Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshields

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:14 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,544 Posts
Default windshields

2012 streetgilde and was thinking of a taller windshield i'm about 5'10'' tall.want to see over the top.what do you guys suggest.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

When your sitting on the bike the top of the windshield should be between the tip and middle of your nose. Have someone help you measure and that's the height you want. Just because your 5' 10 doesn't mean anything. Some people have longer torso's than others.

From the Memphis Shades Website

Most riders like to be able to see over their windshields. But in order to do this and still get ample protection, the windshield must reach up between the tip and the bridge of a riders nose. If it doesn't, a rider will experience mild to severe buffeting.
Many riders like looking through their windshields, but what they often fail to account for is rain. When it rains everyone has to look over the top of the windshield in order to see clearly. When choosing a windshield it's vital a rider chooses one that isn't so high that he or she can't comfortably extend themselves to see up over the top of the windshield.

Last edited by KCFLHRC; 11-14-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:41 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

We also have a good video on our website for measuring too. WE'd be happy to help you on the phone as well if you like. 775-331-3789 : )

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 AM
F150Marine
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lrs

LRS

I see you jump on all threads pertaining to windshield questions. While I understand the need to keep saying "look at us, look at us" these forums are here to share information not an area to provide a sales pitch. I would like to add that your comments would be appropriate if you could add value to the discussion. For example I would like to see some facts and comparisons of products. For me honestly sells products, pushing your product on all threads gives off a used car salesman feel. To be honest in past threads it has pushed me to look at the others first. To add yes I am also really shopping for a shield.

What I would really like to do is get some wind tunnel time and do a full review of LRS, Klock Werks, HD and the others. I think facts would be good for everyone.

LRS, everyone says they are the best but no one ever shows proof of results that can help customers compare. I challenge you to show your own test results as I am sure you have tested the others.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Demolitionman
Tourer

My stock windshield does the job after I changed my bars for some reason. But I'm the same height as you with a 30" inseam, and the stock windshield off my buddy's cvo street glide feels great. I don't know if it is a 6" or 8". The bad part about shields though is what works for me, might not work for you. My local dealer has demo shields from the moco and other manufacturers. Check your local dealer for the same.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 PM
F150Marine
Cruiser
Default idea

For the forum I would like to start putting together a excel document to chart bike, inseam, height and shield used and results. I think this would be handy for everyone (would prevent reading all the boards).

Example

11 SG, 5-8, 30 inch inseam, KW 6.5 Great
11 SG, 5-10, 32 inch inseam, KW 6.5 OK
09 SG, 5-10, 33 inch inseam, KW 8.5 Good
11 SG, 5-9, 31 inch inseam, LRS 8 Bad
12 SG, 5-9, 30 inch inseam, HD WS 8 OK

Thoughts?

Old 11-14-2012, 12:22 PM
jkloeker
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by F150Marine
LRS

I see you jump on all threads pertaining to windshield questions. While I understand the need to keep saying "look at us, look at us" these forums are here to share information not an area to provide a sales pitch. I would like to add that your comments would be appropriate if you could add value to the discussion. For example I would like to see some facts and comparisons of products. For me honestly sells products, pushing your product on all threads gives off a used car salesman feel. To be honest in past threads it has pushed me to look at the others first. To add yes I am also really shopping for a shield.

What I would really like to do is get some wind tunnel time and do a full review of LRS, Klock Werks, HD and the others. I think facts would be good for everyone.

LRS, everyone says they are the best but no one ever shows proof of results that can help customers compare. I challenge you to show your own test results as I am sure you have tested the others.
You think that may be part of the reason they pay to sponsor the forum?

Old 11-14-2012, 12:33 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

There at least 2 windshield manufacturers, LRS and Freedom Shields, that will allow you to return the windshield for a different size as long as the protective film hasn't been removed. Kinda hard to beat a deal like that. That way you can test ride and make sure it's the right height. Lots of things come into play for windshield suitability besides height and inseam. Lowers come into play, wind deflectors, helmet type if any at all and several other things I'm sure.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jkloeker
You think that may be part of the reason they pay to sponsor the forum?
Kinda what I thought too, 14 posts and he's already kicking the sponsor.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,958 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I use the LRS Stealth. It kicks the air up over me and my passenger, but I still see over the windshield. Also, it feels like it plants the front wheel more firmly on the road.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: windshields