Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn a Classic into a classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 01:44 AM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 527 Posts
Default RE: Turn a Classic into a classic

Here's the RK standard goin ol skool way
http://webpages.charter.net/mountainkowboy/rkwca1.JPG
For some reason I cant get the pic to post. Well anyway Chubby RK 2's, Nostalgia Teardrop mirrors, started on the stainless cables. The stock mufflers have been cored and a SE A/C with the round plain cover. Thats all I've got done so far. Still parts huntin.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:26 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice start Kowboy...I added the same bars this winter and really like them. Riram - are those the HD Streamliner mirrors? I added a set this winter and hadn't seen them on anyone else's bike yet. BTW, I found that I couldn't turn the mirror enough to use them right. The master cylinder is close to the mirror mount hole and won't let you turn it enough.I found this product and mounted it on my bike (you'll have to lengthen the bolt at the bottom of the mirror about 1/2") andnow I can actually see behind me.

CHROME BILLET RIGHT SIDE MIRROR ADAPTER

[/align]Images[/align][/align]
Keep the nostalgic thread growing.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:25 AM
RIRAM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YES :TO THE Streamliner mirrors. SAME PROBLEM, CAN YOU TELL ME THE WEB SITE FOR THE CHROME BILLET RIGHT SIDE MIRROR ADAPTER

THANKS

Old 03-03-2007, 04:07 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member

Riram;

Here's the part # from the Custom Chrome catalog (I've seen it in other catalogs):

DS-302030
For 96-07 handlebar controls
$13.95

BTW, you'll find that the threaded stem on the mirror is too short to fit all the way through the adapter.[:@] Here's what I had to do: The mirror stem is threaded into the mirror and comes out easily. Once out you'll notice that the stem has two different types of thread on it. I went to Lowes and bought some all-thread that fit into the mirror stem and a proper nut. Cut the all-thread to length.

Also, if you've never ussed M & M Cycles they can usually beat pricing in other catalogs. You just need to search the catalogs on their web site for the part # and do a search. FYI, the RK-II bars by Wild 1 were $155in M & M and$204 retail from the mfg.

www.mandmcycles.com

Ride safe.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:37 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread and some great looking bikes!

Mine is an '82 FLTC so it is a Classic that looked like a typical 80's era plastic hulk. I have done a ton of things to it to make it look Really Classic. (all pics in the photo section)

The whole thing is modeled after the '66 FLH to go with my '66 Mustangand the year was born.

I have thought of chaging the bags to the white fiberglass ones that were used in the '66 model. I have the period correct speedo and tank trim.

Have Dunlops on there now, going to Metzlers when I get home. I put 20k on her last year and need a tire that will last a bit longer that the Dunlops.

A lot of the customization was done by the guy I bought the bike from, but I made a bunch of changes because I thought the bike was gaudy whenI got it a few years ago. He had it all decked out with flames and other stuff that I did not like. I have also upgraded a lot of stuff to modern items fore reliability i.e. '99 RK wire harness, brakes, etc.... Oh, and the 93ci Super Sidewinder S&S,

Old 03-03-2007, 04:54 AM
mchacon
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yo Whiskers,

I love that front fender light. Is it the one used on the Springer Classic or some other after market? Did it come with that fender if so which fender is that. I've seen it on a couple others but I think I'll do just the light for now. How did you wire it?

Old 03-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 527 Posts

Hey mchacon, what seat is on the RK, is that a Mustang or a Corbin, and how do you like it? The stock seat sucks on mine or its wore out.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Sol
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Mountainkowboy

Hey mchacon, what seat is on the RK, is that a Mustang or a Corbin, and how do you like it? The stock seat sucks on mine or its wore out.
That is a Corbin Classic Solo, the same seat that's on mine. Corbinseats have firm paddingthat can't be beat for comfort - but only ifit suitsyour backside.Corbin is the best looking seat IMO and the only seat manufacturer that has a special model that fits the SE RK dash.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member

Mchacon: The fender lamp came from J & P Cycles. Its purely cosmetic right now and isn't wired...maybe this summer?

Sol: Thanks for the info on your horn cover...I ordered one today from J & P.

Riram: I can't get past the color of your bike...Beautiful!

All: Looking at everyones bike...aren't them RK's pretty?

Old 03-04-2007, 09:28 PM
JesterDog
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outstanding thread! This is exactly what I will be doing with my RK when I pick it up. I love the retro look.

To all who have posted images of their rigs, kudos on building such fine looking machines.

Quick Reply: Turn a Classic into a classic