Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Consumer News

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 09:02 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Motorcycle Consumer News

Is this guy stoned ? Must be a rice loving Harley bash er , stay away from that magazine . If he thinks a Ultra is unstable the guy must be a retard .

Old 02-14-2007, 09:07 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I'll be doggone guys, doesn't this CRAAAAP just add to the macho Harley Dude image. For Petes sake, us guys (and gals) are able to handle these unruly machines with our superior strength and ability. Let those with fearful hearts BEWARE!!!!

Old 02-14-2007, 09:14 PM
madurodave
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cycle World did a review on the Fat Boy last month with the 96. They loved it - the power, handling, everything. They did a sidebar on the heat/surging issue and mentioned Harley's fix (remap). Theirs had no issue during their testing. I believe all bikes built/delivered after early Nov. had the fix already there.

My new RKC runs great stock. Can't wait for the modified version in a few weeks.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Easyglide
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: CroftonDamico

Also, the machine’s aerodynamics
are poor, even in windless conditions,
so that turbulence seemingly beats at
the bike from all directions,
causing the
machine to dance from side to side at
freeway speeds so much that holding a
precise line is impossible.

My 07 UC on Monday achieved the 500 initial miles (break-in), therefore I went out on the road and hit it. On a 4 lane highway (Maryland route 97) between 70 & 75 MPH with7MPH winds, believe me the bike was was dancing and impossible to hold a precise line. Dropping down to 50-60 everything was okay.I have loss all confidence in the bike, arrived home and check the tire pressure and all normal.

Don't know about the rest of you, but believe me it is very upsetting.

Almost 5000 miles on my 07 Electra Glide and I could not be happier with it's stability on both twisties and the superslab. I can only venture that there is something on your bike that needs attention. I owned Honda VTX 1300 cruiser prior to my EGC. Even in 35 mph cross winds (which I have rode several times onWest Texas Interstates) the EGC is very stable on the highway.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:20 PM
CroftonDamico
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<Once you have a few thousand miles on the Ultra you will soon see that it is a very stable ride. Your lack of experience is more likly the cause of the problem.

You are correct, that was me. I can tell you this with all honesty: 0 -65 the bike is stable and rock solid. When I bust70+ the bike is very unstable and for a lack of a better word is "dancing". When it 1st happened, I wrote it off to gusty winds. The 2nd time, I checked the detailed weather for this area, that included the winds. Both days, the winds never went over 7mph.Can only describe what I experienced.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:32 PM
FUN2XSs
Cruiser

Heck my wife will almost falls asleep on our 04 UC on longer trips. I guess HD had to add some excitement on the 07 line to keep the passengers awake.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Fishpart
Tourer

5000+ on my EG and man I love it going down the highway not stability problems what so ever and handles great in the corners, who the hell was riding that thing in the test? I sense a little bit of HD bias in his article must own a Metric.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:20 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

Hmm, this goes without saying, The sales for the metrics are seeing change in the numbers,
...so let's write an article, get a self proclaimed expert to do a little HD bashing... Try and even
the score...

Fact is, there audience is dwindling, With a large portion of people moving toward Harley.
Andyou can't argue with stats, Life expectancy on a new wiz bang crotch rocket is still 2 weeks...

Besides, the speed limit is still 70...

Old 02-15-2007, 12:18 AM
DJVOLUME
Novice

The power plant is new..... period.

The structure of the bike has not changed.
The "batwing" fairing has been around for..... how long now?

Nothing is as sweet as the Road Glide's aerodynamics...... but c'mon.
I think MoCo would have redesignedtheElectra Glideyears and years ago.

IF.... IF there is something causing instability....It is not a design issue..... it is a PROBLEM. AND like ALL problems... needs to be fixed.... not put on BLAST in the forums or magazines.

Are the wheels balanced? Did you lose the weight? That can get nasty.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:37 AM
Iowabiker
Intermediate

It is really interesting how sensitive Harley owners seem to be. My wife rides a 07 Dyna and a 04 BMW. I ride a 04 R1150RT BMW and a 1974 airhead BMW. Go figure. Motorcycle Consurmer news has numerous excellent articles and they are not supported by adds or contributions. They seem to be trying to do a good objective job in reporting. I love to go to all motrocycle events and read a variety of magazines. Some are obviously better than others but all have something to add. It is interesting to note that since I ride a BMW Harley riders consider me to be a ricer. Some of the ricers are excellent bikes, some, just like some Harleys, could use improvement.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Consumer News