Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clatter & Shake - Very concerned now...

Old 07-23-2012, 12:27 PM
chief1600
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Clatter & Shake - Very concerned now...

Not happy and quite concerned. Here's my story...

I have a 2012 Ultra with just over 4000 miles. At 1458 miles I had to have the compensator assembly replaced. Some of you may remember that post. On Friday I was riding around and the bike started to shake and clatter terribly again. I pulled off the road and called a local dealer about 40 miles from where I was. I explained what was going on and that the compensator had been replaced in the past. The service guy said 'just take it easy and drive it in'. So, I started the bike up and took off down the road. Low and behold it was running OK. I could still hear a little clatter but there was no vibration. Weird. I drove without incident to the dealer. The service manager listened to the clatter and said there was certainly a problem and was able to get it on a lift right away for me. (Big thanks to the dealer.) They took the primary cover off and found the bolt holding the compensator on was loose and the chain was over tightened. The service tech fixed it and took it for a ride and said all was good. I was very thankful and still am for them taking the time out of their day to work on my bike.

However, I headed back home (60 miles from the dealer) and could still hear the clatter. Now, I'd heard this same clatter in the past but I figured it was just another of the many "Harley" sounds that I had to get used to. I sat in my garage with the bike idling and in nuetral and pulled the clutch in - clatter gone. Let the clutch out - clatter back. So on and so on. I called a buddy of mine to have him stop by with his Ultra - same exact motor - so I could listen to it. On his bike with the clutch in - no clatter. Clutch out - no clatter. Something isn't right in my opinion but the techs said it was fine. Hmmm...

The next morning (Saturday) we were leaving for a trip we had been planning for quite some time. Off we went. My bike seemed to be running fine for the first 200 miles. We arrived in Superior, WI at one of our stops and to that point all was OK. I won't say perfect because the clatter was still there but it wasn't anything unusual - based on the bikes history. When we got back on the bikes and I put it in first to head out THE VIBRATION & LOUD CLATTER NOISE WAS BACK. I didn't know what to do. I drove to the hotel about 2 miles away and checked in. We decided to go to Canal Park in Duluth, MN. Went back to the bike and headed out. Vibration and clatter was there. Just not running right. Left Canal Park that evening - vibration and clatter. Left it sit overnight at the hotel. Got back on in the morning (Sunday) to go get gas. You guessed it - vibration and clatter. Stopped at the gas station, filled up and headed out. NO VIBRATION & "normal" CLATTER. WHAT THE HELL. (No, it's not bad gas) Anyway, I drove all the way from Superior, WI to my home - about 200 miles - and it seemed to run fine.

I know there's certainly something wrong with the bike and if it keeps ending up being the compensator then I'd guess there's something else causing it. The bike has an SE comp in it. I'm afraid I'll take it to the dealer and they won't experience the intermittant problem and it won't get fixed. This whole issue sucks. This is my first Harley and I absolutely LOVE the bike but I don't deal well with mechanical issues on a brand new bike. I just want to ride it - not worry about it. I take exceptional care of it and every bike I've ever owned. I don't ride like an idiot, beating the **** out of it.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing my compensator issues, clatter, vibrations, etc. I'm taking it back to the dealer that helped me on Friday tonight. I told them I don't want it back until they find the issue and correct it. They said they'd be sure to run this past their HD rep. I'm not sure what good that will do, as I'm not familiar with HD's policies quite yet but hopefully they'll figure something out.

Any feedback would be appreicated.
Thanks

Old 07-23-2012, 01:12 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Clutch hub bearing?

Old 07-23-2012, 01:18 PM
chief1600
Road Master

Would a bearing be intermittant like that?

Old 07-23-2012, 01:22 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Chatter is gone when the lever is pulled it and back when the lever is out? Yes. If I remember correctly, mine (on my '07) was worse when hot. Just an idea.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:35 PM
chief1600
Road Master

Would that account for the intermittant vibration too? Sorry to keep pestering.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

There is a bulletin out on the noise coming fromthe right side of the transmission. Makes noise when hot and clutch lever is all the way out. Noise stops when clutch lever is pulled in all the way.

bulletin number is M-1304 and was issued on 8-31-2011

Old 07-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

I hesitate to mention this because you are an intelligent guy but I think you might be too close to this and as a result you are over analyzing the problem,whatever that may be. You have all the cards in your hand. The bike is new and in warranty for 24 months. You have taken it in for service and given them the opportunity to fix anything that was not right. Now, ride the damn thing and when it eats itself up, let them make it right. That is what the warranty is for. We all pay for it when we buy a new bike. I call it our 2 year insurance policy.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:11 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The noise (when hot) with clutch out and then goes away with clutch pulled in is called neutral rattle and yes that is considered normal. The comp nut coming loose and repaired by the dealer on the road makes me wonder if they used locktight on the bolt, and if they did, did they let it set up before you drove it away?

Old 07-23-2012, 02:12 PM
chief1600
Road Master

Originally Posted by Retrop
I hesitate to mention this because you are an intelligent guy but I think you might be too close to this and as a result you are over analyzing the problem,whatever that may be. You have all the cards in your hand. The bike is new and in warranty for 24 months. You have taken it in for service and given them the opportunity to fix anything that was not right. Now, ride the damn thing and when it eats itself up, let them make it right. That is what the warranty is for. We all pay for it when we buy a new bike. I call it our 2 year insurance policy.
I appreciate you're response, however I don't believe the dealer/techs have actually experienced the shake I'm referring to. They have only heard the clatter. I can say when it happens there's a big difference in what the bike feels like compared to what it should/used to. I can understand completely the idea behind the "ride it since you've already reported it" thought but I KNOW that something isn't right and I don't want to be on a trip and have issues. I didn't buy it to worry everytime I go for a ride whether or not I'll make it home. I want to know the bike will get me there and back.

So, overanalyzing - NO. Trying to explain exactly what I experienced so that other, more experience riders of HD products can chime in with ideas on what could be causing it - YES.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:16 PM
chief1600
Road Master

Originally Posted by RAP
The noise (when hot) with clutch out and then goes away with clutch pulled in is called neutral rattle and yes that is considered normal. The comp nut coming loose and repaired by the dealer on the road makes me wonder if they used locktight on the bolt, and if they did, did they let it set up before you drove it away?
If you're referring to letting the locktight set up after the fix on Friday, my initial response would be NO. Once he was done putting it back together and filling it with oil he took it for a ride. When he got back and I took care of the paperwork with the service manager, I took off with it. How long should the locktight have sat?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clatter & Shake - Very concerned now...