Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercom cell phone thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:14 AM
hotwire120
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercom cell phone thoughts

So here is a question I have seen around but never an answer, I ride 2up a larger majority of the time and recently got my 12 limited. In experimenting with the intercom/headsets, I want to use my ( or well the OL) cell for music/GPS/chatting and cell phone. (Numerous reasons for each....only way we can get out to ride is to "Stay connected"....and yes she would do all the controls/operations from behind me)

So I plugged an audio cable in the front of the HK and into the cell.....and viola with the headset ...I can hear the phone music, GPS, intercom and even "hear" phone calls. But this is where the problem, it’s evident that the interface for the microphone is not tied into the AUX jack and should be an interface that HK could enable. Since the old corded headset for cell phones have the input/output and mic all enabled in the jack ....I know the phone can do it.

I know you can go the Bluetooth Route, but I’m somewhat old fashioned and would rather deal with cords vs. having to mess with batteries and linking.

I’m sure by now many people have tagged HK trying to get them to enable the jack...but have they been receptive or willing to listen?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:34 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Invest in the voice mail option .
When the phone vibrates, let it go to voice mail and pull over when it is safe.
There are enough distractions for a rider to worry about and not have to listen to the other half give you the grocery list on your way home.
Your opinions will differ.
Rob

Old 08-07-2012, 10:14 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no experience with it myself but several people here have mentioned it in the past.

And I think it will do what you want, the H-D Bomm

http://www.hdbomm.com/

This is copied from the above web page.

Hands Free cell phone calls while you ride.

The H-D Bomm is a helmet microphone to GPS interface and is made for a 1999 – 2012 Harley Davidson with a Sound Design or Harmon Kardon radio system. It enables the driver to take or initiate a cell phone call using your existing helmet mounted microphone and your Bluetooth enabled GPS and Bluetooth cell phone. How the H-D Bomm works. The Bomm was designed and is hand made by me in the USA not imported from China.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:00 AM
07glidemike
Novice

How about texting

Old 08-07-2012, 11:51 AM
hotwire120
Intermediate

Ultra 95, i wish that were an option. too many people have to get ahold of either of us on a moments notice (esp me, i work with and for the Submarine fleet and am on tech call 24/7)

VZTS, ive actually looked at that but i dont want to have to add bluetooth in as well to the mix ...or another GPS unit (trying to consolodate as much as possible)

07 ...isnt that why we have cruise control on there for?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Since you asked for thoughts I'm gonna partially hijack your thread. Partially because my thoughts are that bluetooth is the way to go. I have Cardo's Scalla headsets. They're bluetooth, & they work!

Now for the hijack..... Yesterday we decided that after 6 or 7 years our Scalla intercom was gettin' a little weak, so we decided to upgrade. Off to The Helmet Shop in Daytona! A reasonable plastic contribution later & we're headed home with Cardo's Scalla Q2 system. The intercom is louder & clearer.

At home a little time pairing the new system with my Zumo 550 proved that I'd purchased a bad set.... Proved the problem was in the new units a little too late to go back, so we were back on their door step when they opened this morning. Took about 10 minutes to convince everyone that I knew what I was talkin' about. No need to change the mounts, or speakers, just swap the units. The new ones sounded even better over the intercom, so I headed home to pair to the GPS/phone.

15 minutes gettin' everything paired & tested, & I was on the phone with The Helmet Shop thankin' 'em for their help. They're a good place for helmets, jackets, all sorts of riding gear.

The new Cardo integrates the GPS, the phone, & intercom. It has a built in radio & will work with mp3 either wired or bluetooth. I'll never use the last two features, but they're there. I don't know if it will relay your phone GPS, but it might be worth checkin' out.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:41 PM
make it faster
Advanced

I'm sure the wireless sets are nice but I do like the stock system for one reason. No batteries!

Old 08-07-2012, 03:46 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

I have Cardo Scala wireless system, but I keep the phone completely out of it.

IMO, anyone who uses a cell phone while riding (wired, bluetooth, or whatever) is just a statistic waiting to happen.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Wilburcat
Advanced

I have a 10' EG Ultra Limited & an iPhone. I am on-call alot so I need to be able to answer immediately and pull over or not ride.... I chose answering. With the AUX in plugged into the front of the radio & your VOX on the intercom system you can have a two way conversation with no problem. I found that if you turn the VOX to the second to the highest setting just before it goes to open you will not need to use the push to talk button. You have to ensure the COMM system is on though. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2012, 04:24 PM
brewdog
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue. Ended up buying the Scala Rider G9 set. What a great product. I don't use all of the communications and social features it has to offer, but they work flawlessly and were well worth the 500 bucks they cost. The batteries last hours and hours of continuous talking and use. The blue tooth communications is the way to go. You won't have to compete with truckers or anyone else for airtime.

Quick Reply: Intercom cell phone thoughts