Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairings

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:01 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Fairings

I have been toying with the idea of adding a fairing to my RK ..( for those very long rides)...but the prices vary from $350.... to.....$2000. Are there really that much difference between them. My bike is black so no special paint needed.....but just can't choose between them.....last question are there differences in styles or are they basically all the same?

Old 01-06-2014, 03:42 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by giacomo56
I have been toying with the idea of adding a fairing to my RK ..( for those very long rides)...but the prices vary from $350.... to.....$2000. Are there really that much difference between them. My bike is black so no special paint needed.....but just can't choose between them.....last question are there differences in styles or are they basically all the same?
If you handy at all try this site.......I purchased one for my Fatboy a couple years ago. The great thing about these, they are inexpensive and you can set them up anyway you like. No holes (unless you want them) for speakers or radio. It comes gel coated so the finishing is all up to you.
BTW mine came with mounting brackets, first thing I did was send them off to have chrome plated.......looked fantastic

http://www.exoticbodyparts.com/catal...airing&x=0&y=0

Last edited by STLFLSTF_Mike; 01-06-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:41 PM
PKS98S
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been toying with the idea of adding a fairing to my RK ..( for those very long rides)...

Just curious of your reasoning for adding a fairing to your RK... function, appearance, music, controlling buffeting, just because???

Old 01-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm not the OP, but I added a fairing for music on long trips and for hand protection for late fall/early spring riding here in MN.

I have read countless threads on this (do a search OP) and it seems that a LOT of guys who put a fairing on thier RK's never take them off. I am one of the other group. I much prefer the stock RK windshield and can't wait to take the fairing off after a trip.

Good luck shopping. I built my own so I can't comment on all the commercial built models.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:53 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't say about the other brands, but when I had a Fat Bob I added a reckless RK audio fairing to it because it uses the same bracket setup. For me it was mostly for music and out in the desert where we get sandblasted with up to 60mph wind gusts on clear sunny days I like having a fairing with a recurve shield. I tried various other QD windshields and none were as nice as having a full fairing. So I did the whole convert to full audio fairing.

The reckless fairing is just a fiberglass shell with brackets to mount onto the forks and you have to supply and mount either fixed brackets or QD clamps (I used 4 QD and 2 locking mounted further in on the bracket than what was already done because I liked it closer to the forks and bars) and you supply speakers, radio, antenna, wiring, etc. and will have to cut out the speaker holes to desired size as well as radio hole if you get a blank one. Check ebay for reckless fairings if your interested because there are several sellers/vendors who list them there. Some will include flip up radio cover, speaker holes cut out, and even cheap radio and speakers but some are just unpainted uncut fiberglass shells.

The other brands from what I have seen all use similar fiberglass fairings and what you are paying for with them is paint, wiring, electronics, and labor. So if you are a good DIY type and not afraid of cutting speaker holes and radio mount and running a wiring setup and have your own idea of what is the best choice for stereo and speakers the reckless fairings can save you quite a bit over buying one already setup ready to mount.

Hope that answers at least the $350 range for ya.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:58 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PKS98S
I have been toying with the idea of adding a fairing to my RK ..( for those very long rides)...

Just curious of your reasoning for adding a fairing to your RK... function, appearance, music, controlling buffeting, just because???
I have a lot of options on my bike....one up, two up, different seats, lowers on/off, RK tour pack single, double....clear shield, dark shield each with its own hardware...easy on/off.....my bike has a lot of different "looks" adding a fairing ( i haven't decided music or not, my wife hates to what i listen to) just a different look .....

Old 01-06-2014, 05:09 PM
PKS98S
Cruiser

Originally Posted by giacomo56
I have a lot of options on my bike....one up, two up, different seats, lowers on/off, RK tour pack single, double....clear shield, dark shield each with its own hardware...easy on/off.....my bike has a lot of different "looks" adding a fairing ( i haven't decided music or not, my wife hates to what i listen to) just a different look .....
I ask only because I've given thought to a fairing for my RK - mostly based on the stereo. However, I recently had the opportunity to ride a friends RK with a fairing and I was thoroughly unimpressed with the amount of buffeting. It kind of got me thinking differently about the benefits of tunes over functionality.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:41 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior

I ask only because I've given thought to a fairing for my RK - mostly based on the stereo. However, I recently had the opportunity to ride a friends RK with a fairing and I was thoroughly unimpressed with the amount of buffeting. It kind of got me thinking differently about the benefits of tunes over functionality.
Did the RK you rode with the fairing, have lowers? I heard/ read that having lowers and even the deflectors with the fairing should remove most of the buffeting. Again just a different version of the bike....every time i change it, it makes me feel like I'm riding a different bike, takes the need to buy a new one away...but sometimes having tunes on the bike would be nicer then having a freaking iPod in my ears.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:59 PM
PKS98S
Cruiser

Did the RK you rode with the fairing, have lowers? I heard/ read that having lowers and even the deflectors with the fairing should remove most of the buffeting...

All but lowers. I've taken notice too these aftermarket fairings seem to be mounted high and at a weird angle - was wondering if maybe that had something to do with the buffeting??

Again just a different version of the bike....every time i change it, it makes me feel like I'm riding a different bike, takes the need to buy a new one away...

I know, I've not done anything for awhile now on mine. That's usually when the wife comes home and finds a new bike sitting in the garage

Good luck with your decision and ride safe!!!

Old 01-06-2014, 06:15 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior

Did the RK you rode with the fairing, have lowers? I heard/ read that having lowers and even the deflectors with the fairing should remove most of the buffeting...

All but lowers. I've taken notice too these aftermarket fairings seem to be mounted high and at a weird angle - was wondering if maybe that had something to do with the buffeting??

Again just a different version of the bike....every time i change it, it makes me feel like I'm riding a different bike, takes the need to buy a new one away...

I know, I've not done anything for awhile now on mine. That's usually when the wife comes home and finds a new bike sitting in the garage

Good luck with your decision and ride safe!!!
Got to ask.....where's the left coast of Florida.....coming down Ft Myers way next week to keep warm.....LOL

Quick Reply: Fairings