Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Four point docking question ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:23 AM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Four point docking question ?

I'm a little confused on the four point docking brackets.At first I thought I could just buy them and install with my stock strut covers. I thought this would solve my problem covering the openings in my strut covers after removing my tour pack bracket. Now if I understand correctly the docking system will not attach to the existing strut covers because they do not have the bolt holes in the proper places. So it looks like you have to purchase different strut covers in order to install the 4 point docking system. Another member suggested leaving off the original strut covers then installing the 4 point docking brackets.I really didn't need the 4 point docking system but thought if it would cover the openings in the stock strut covers it would be nice to have in case I want to get a quick detach sissy bar.My other option to cover the strut cover openings is to replace them with the gloss black solid strut covers from LSHD1 for $97.00 delivered.The 4 point docking system is $140.00 delivered but if I have to buy different strut covers to use them then it defeats my original purpose for getting them. If someone could confirm my thoughts on installation of the 4 point docking system I would sure appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:11 AM
fxdxharley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what bike do you have? im assuming an ultra if you have the tour pack. on my flhx the 4 point docking kit went right on over the strut covers. had to remove one screw and replace with screw to hold bracket on. the post of the bracket went into the three holes in the cover.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:31 AM
C908
Road Warrior

Yes let me confirm I have a 2010 Ultra Classic. That would be great if the 4 point docking brackets would fit right over the stock strut covers and cover the openings. The reason I thought you had to use different strut covers for the docking brackets was because of a video I watched showing installation of a tour pack quick detach kit.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Rwj6001
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There may be different styles of strut covers because on mine there were not enough holes for mounting the 4 point dock, I had to either buy a new strut cover that had enough holes or modify the one I had by drilling two rear mounting holes (there were already to front mount holes)

I drilled it out on my press with no issues and now everything works fine. Of course if I ever pull the dock I'll have to get a different strut cover, but I figured I'd cross that bridge if I ever remove the dock.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:15 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Yep you can drill strut covers you have.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:41 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Even if ya drill them out the docking brackets won't cover the cutouts on your covers. I have both covers and 4 point docking brackets I never use. I just bolt the tour pack on on and off the few times I use it. Don't like the idea of someone quick detaching my pack???

Old 07-06-2013, 01:47 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Just happen to have the stock Ultra covers and a set of gloss black in the shop. Will need some new holes in the stockers and no the 4 pt bracket won't cover all the cut outs for the TP.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:22 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After I removed my Ultra's tour pack, I replaced the original slotted strut covers with black solid strut covers and installed the black 4-point docking brackets. It looks really good on a black bike.

Here's a lesson I learned in the process. After removing the tour-pack and bracket, I reinstalled the original slotted strut covers while my solid replacement covers were being powder coated. I didn't realize that the tour pack mounting bracket provided additional space to keep the strut covers off the fender. When I tightened the bolts without the tour-pack bracket, the strut cover dug into my fender paint. Luckily I noticed it before there was much damage. I had to use several flat washers behind the strut cover to act as a stand off to keep the cover from digging into the fender. I just kept adding washers until the gap between the strut cover and fender was the same at the rear as in the front. Seems like it was 4-5 washers.

If you decide to drill and use your original covers, be sure to add the washers under the strut cover at the rear bolt to replace the space used by the missing tour-pack bracket. If you buy the solid street glide type strut covers, you won't need to do this because the stand off portion at the rear bolt is longer.

Last edited by ZenGlide; 07-06-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:12 PM
C908
Road Warrior

I really appreciate the pictures of the stock strut covers compared to the black gloss strut covers. Can anyone confirm if they have ordered black gloss strut covers part #47498-09 for their 09 or later Ultra Classic ? I started to order them from LSHD1 and they would not confirm if they would fit my bike. They just told me how they have the best prices but if I return them for any reason I would have to pay return shipping and a restock fee. I really felt like there was a lack of customer service but they do have the best price. Soon as I can confirm the part number is correct I will place my order. Thanks.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:03 AM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenGlide

Here's a lesson I learned in the process. After removing the tour-pack and bracket, I reinstalled the original slotted strut covers while my solid replacement covers were being powder coated. I didn't realize that the tour pack mounting bracket provided additional space to keep the strut covers off the fender. When I tightened the bolts without the tour-pack bracket, the strut cover dug into my fender paint. Luckily I noticed it before there was much damage. I had to use several flat washers behind the strut cover to act as a stand off to keep the cover from digging into the fender. I just kept adding washers until the gap between the strut cover and fender was the same at the rear as in the front. Seems like it was 4-5 washers.

If you decide to drill and use your original covers, be sure to add the washers under the strut cover at the rear bolt to replace the space used by the missing tour-pack bracket. If you buy the solid street glide type strut covers, you won't need to do this because the stand off portion at the rear bolt is longer.
Great catch! I've been searching this forum for 2 days trying to figure how the space is taken up after removing the tour pak bracket.

Quick Reply: Four point docking question ?