Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual color mega plasma rods 2012 SG

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:06 PM
ssathre
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual color mega plasma rods 2012 SG

Im trying to wire up a set of CD's dual color plasma rods. It says it has low intensity running (red), high intensity brake (red), and yellow turn. This setup is what I'm trying to achieve.

I'm tapping into the output side of the rear tail light bar. And the instructions say to tap into the brake wire (typically red) but I don't see a red wire anywhere. Putting the red wire to blue and the yellow wire to purple results in low intensity red running lights, yellow brake and turn.

Can anyone offer some insight as to what wire to tap into to get the desired effect?

Last edited by ssathre; 07-13-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:11 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Simple way to check what does what is probe the connector with a test light while activating different functions. With ignition on, when test light illuminates that will be running, when you find that probe the others while activating the brake followed by each signal. The connect as per instructions.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:45 PM
ssathre
6th Gear

From what I have been able to find there are 3 wires running to each tail light. Blue, purple and black. Black appears to be a ground, I'm getting 12 volts from that and the running light wire. There are two other black wires that I'm assuming run to the license plate light. Not sure what else to test on that plug.

The plasma rods come with "dual converters" which is just a fancy name for 2 wires into 1. They say to run one to the running lights (check) and the other to the brake light wire... And that's what I can't find on the tail light plug. I'm guessing I have to run a wire up to/near the fuse box. But which one?

Old 07-14-2013, 06:39 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to the "Book" for my 09 SG.

Violet/Brown is the hot for turn signals
BE/W is the running light (what is BE, beige?)
Red/Yellow is the brake light

Old 07-14-2013, 08:38 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe you need to tap into your wiring on the input side of the fender light, if I'm reading your post right. The wiring harness on the input side has the correct color wires per function, each light operation has it's own wire. When it comes out the other side of the side of the fender tri bar light the leads are combined, brake and turn are the same lead to each light. When I installed the dual color rods on my 2012 FLTRX I also installed a Canadian tri bar light in the fender which does not have the circuit board in it that the US model does. Now I have the same individual leads on the output side as I do on the input side. I'm thinking you need to tap into the wiring harness that comes from under your left side cover and runs to you fender light to find the correct run, brake, turn leads. The service manual will list which color wires are for which function.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:45 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by marvincbr
I believe you need to tap into your wiring on the input side of the fender light, if I'm reading your post right. The wiring harness on the input side has the correct color wires per function, each light operation has it's own wire. When it comes out the other side of the side of the fender tri bar light the leads are combined, brake and turn are the same lead to each light. When I installed the dual color rods on my 2012 FLTRX I also installed a Canadian tri bar light in the fender which does not have the circuit board in it that the US model does. Now I have the same individual leads on the output side as I do on the input side. I'm thinking you need to tap into the wiring harness that comes from under your left side cover and runs to you fender light to find the correct run, brake, turn leads. The service manual will list which color wires are for which function.
+1 on that...Reach up under the top of the frame where it exits from the left side cover area and you should feel the connector and see the wires from it running towards the rear of the bike...Use the color codes in the SM to identify what wire does what or use a circuit tester.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:48 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

The wires to tap can be found under your seat. You need to tap in before the R/T/B module. If you have Custom Dynamics LED signals, the stabilizer is the best place to tap in for the amber turn signals. The run/brake can be found either at the ACC plug or under the left side cover.

I also added extra amber turn signals because the OEM sucks

Old 07-14-2013, 09:52 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter5074
The wires to tap can be found under your seat. You need to tap in before the R/T/B module. If you have Custom Dynamics LED signals, the stabilizer is the best place to tap in for the amber turn signals. The run/brake can be found either at the ACC plug or under the left side cover.

I also added extra amber turn signals because the OEM sucks

http://youtu.be/C_jKQXzQzdY
I agree on the stock turn signals sucking but one set of LED turn signals makes up for it big time. Two sets, different, that's for sure but if drivers can't see the one set, their not going to see the second set until it's too late...

Old 07-14-2013, 11:07 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by marvincbr
What does the CDN Tribar do that the US one didn't?

Old 07-14-2013, 11:23 AM
ssathre
6th Gear

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help getting this wired up. Everything is working properly now, all I have left to do is the wire management.

I'll post up some pictures once it's done.

Quick Reply: Dual color mega plasma rods 2012 SG