Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems, Problems, Problems - 2011 FLTRU

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:51 PM
buttnit
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problems, Problems, Problems - 2011 FLTRU

Ok, fell in love with the 2011 RG Ultra, purchased it in July 2010. Took delivery of the bike in October 2010. I drove the bike for about 600 miles, and then starting personalizing. I put HD heated grips on, Dakota Digital gauges (all 6), Vance and Hines true duals and intake, PCV, and the Hog Tunes tweeter pod and 4 speaker set-up with lowers.

Now is when all the problems started. The TPS went out and the dealership blamed the heated grips. This happened when I was still stationed in Germany. HD refused to warranty it so it cost me about $700. They replaced the TPS and cut the heated grip wiring, disabling them. After they returned the bike to me, I noticed that my Dakota digital Tach had some burned out nodes on it, but since I was returning to the US, I figured I would get it replaced here.

Fast forward a couple of months and Dakota Digital sent me a new gauge, and I took the bike to Rommel's HD in Wilmington (formerly Mike's Famous). I told them the problems the bike had, and they looked into it. Said the heated grips were fried, and replaced them, and then said the new gauge from Dakota was bad as it kept blowing the fuse. Also, the badlands module for my taillights was now fried due to a brake wire they found rubbing the frame. They also replaced the right side radio switch which broke in two. They put the old gauge back in, and $1200 I was out the door.

Shortly thereafter, the cruise control went out, along with the new badlands module. I also supplied them with a new, bench-tested gauge from Dakota which, they said kept blowing fuses again. $235 later, I was told that the digital gauges are causing these problems, the led front and rear turn signals are causing the problems, and Harley is having issues with digital gauge set-ups (they warranted the cruise control switch). They told me if I try to get any more warranty work it will be denied until I put the bike back to stock. I threatened them with lemon law and they laughed and said all the "modifications" I made would rule in their favor.

So everyone, I am at a loss as to what to do. My old Fatboy is sorely being missed right now. Is anyone having electrical problems with the new bikes? I have the Dakota gauges still installed, with the tach that has the burned out leds. I am to the point of returning the bike to stock and selling it.

The following users liked this post:
whocares (05-03-2016)
Old 07-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Man, that bike has too much bad karma associated with it. Drop it like a bad penny and move on. Either that or you have had a lot of barnyard mechanics working on it. Either way, too much bad karma.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:39 PM
buttnit
4th Gear

forgot to mention, that after picking the bike up, front speakers don't work and cig lighter is inop...got to love a good experienced HD garage!

Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Wasnt 2011 the year that MoCo released an entirely new computerized wiring system? the cute name they have for it escapes me right now but I remember reading that it was a total revamp from anything on previous years.......maybe that has something to do with all these problems?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Sounds like you got a friday bike.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:53 PM
ultrat
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LAN system ..its like 1 wire carrys all the info..it went into softails 1st..

Old 07-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Start over, most of your upgrades weren't even Harley yet you blame Harley.

I'd take the Dakota Digital gauges out, put the stock gauges back in and see if it still has issues.
Then I'd take the Power Comander off and see if it still has problem.

I had a buddy who had a Power Comander on his Fat Bob and was having all kinds of trouble. He took it off and everything was fine from then on. Maybe you got a bad PCV. I'm not saying PCV's are bad, maybe just a bad one. You won't know until you take it off.

I also know of guys having terrible problems with the LED lights causing problems when they weren't installed properly.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:56 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Simple question, how did the bike run BEFORE all the mods?

Old 07-24-2012, 04:09 PM
buttnit
4th Gear

Yep, gonna start over this weekend. This is not my first Harley or my first motorcycle, just the first I have ever had so many problems with. And yes, I do blame MoCo for creating motorcycles with so much proprietary equipment and technology that you are forced to carry it to the dealer for everything but the simplest bolt-on. I guess that's the price we pay for wanting the latest and greatest.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking of getting a new RG Ultra. Hmmm...

Quick Reply: Problems, Problems, Problems - 2011 FLTRU