Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat wrap

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 PM
oricko
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Heat wrap

Has anyone ever used the fiberglass heat wrap under heat shields, and if so did it cut down alot on the heat against your legs

Old 02-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive only used it because I didn't have heat shields at all. Ive experienced that heat shields or fiberglass/titanium wrap are each pretty effective on their own, but never tried to combine them.. I dont know if the benefit will be worth the headache of wrapping the pipes and trying to fit heat shields over it. Also, any brackets that rub on the wrap will cut right through it, and once its cut it all unravels and needs to be redone. I could see the tabs on the back of the heat sheilds or just the edges of the heat shields being a problem.

My $.02 is to stick with the heat shields

Old 02-06-2013, 02:42 PM
blackjeep
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I tried it and didnt make much difference

Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This will only serve to insulate the exhaust and make your engine that much hotter. Bad idea. they run hot enough as it is. If you have a cat in your exhaust, decat it or get an aftermarket head pipe without the cat. Will significantly reduce heat and will perform much better. You will also need to consider a fuel management system programmer if you change out your exhaust.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:21 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 528 Posts

I have heard either do one or the other.

Combined with both the exhaust wrap and heat shields will do MORE damage then good.

Not sure what scoot you have, or year. But if it's a 2009+, get rid of the cat, and you will see a big difference from the heat!

Tuner (of choice) and a stage 1, different headers and you will notice a better running, better mileage, and less heat.

YB

Old 02-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Justin Kelly
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A buddy of mine did this to his 2012 Ultra. Didn't make a big enough difference. He ended up changing out his head pipe and putting SERT on it and is totally happy with it now! I have 2010 Street Glide and I just decatted mine and put on PCV but have not had it out yet.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Ocgreenmachine
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had fiberglass heat wrap under the heat shields of my Vance and Hines RSD Tracker exhaust and it actually made it a little worse. The gap between the heat shield allowed air to cool the heat shields while I was riding and the fiberglass wrap eliminated the air gap, which in turn eliminated the air cooling effect. I ripped the heat wrap off the pipes and it is much better now.

Originally Posted by oricko
Has anyone ever used the fiberglass heat wrap under heat shields, and if so did it cut down alot on the heat against your legs

Last edited by Ocgreenmachine; 02-06-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 02-06-2013, 07:07 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 507 Posts

i tried it ,not much help,it was easy and the heatsheild clamps held it in place,BUT it rusted the head pipe bad in 2 years.went to a 2-1 and a good tune much better results.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I wrapped the stock non-cat header under the shields on my '09. Really can't tell any difference?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by the warden
This will only serve to insulate the exhaust and make your engine that much hotter. Bad idea. they run hot enough as it is. If you have a cat in your exhaust, decat it or get an aftermarket head pipe without the cat. Will significantly reduce heat and will perform much better. You will also need to consider a fuel management system programmer if you change out your exhaust.
The exhaust system is downstream of the combustion process, external to the engine; How does exhaust wrap make youe engine hotter?

Quick Reply: Heat wrap