Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to decrease buffeting from gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:12 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by r0ckie
Nice job, katobird. How did you cut the lexan fileholder? How'd you get the edges so smooth and the curve so uniform?

thanks,
R0ckie
It's an old style one that curved in the middle, cut it in half with jigsaw, tape on jigsaw, no damage . Very hard plastic, filed it smooth then sandpaper..

drilled the hole behind the light , put bolt in and made a piece of sheetmettal bent 90 degrees to attach it on lower end

I'm going to look at Office depot,staples for the same kind... This was an old one work was throwing out. It already had the curve

Old 03-31-2012, 09:52 AM
r0ckie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buffeting on 09 UC

Been following this thread for awhile and really appreciate all the comments. One comment I thought I saw here but I can't find it now said he used the Harley fork wind deflectors on his Ultra (even though the catalog says they won't work with lowers) by shifting the lowers slightly outward on the crash bar. I tried this and it worked. Thanks to whoever posted that tip. The lowers won't move far but it was enough that the fork deflectors won't touch them now. And they're around $70, considerably cheaper than the Jescustoms version that has cutouts to allow lowers clearance.

As for the effect, I haven't hit a slab with them yet but on the local 4-lane they seem to be eliminating a lot of the air that was coming up the front of the tank. Not all of it but a significant amount. I'm not crazy about the look yet but I'm old geezer enough to prefer comfort over style - LOL. I've also concluded there's no silver bullet for this problem. Rather, I think several little things will greatly improve it though probably never get rid of it entirely. But it is a bike, right? I'll try this on the interstate and maybe go the next step to a windsplitter, etc. depending on how the deflectors work at speed. I'll have to do a little more research - like one member said, I don't mind spending the $ but dang, that trial-and-error method gets expensive!

Thanks to all,
R0ckie
2009 White Gold/Pewter Ultra Classic - Rush slip-ons, center-stand, some sparkly stuff.

The following users liked this post:
Bobby-b (01-05-2021)
Old 07-30-2012, 06:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Maxcustody
Here is a pic of what they are talking about. These came stock on my Ultra.

I just bought a set and they arrived today. They even fit my 1990 Glide! Just clipped straight on. I have the factory oval fog lamps, so fork deflectors won't work, which is why I was interested in these. I may add some packing to make them a snug fit behind my tank flanges, but they clear everything on full lock and look very promising. It may be a while before I test ride them, as I'm tinkering on other stuff at present, but I'm optimistic.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I tried those on my 09 FLHX with no luck. At full lock they popped off. Sold them to a buddy that needed them for his roadie. I liked the idea alot and with some modification I am sure they would work fine on my bike, but not that interested in working them.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Keeping an eye on this thread, Bagger Beard gets pretty annoying without braiding.