Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:01 PM
harleybob815
Supporter
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default cruise control

Can anyone tell me about getting criuse control on a 2000 RKC? Was it a factory option? Should I buy it through Harley? It has the throttle lock but I would like to have the set up on the lever det.

Thanks for any input!

Old 03-04-2007, 11:42 PM
sligarn5
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: cruise control

I just went through hell and a handbasket trying to put a cruise control on my '04 FLHPI. It wasn't until I Googled "harley cruise control instructions" and found a very helpful site that I discovered that, starting in '02 (I'm pretty sure about the year but I may be one off) Harley started to pre-wire all baggers for cruise...with the exception of police bikes. Now this was all learned after I had purchased the module, so I was a bit bummed about this. However, the installation looked pretty straight forward for a bike that has all the wires already. There are lots of posts on here regarding this subject and they are very helpful.

I wish I could remember the web address of the site I found through Google as it had step by step color photos of the install. It was pretty much at the top of the search results. And you will be able to tell pretty quickly if your ride is wired for cruise as there is a distinct 12-point connector under the left cover under the seat. If it's not there, chances are pretty good that you will need to wire the bike for it.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 2000 EGC. Thought I'd read that cruise control is no longer offered through HD for our bikes. You might be able to find one somewhere, but likely it will have to come off an existing bike. If you do find something available, however, PLEASE PM me. I'd like to add it, too. Just figured it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:54 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: harleybob815

Can anyone tell me about getting criuse control on a 2000 RKC? Was it a factory option? Should I buy it through Harley? It has the throttle lock but I would like to have the set up on the lever det.

Thanks for any input!
I just installed CC on my 2007 StreetGlide, it was pre-wired and fairly simple, you will have to install the servo
under the left side cover, replace the right switch controls, and ad a on off switch... On a RKC not real sure where that
would go...

The kit from harley it 339.00 + tax...

I will say this, it's a bunch harder to do when you have the flu... but I got er done...

The CC is a handy addition to the StreetGlide, I dodn't realize how I missed it on my 06 Ultra...

[IMG]local://upfiles/11910/D5E89A44D1A4431AB0711A72A4A4BD55.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-05-2007, 10:53 AM
em2780
Advanced

Richard

I installed it on my 2006 RoadKing over the winter. When you get up to speed and engage it do you feel it engage?

Old 03-05-2007, 11:14 AM
dank11
Intermediate

Hey!
I installed it on a 2001 FLHT
I was told the module for 2002 or newer was different so the Kit from the factory wouldn't work
But the module was still available for almost as much as the whole kit
So I bought a 2002 or 3 throttle assy from a Road glide (plugged right in )
A servo module from a 2001 Ultra
Had to wire a Harness from under the Fairing back to the battery compartment for the servo
Got Throttle cables for the roll off switch (never installed )
Cost about $3-400 Total
Plus had to make a wire harness (was around $200 used if you needed to buy)
I haven't done any long distance on It but the test runs so far works Fine
HTH
later

Old 03-05-2007, 11:41 AM
harleybob815
Supporter
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks, everyone. I saw a set in the catalog but I think it only went back to 02 or 03. My buddy has it on his 03 and it's sooooooooooo nice. Does anyone know of any motorcycle bone yards for parts, maybe even a Harley specific yard?

Bob

Old 03-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Here is a link to Cruisemount.com. The owner is a super nice guy who can tell you exactly what you need to add cruise control to older touring bikes; in fact, this link tells you what you will need. Give him a call:

http://www.cruisemount.com/fitment.html

Old 03-05-2007, 01:36 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 01 flhtci (EGC)did not have the handle bar wiring or switch so I had to install them with the cruise module.
However, my 06 did have the switch. I had the dealer install it day I bought it.
Other HD's I've seen on floor at dealer 05,06,07 have had the switch already mounted on bike. so would have to agree that HD is now pre-wiring them.
Actual module install is pretty simple. Don't have to remove tank, but sometimes easier
because of the harness you may have to install with the roll off switch.

enjoy

Old 03-05-2007, 01:40 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: em2780

Richard

I installed it on my 2006 RoadKing over the winter. When you get up to speed and engage it do you feel it engage?
It's noticable when activated, and the indicator comes on green, but not as imediate as my Ultra was... think I'll see if there is an adjustment for the cable.. didn't see any though..

I really like the resume feature... take off from a light hit resume, and back to speed...

Quick Reply: cruise control