay a bit more. Obviously I'm not taking about an over the top 150 HP wheelie machine here.

Bottom line - mods are usually money spent that wil not to be returned. Do it because you want it.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:17 AM
torkrollin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a friend that used to work as a saleman at my local moco dealership. i asked him about adding on all the chrome assy and if i would get anything out of it if i traded it in, and he told me that they would give .50cents on the dollar for the cost of the part, didnt matter if you paid to have it put on. he also told me that if i went to a 103, or 107 upgrade that they would deduct from the book value. no matter who put the parts on (HD service dept, or me).

Quick Reply: motor build & resale value? does it hurt?