Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Infotainment Problems

Old 01-05-2014, 05:03 PM
MF2014
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Infotainment Problems

So annoyed that the infotainment does not work as advertised and even more annoyed by those who think that we should all just ignore the technology goofs and deal with it. We are talking about a $2,000 stereo here and it was touted pretty heavily by HD as being "advanced". I'm not so sure it's any more advanced then my cell phone and in fact I think my iPhone is superior. As I mentioned, I like technology and was happy to see the integration into the Harley Street Glide Special but I am so disappointed with the fact that the catalog says the system is comparable with bluetooth headsets and it is not. So end of story here until HD announces they are working on it. Until then, my iPhone stays attached with velcro over the top of the infotainment screen. What a ridiculous waste...

Last edited by MF2014; 01-05-2014 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Too harsh for some
Old 01-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I'm a little confused, what did they say it will do specifically that it does not do? Mine will stream music, show who is calling and let me ignore or answer the call, access to phonebook, shows text messages, and will let me route the call to my Bluetooth helmet or through the speakers on the bike. The only think I can't do is talk to people if the audio is routed to the speakers on the bike. I don't have the Comm cable like a limited bike so I knew the voice commands were not going to work for me.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This troll posted in another thread already...here's my response then and now...

There were several other VERY good responses to why it doesn't work like the OP thinks it should, and MoCo never claimed it to work like the OP wants it to...so he joins the forum to bitch about it.

Originally Posted by Guitardude
Another one...geezzz

The "infotainment" center that Harley went with operates very much like the one in my wife's 50K Lincoln and my 100K 911. Neither of those units will pair up with a wireless headset. Want to know WHY? Because instead it allows you to operate HANDS FREE, talking on the phone with both hands on the wheel, phone securely on my belt or in a cup holder (neither Lincoln nor Porsche saw the need to make a special place in the dash to stick our phones). It does this using a mic and the car speakers, just like the Harley does, only it uses a wired headset.

Harley, in the wisdom that comes from a MOTORCYCLE MANUFACTURE THAT HAS DONE IT FOR 110 YEARS NOW, thought this through...and made it to where if you are just hell bent on talking on the phone going down the road on your motorcycle, you can. Through a headset attached to the bike by a wire, allowing you to just move a thumb to answer the call. JUST like in a high end Porsche.

This feature is STANDARD on the top of the line bikes from Harley, the ElectraGlide Limited and CVO Limited. Oh, but you bought a STREETGLIDE? It will do it, too...just have to buy the things to make it do it. They cost a little more, but hey, you didn't WANT the top of the line, you wanted the StreetGlide. VERY nice bike. Doesn't have all the features of the TOP END BIKES. If it did, then IT would be the top of the line Touring bike.

But that's not good enough. You want it to pair up with your Bluetooth headset...the one you have to take you hand off the bars and push a button to answer...right? Tough, it doesn't work that way. It works to promote SAFETY, or as much safety as you can have, for someone who actually thinks trying to talk on the phone while you ride is a good idea.

There ya have it, skippy. Sorry that you feel that way about Harley Customer Service. They were just trying to keep from calling you an idiot on the phone for wanting to make this whole talking on the phone while you ride a bike thing as dangerous as you possibly can.

Oh, and in 38 years of owning Harley's, I've never had the problems with Customer Service that some of you seem to have. I've not always liked the answer, but I never felt like I was getting jerked around and lied to.

Peace OUT.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:42 PM
bubdifab
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah this guy sucks. 5 posts, all complaining.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't even look at the post count, 5, I hear ya on the Troll part...lol

Old 01-05-2014, 07:05 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MF2014
Ok, so for those of you that saw my earlier posts regarding the lack of functionality with a bluetooth headset here is some additional proof that HD was not only misleading consumers but blatantly misrepresented the product and has since enjoyed reaping the benefit of this even though hundreds if not thousands of customers are complaining. The fact that they will do nothing about this or even discuss it yet continue to rip off the public in this way is simply fraud by any standard. HD's continued refusal to acknowledge it even when confronted with the data on page 598 of their P&A catolog which clearly states that the system does work with bluetooth headsets is outrageous and unacceptable and I will be notifying the Attorney General of my state since HD has left me with no choice as they simply refuse to discuss the problem, fix it or even make an offer in compromise to any HD customers that were duped. I for one will not tolerate this and I would urge all of you to contact your state's consumer affairs departments and make the complaints and perhaps HD will start treating their customers with a little respect. Project Rushmore? What a joke!! HD doesn't give a crap about the customer!!!!
This was just beaten to death in two other threads. John of JM Audio gave one of the most authoritative answers on the subject I've read so far in that other thread.

I think the PA catalog is stating is that an A2DP wireless headset (ie music headphones/no mic) is supported.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Axegrinder
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

OP...sell the damn bike while the demand is still high and you can get your money back, chock it up to lessons learned, feel sympathy for all the other Limited owners and the POS bikes we have, buy yourself a nice Goldwing and call it a day.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:40 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MF2014
So annoyed that the infotainment does not work as advertised and even more annoyed by those who think that we should all just ignore the technology goofs and deal with it. We are talking about a $2,000 stereo here and it was touted pretty heavily by HD as being "advanced". I'm not so sure it's any more advanced then my cell phone and in fact I think my iPhone is superior. As I mentioned, I like technology and was happy to see the integration into the Harley Street Glide Special but I am so disappointed with the fact that the catalog says the system is comparable with bluetooth headsets and it is not. So end of story here until HD announces they are working on it. Until then, my iPhone stays attached with velcro over the top of the infotainment screen. What a ridiculous waste...
Note that the OP COMPLETELY changed the post all of us had replied to up until this point.

See my earlier reply for the original quoted text for reference.

Last edited by offthewall; 01-05-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:43 AM
jkane13
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So which is worse? Someone who complains about something he paid for or someone who complains about the guy who is just looking to vent a little and hoping for a teenie weenie amount of sympathy?

<sigh!>

Old 01-06-2014, 09:03 AM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jkane13
So which is worse? Someone who complains about something he paid for or someone who complains about the guy who is just looking to vent a little and hoping for a teenie weenie amount of sympathy?

<sigh!>
The guy didn't come on looking for sympathy or advise, he joined the forum to complain because he didn't read the latitude right and MoCo won't make it work like he thinks it should on his StreetGlide ... He didn't get the answer he wanted from MoCo or from experts on BT motorcycle headsets so, he started another thread, then when he still didn't get the answer he wanted, he CHANGED what he wrote...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Infotainment Problems