Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant on Harley (pissed)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:31 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Wondering if people on the forum compliment as much as complain?

With all due respect for the OP, it does seem like he has had his share of issues on the '09

Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Nah Reese they will be the same # anyway, the dealers are hooking me up but I feel this will be my last tour on a Harley touring bike. Nothing against the dealers, this is a Harley recurring issue. I am that pissed and don't think I can reconcile touring on a Harley touring bike, will keep my Dyna though.

Originally Posted by reesestewww
Damn Jerry I'm sorry to hear this! Wasn't one of the dealers in AK taking stock parts of a bike to fix issues with the Hoka Hey riders? Maybe you can get some of that service out there.....

Keep up posted!

Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timvan
While at bike week I was hanging with Rick Fairless and Arlen Ness, I asked them what their current favorite RIDING bikes were... they both replied, Victory.

I asked why,
They both said, the build is amazing and the ride is even better. Rick said he was cruising on a Victory out west and didn't realize that he was doing over 100mph, the mirrors weren't even shaking, until I looked at the speedo..

Im not ditching my Harley, but its easy to see why people are switching brands...issue here, issue there.. stuff that shouldn't be a issue at all!
Arlen Ness has a huge financial stake in victory and you believe him?

Old 04-10-2012, 12:39 PM
PhoneGuy-MI
Tourer

Originally Posted by timvan
While at bike week I was hanging with Rick Fairless and Arlen Ness, I asked them what their current favorite RIDING bikes were... they both replied, Victory.

I asked why,
They both said, the build is amazing and the ride is even better. Rick said he was cruising on a Victory out west and didn't realize that he was doing over 100mph, the mirrors weren't even shaking, until I looked at the speedo..
Agreed, but those guys don't pay for their Victory's which means they don't have to deal with the huge decline every month in resale value. Ask me how I know... Yes, they are a great engineered bike but ever since I switched to my SG, all I can say is it rides way nicer then my Victory. My only measurement is how my back feels after a long ride. When I would get off my Victory I was hunched over like an old man, now I hop off the SG as I should without any back pain.
They can have their nice stiff mirrors and low resale value while my back is nice and happy.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:39 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I know what you are saying man, I am not a Harley basher, I am just at my whits end, I actually understood the comp issue they were having, changed frame and other major changes you will have a glitch but never came to terms with front wheel bearing as that can kill you quick, now the regulator issue is just a basic problem that should not have happened in the first 2 months or 4600 miles and its seems to be a major issue with teh 12 touring bikes according to the dealers here.. But I do understand where you are coming frI do have to be candid and tell you guys I ride the bikes looong and hard,I am only in the US for 5-6 months out of the year and log 25 - 35 k miles per year (including my dyna).

Originally Posted by hoethree
Wondering if people on the forum compliment as much as complain?

With all due respect for the OP, it does seem like he has had his share of issues on the '09

Last edited by masterblaster; 04-10-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Ghostman574
Advanced

Make sure the issue really is the regulator...If you have never changed your battery, it may be losing its charge with the dry desert air. I had a perfectly running battery in CA, and when I moved to AZ within 24 hours it was dead.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostman574
Make sure the issue really is the regulator...If you have never changed your battery, it may be losing its charge with the dry desert air. I had a perfectly running battery in CA, and when I moved to AZ within 24 hours it was dead.
It's a 2 month old 2012.....

Old 04-10-2012, 12:55 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
I know what you are saying man, I am not a Harley basher, I am just at my whits end, I actually understood the comp issue they were having, changed frame and other major changes you will have a glitch but never came to terms with front wheel bearing as that can kill you quick, now the regulator issue is just a basic problem that should not have happened in the first 2 months or 4600 miles and its seems to be a major issue with teh 12 touring bikes according to the dealers here.. But I do understand where you are coming frI do have to be candid and tell you guys I ride the bikes looong and hard,I am only in the US for 5-6 months out of the year and log 25 - 35 k miles per year (including my dyna).
Master, nothing but respect here for ya. Followed you in the Hoka Hey.

I think I realize that every time I head out on an extended tour that I am completely at the mercy of the MoCo's Engineering Dept.....is something gonna break while I am out here in the middle of freaking nowhere? Yeah, I have a cellphone and I have Road Protection Insurance and all that, yadda, yadda.....but thats no consolation when you are sitting there on the side of the road in the hot sun waiting and waiting and waiting for a towtruck.

I bought my StreetGlide in 2010 after many years on my 1999 FXR2 (still have it) and immediately became concerned about all the horror stories I read here on the forum. Thought I had really made a mistake on the new (then) Harleys. Figured they would have about 10 years of great new engineering to make them just about bulletproof. Guess that is not the case. I have heard more complaints about the most recent crop (2012) than 2010s or 2011s. Maybe all that costs savings is beginning to work for the new CEO of Harley.....their profits are up but quality has seemed to suffer. There is so much computer crap on the new bikes that if anything does fail you just about have ZERO chance of fixing it yourself and must rely on the nearest Harley dealership (scary!!!!). So far I have not had any breakdown and have not been stranded. I plan to put at least 100K miles on this bike and I hope the next 75K are as trouble free as the first 25K.
I will agree that a breakdown while blasting around town in your home town is not nearly as intimidating as being in the middle of the White Mountains of Arizona or the hot flats of southern New Mexico. Hope Chester's gets you going quickly!

Old 04-10-2012, 12:58 PM
harley_badboy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

2010 Limited, NOOOOO Problemo.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Kushman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would **** me off too, guess that is why I stick to the ol tried and true and am what is considered a lagger. As far as the Vic. what an ugly **** you cant be serious. Just because its new dosnt make it better, only more expensive.

Quick Reply: Rant on Harley (pissed)