Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Closed Loop EFI (Thundermax)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 07:51 PM
nuvi350
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Closed Loop EFI (Thundermax)

Has anyone converted to a closed loop EFI system on their 2006 Street Glide (FLHXI)?
I'm thinking of changing to true duels, "Rineharts" with dual Oxygen sensors and a Thundermax ECM, and Thundermax auto tune module. This will allow later mods with out dyno tune time.

I have had cold start problems and a stumble until it warms up. I have installed a Power Commander and it helped some but not enough. I have the HD-Service bulletin 1185, CVO 25 degree injectors installed but I am still not happy with the driveablity. I"m at my wits end. This new mod is pricey. Is it worth it? I have read reviews from "Zippers" home page and it sounds promising. any thoughts out there?

Old 12-21-2006, 08:05 PM
two dogs
Cruiser
Default RE: Closed Loop EFI (Thundermax)

I have 06 Ultra and did the same thing, could not stand it. Was ready to sell the thing. Installed SERT and bam! all new bike. Not one stumble since. Rinhart true duals and dyno. My **** will outrun my buddies 95" 06 ultra with pcIII. He is just sick.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:07 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No, I haven't but unless they are using wideband O2 sensors, they will only correct for mods, up to a point, for idle and part throttle. You still would have to custom tune for wide open throttle.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:49 PM
hjdistl
Advanced

Thundermax with the Auto Tune does use wideband sensors. Youset your absolute AFR or if you want you can set it @ 256RPM intervals for different AFR.s. So you can have it run say a 13 AFR for WOT or what ever and then have it run say a 14 at your highway cruise RPM. I have about 600 miles on mine and I happen to be HD from Overland Park, KS. in the reviews. I has been the best money I have spent on my bike so far.

Some of the local 95's are tearing their hair out and the tuners are making a lot of money because of my setup. Nothing but a stock 06 Super Glide with AC & Exhaust work but runs very well.

My versions good for up to a 120 CI. They have one for the Jims 120 and above also. The thing that drew me to it was the 30 day money back guarantee. So if it did not work out I was not out of the money. The other thing was the Wide Band Sensors will let me change whatever I want and it will tune itself to the changes I make. Sure beats paying $$$$ to a tuner every timeI want to change something around.

Beside, who drives a bike like they run it on the dyno?????????

Old 12-21-2006, 10:52 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hjdistldoes it adjust timing also in case it spark knocks? This is the system I want just so I don't have to run to a tuner every time I change something

Old 12-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm thinkin on ownin one of these too....tuners mostly suck around here, especially SERT tuners

Old 12-23-2006, 12:17 AM
hjdistl
Advanced

ORIGINAL: gilbos440rt

hjdistldoes it adjust timing also in case it spark knocks? This is the system I want just so I don't have to run to a tuner every time I change something
In the software that comes with it (SmartLinkIV) you can adjust spark advance for front & rear plus trim. My understanding is the Autotune portion of it only handles the AFR to keep it where you want it which in most case should keep ping/knock/pre-detonation out of the equation.

But I really do not know if keeping AFR at a constant will affect ping or not. Back in my young & wild days of street racing I know I always was messing with timing to keep ping out of my engine because of the constant changing of the seasons plus gas quality at times sucked. But I also know changing jets in the carb helped eliminate ping also. So that is why I am thinking a constant AFR has a bearing on ping. I may be all full of it though.

I would recommend calling Zippers and talk to either Pete or Randy and ask them about it. You will have an enjoyable conversation in that they know the product well and if they do not know the answer they can get you the correct answer.

You are supposed to be able to change anything in your build you want, select a map that is close, install the map and then the Auto Tune will take over. To select a map, the software has a map file that you start selecting the various pars to your build. Engine size, heads, exhaust, cams, and all the good stuff. This is all done in the SmartLinkIV software. It is a really neat program in my opinion.

People on this and other forums I am on, have modified bikes and so far everyone really likes what the Thundermax has done for their rides

My original purchase came after I called Zippers and discussed my setup with Pete. He told me they did not have a map to fill my needs but would be working on the setup shortly. 30 days later I got a call and they told me they had a map built for my setup. No commitment from me to wait for them or buy if they did, the just did it and called me to let me know they had it. That is what sold me on Zippers.

You can download the SmartLinkIV software & manuals at the following website

http://www.thunder-max.com/Support/F...tructions.aspx

Get the 2006.16.3 version. It has the closed loop for the Autotune. I

Here is Zippers info
6655-A Amberton Drive Elkridge, Md 21075 410-579-2828 - phone 410-579-2835 – fax

Old 12-23-2006, 12:34 AM
Longtimegone
Road Captain

These closed loop tuners -- ThunderMax, Terry's --sound fantastic. From what I understand the performance ofTerry's is enhanced by a good tune using SERT. Because they adjust on the fly, if they have a good tune to start with they can adjust more accurately and faster on the fly. Is ThunderMax autotune a package deal with ThunderMax EFI? Do they have to be used together?

Old 12-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Bob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Longtimegone

These closed loop tuners -- ThunderMax, Terry's --sound fantastic. From what I understand the performance of Terry's is enhanced by a good tune using SERT. Because they adjust on the fly, if they have a good tune to start with they can adjust more accurately and faster on the fly. Is ThunderMax autotune a package deal with ThunderMax EFI? Do they have to be used together?
The ThunderMax EFI can be used separately (open loop) or with the AutoTune module (closed loop).
The ThunderMax EFI unit was around for several years before the AutoTune feature was developed.
The AutoTune module ONLY works with the ThunderMax EFI unit, but the ThunderMax can be used by itself for installations without O2 bungs.

Additionally, there is no wire cutting. splicing, or harness modification of any kind required since the 2 modules
communicate with each other over the J1850 data bus that's built into all of the later model Fuel Injected bikes.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:09 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I have the Terry Components TVII on my bone stock'04 EG motor with Rinehart True Duals and SE a/c and it has performed as advertised for 15K miles. Ituses a single WEGO to maintain A/F at 13.8 or so. It does not adjust timing, but I haven't noticed any pinging or any other symptom suggesting timing adjustments need to be made. I had the bike dynoed and it provided the same hp and torque as the delearship's dyno room gets with the same pipes, a/c and SERT. So I avoided the dyno room and tech charges, and when I do cams, cylinders, and heads I won't need to go back for more dyno time you are also "buying" with the SERT. For me,the value ofthe incremental hp and torque that is available with the SERT isn't there; let me have a good a/f ratio with the stock timing and avoid the dyno room at the dealershipor tuner's shop and spend the $$$ I would pay them on other bike stuff.

Quick Reply: Closed Loop EFI (Thundermax)