Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil temperature gauge problem- need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 01:12 PM
HD32141
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil temperature gauge problem- need help

My 2010 Classic has had a oil temp gauge since a month after I bought it. I switched to silver gauges yesterday. Here is the problem:

The 2010 gauge had posts so the sensor's harness has crimp on ring ends. The new gauge takes a plug. I need the plug to splice my sensor's harness to. The dealer can't seem to help.

Anyone been through this before?

Old 12-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

#69200297 is the harness for the oil temp gauge. It is clearly stated in the instructions provided with the oil temp gauge. Looks to have plug on both ends .

Old 12-16-2013, 02:02 PM
HD32141
Tourer

Yes- I got this in my kit. But it doesn't plug into the gauge, it won't fit. It must plug into a jumper. A short piece that plugs into the gauge...

Consequently, I just left the harness I already had on the bike. Because I need the piece that plugs into the gauge. I can splice it to the existing harness where the ring ends are.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by HD32141
Yes- I got this in my kit. But it doesn't plug into the gauge, it won't fit. It must plug into a jumper. A short piece that plugs into the gauge... Consequently, I just left the harness I already had on the bike. Because I need the piece that plugs into the gauge. I can splice it to the existing harness where the ring ends are.
So, your new gauge came with a harness that doesn't fit the new gauge? Turn the harness around and try the other end.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:06 PM
HD32141
Tourer

What I received in the kit is a 2-wire harness (black and yellow wires). One end plugs in to the sensor in the block. IF the other end WOULD plug in to the gauge, where would the 12v power come from to illuminate the gauge?

What am I missing?

There IS a jumper wire 32806-00 in the kit but it's also a 2-wire harness (brown with green tracer and green with yellow tracer). I am assuming this connects to give the gauge power.

If I am right then there's a jumper that would go into the gauge with 2 plugs on it.......

Last edited by HD32141; 12-16-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Normally, you would use the lead used for the air temp gauge and sensor to complete the connections. The connector that plugs into the back of the air temp gauge (the gauge which is usually removed to make a hole for the oil temp gauge) is supposed to plug into the rear of your new oil temp gauge. The other end of that lead is unplugged from the air temp sensor (air temp sensor located on the left front upper frame) and then plugged into the lead coming up from the oil temp sensor in your oil pan.

Your oil temp gauge will have 1/4" spade terminals on the rear.....the top set for the bulb in the meter and the bottom three for the signal from the oil temp sensor. Polarity markers are beside the terminals so you can get positive and negative correct for the meter movement feed. Polarity does not matter for the bulb.

If your current connections are ring terminals, then simply cut them off and change them to female 1/4 spade connectors and you can hook them right up to the rear of the meter.

Last edited by Lowcountry Joe; 12-16-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:02 PM
HD32141
Tourer

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Normally, you would use the lead used for the air temp gauge and sensor to complete the connections. The connector that plugs into the back of the air temp gauge

Your oil temp gauge will have 1/4" spade terminals on the rear.....the top set for the bulb in the meter and the bottom three for the signal from the oil temp sensor. Polarity markers are beside the terminals so you can get positive and negative correct for the meter movement feed. Polarity does not matter for the bulb.

If your current connections are ring terminals, then simply cut them off and change them to female 1/4 spade connectors and you can hook them right up to the rear of the meter.
I read what you wrote but...

the gauge I had only had 3 posts with nuts on them. You are saying 5 connections? I thought this.

Can I just buy the plug that goes to the gauge?

Old 12-16-2013, 07:27 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts

Can you provide pictures, that might help.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by HD32141

Can I just buy the plug that goes to the gauge?

Sure you can if you research the plug and then purchase it from an electronics supply store. You have already said that HD is useless to help you. But if it were me, i would say to hell with the damn plug and solder on some 1/4" spade connectors and be done with it in about 10 minutes.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:16 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a link to the pdf instructions if it helps answer any questions.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...structions.pdf

Quick Reply: Oil temperature gauge problem- need help