Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable backrest question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 07:13 AM
rob0225
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Adjustable backrest question

I have a question about the Harley adjustable backrest.

A indy shop down the road from me has 2 of the mounts used but when I pull the lever nothing happens. Is the backrest supposed to actuate with no pressure from the rider on it? Are just the pistons replaceable?

Thanks,

Robert

Old 05-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Chucks1911
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't have mine on very long, but when I moved the lever when I was off the bike, the backrest would slam forward as far as possible pretty violently.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:49 AM
yowflhtk
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rob0225
I have a question about the Harley adjustable backrest.

A indy shop down the road from me has 2 of the mounts used but when I pull the lever nothing happens. Is the backrest supposed to actuate with no pressure from the rider on it? Are just the pistons replaceable?

Thanks,

Robert

If not installed on the bike, the mount is likely in the forward position. It would be extremely difficult to move it by hand if not mounted on the bike. When mounted on the bike, you pull the lever and then push back on it to the desired position. I have one and love it.

...........martin

Old 05-08-2013, 08:12 AM
chief1600
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Chucks1911
I didn't have mine on very long, but when I moved the lever when I was off the bike, the backrest would slam forward as far as possible pretty violently.
This is correct. And it's also correct that it's difficult at best to move it position if it's not mounted on the bike.

I have one but it doesn't go back far enough for my liking and consequently I'm considering getting rid of it. If I don't the only way I'll be able to make it work for me is to bend the bracket.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:18 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Also dont hit the lever unless the backrest is attached and you holding it with some resistance. It can spring forward hard and cut your seat.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:16 PM
ssmith579
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue with mine. I don't know why they make an adjustable backrest with such a limited useful range. I actually bent the bar of the backrest so it would lean back more and I'm pretty short. Silly design but it is a nice backrest.

Originally Posted by chief1600
This is correct. And it's also correct that it's difficult at best to move it position if it's not mounted on the bike.

I have one but it doesn't go back far enough for my liking and consequently I'm considering getting rid of it. If I don't the only way I'll be able to make it work for me is to bend the bracket.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:03 PM
chief1600
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmith579
I have the same issue with mine. I don't know why they make an adjustable backrest with such a limited useful range. I actually bent the bar of the backrest so it would lean back more and I'm pretty short. Silly design but it is a nice backrest.
How difficult was it to bend the bracket? I was thinking about just putting it in a vice and giving 'er hell. Is that what you did? If it's hardened steel it might be pretty tough.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chief1600
How difficult was it to bend the bracket? I was thinking about just putting it in a vice and giving 'er hell. Is that what you did? If it's hardened steel it might be pretty tough.
It's not hardened steel. These guys doing all the whining,need to get the right seat,the backrest is not their problem.They work perfectly when the seat is right for the rider,and Harley has that covered pretty well,along with custom makers.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:37 AM
ssmith579
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So glad that you're an expert on other peoples anatomy. I didn't realize how screwed up I actually was.

I wedged it in my table saw and leaned on it. It's pretty tough but it will bend.

Originally Posted by Twistnride
It's not hardened steel. These guys doing all the whining,need to get the right seat,the backrest is not their problem.They work perfectly when the seat is right for the rider,and Harley has that covered pretty well,along with custom makers.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:40 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 71,179 Likes on 21,577 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmith579
So glad that you're an expert on other peoples anatomy. I didn't realize how screwed up I actually was.

I wedged it in my table saw and leaned on it. It's pretty tough but it will bend.
Good to know, eh?

Quick Reply: Adjustable backrest question