Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BrightAssLights recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 12:10 PM
CWO USN
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default BrightAssLights recommendations?

Looking at adding another mod to my 2012 FLHR.

BrightAssLights offer two versions I'm interested in and would like some inputs as to which one would fit my riding needs better.

- BAL-1 w/license plate light (red lens with clear section).

- BAL-1R (all red lens) just like my OE tail light.

More light is better for me since there are times I do ride well into darkness.

Would the BAL-1 shine more light since it comes with the clear section on top and I don't have anything that it needs to illuminate other than maybe the sissy bar or luggage?

Or going "stock" withe the BAL-1R just as well?

Thanks for any and all inputs.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:18 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have BAL on both my 07 FLH & 2010 Tri Glide and they are worth every penny. You can't go wrong with either one you want.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:24 PM
bucket772
Cruiser

The license plate light on the BAL-1 is a separate LED then the lighting for the rear. It does not get brighter and dimmer like the factory bulb.

It works pretty well to light up the plate. We have reflective plates in Jersey.

Either way the light to the rear is the same and VERY bright and noticeable.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:13 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap dude have you ever even seen one of them in person?

it won't matter which one you go with they are as bright as the SUN, you can't go wrong here, you litterally just have to decide do you want a little white light on your license plate or just the red

my preference was to go with the smoked laydown version and that is still 20x brighter then stock and once you hit the brakes, depending on what sequence you have selected the only thing you have to worry about is a plane landing on top of your *** because they think you are part of the airport landing lights.

the amount of light is tremendous and you will not have any issue with whatever you choose.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:26 PM
skjskmata
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lgenf
Holy crap dude have you ever even seen one of them in person?

it won't matter which one you go with they are as bright as the SUN, you can't go wrong here, you litterally just have to decide do you want a little white light on your license plate or just the red

my preference was to go with the smoked laydown version and that is still 20x brighter then stock and once you hit the brakes, depending on what sequence you have selected the only thing you have to worry about is a plane landing on top of your *** because they think you are part of the airport landing lights.

the amount of light is tremendous and you will not have any issue with whatever you choose.
I also have the smoked laydown version, with the license plate light. I got the one with the license plate light just because that's what the stock had. The "window" for the license plate light is small and I seriously doubt it will make a difference as to what the motorist behind you sees. You can also separately adjust the brakes-on and brakes-off brightness/intensity.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:35 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the BAL 1 with licence plate section. You should check with your local riding areas as at least up here in Ontario it is required by law to have a white light which illuminates the plate.
They are great lights, whichever one you go with.

1HarleyGuy1

Old 05-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My bike came stock with the license plate light window, and that's the BAL version that I got.

Personally, I wanted to keep it stock looking, in part because those lights are expensive and might be a temptation to steal.

Its a great product & well worth the money!

Old 05-24-2012, 01:49 PM
CWO USN
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Appreciate everyones inputs.

Alright, we're splitting hairs here.

I should be a bit more clear on what I was trying to figure out.

My FLHR has the same set-up as the BAL-1R. All red. The license plate light is courtesy of a separate lighting system from the tail light.

Now here's the dilema:

If I go with the BAL-1 which is red with clear light window on the top, which is meant to illuminate the license plate if it were mounted above the taillight; would I get some "extra" lighting directed to either my sissy bar or if I'm riding with luggage, to that area?

Old 05-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

hmm... probably a little, but it might not have the right angle to reflect off your luggage or bar. If that's the effect you want, maybe look into some aux LED lights that are designed for ambient lighting.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:58 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

then I would just go with the all Red version as that light is not going to travel up and illuminate anything, it will be sooooo dull and dark compared with the direct light coming out the lense that is directed directly at those behind you it will not matter

Quick Reply: BrightAssLights recommendations?