Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Clutch cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:10 AM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken Clutch cable

Was riding the other day broke the clutch cable.

Here's the catch, earlier today, my Indy, swapped my 5 speed transmission for a S.E. 6 speed which by the way is awesome.

Have about 80 miles on the new transmission and the clutch cable gives out.
checked the connection where the braided cable ties into the main clutch cable, pulled the boot back, it's covered with oil from the transmission, lots of it too!
My question, is I only have four stops to the Indy mechanic, should I tow it or try to ride it there?
Second question, can anyone tell me what the problem could be?

Old 06-05-2012, 06:30 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Will need some pics but a couple question, is the cable broken or does it feel broken? If the actuator is not installed correctly and is releases it can feel like the cable broke. The cable is one piece all the way down to the chrome clutch cover by the exhaust by your right foot. That black boot your reff to is where you adjust it to pull up slack in the cable to the lever on left grip. If you can still shift into gears and its not foo far it should be alright to take to the indy...are they the ones that did the original work? I personally would have installed a new cable since they had it apart originally. I dont see how tranny oil can get all the way up to the adjuster since theres no pumping action the gears just roll around in the oil.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:48 AM
davidw221
Supporter

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Will need some pics but a couple question, is the cable broken or does it feel broken? If the actuator is not installed correctly and is releases it can feel like the cable broke. The cable is one piece all the way down to the chrome clutch cover by the exhaust by your right foot. That black boot your reff to is where you adjust it to pull up slack in the cable to the lever on left grip. If you can still shift into gears and its not foo far it should be alright to take to the indy...are they the ones that did the original work? I personally would have installed a new cable since they had it apart originally. I dont see how tranny oil can get all the way up to the adjuster since theres no pumping action the gears just roll around in the oil.
I inspected the cable all the way down to the transmission, and didn't see any breaks, but it could be broken at the transmission, with that **** that's on the end of the cable.
The actuator, could be the problem, it just didn't break, I squeezed the clutch lever, and the return didn't seem right, after shifting for four or five time, I didn't have any clutch.
It was gradual.
The oil issue puzzles the bejeebers out of me!

Old 06-05-2012, 06:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Harley clutch cables are straight off a suspension bridge - I'd be surprised if they can break! Also the symptoms you describe don't sound like a cable problem. Definitely worth getting it back to your indy.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:11 AM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Simple look, pull the derby cover off and confirm the jam nut did not back off the clutch adjustment Allen head bolt.

If that's the problem, loosen the clutch cable, tighten the Allen head bolt until it makes contact, back off half a turn, tighten the jam nut (not sure of the torque setting) tighten the clutch cable until there is about 1/16" clearance between the clutch lever housing and the barrel on the clutch cable. 15 min job tops.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:21 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Has the clutch action been hinky the whole time or getting worse, they may have got busy and skipped that step been known to happen?

Old 06-05-2012, 12:48 PM
davidw221
Supporter

it got worse, and now I have found oil dripping out of the bottom of the outer primary!
doesn't look good to me!

Old 06-05-2012, 12:55 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Somethings def not right....let us know once you find out what they did.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:35 PM
davidw221
Supporter

going out to the barn have to take off the passenger floorboard to take off the derby cover!
then I will take some pics and post them in here!

Old 06-06-2012, 02:49 PM
davidw221
Supporter

Took the derby cover off, the bolt from the clutch came unscrewed, took the primary off, found it lying on the bottom of the primary, tightened it back on, filled with oil, I'm good to go, thanks, guys for your comments!

Quick Reply: Broken Clutch cable