Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new fairing old bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:37 PM
mpr3369
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default new fairing old bike?

So I have a 2007 street glide and was wondering if the new fairing would work on it? I like the look of the new fairing and the new radio. Will it work or would you have to completely rewire everything? This question might have been asked before but I haven't been on here in a long time so I figured I'd ask anyway. Thanks Mike

Old 02-16-2014, 02:01 AM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

New system is Canbus, gauges, radio nothing would retro-fit, fairing mounts differently. It wouldn't be cost effective to try and retro-fit, your best option would be to trade up to a 2014.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:31 AM
northeimcustom
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its only money....................

Old 05-02-2016, 11:45 AM
GSPD3 07 STREET GLIDE
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't see how it wouldn't be cost-effective...I am looking at doing this and I'm thinking it will be between 5 or 6k. If it's under 10k, how would it be better to buy a new bike versus modify the old one? I can work on my old one - already rebuilt the motor and I love it...I'd rather spend a few thousand upgrading, than have a monthly payment again...imo

Old 05-02-2016, 12:41 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

No matter what you spend on it with upgrades,its still a 2007 year bike and worth only so much.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:21 PM
ElectraRoadKing
Intermediate

I posted earlier looking to see how difficult it would be to mount a post-96 fairing on a pre-96 bike... As in an 89 FLHTCU. I figure that there would be some retrofitting to do, but exactly how much is different. Hard to find much information on that.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:28 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

It can and has been done . But it's not for a regular trinket buyer. Probably would be nice to put complete front end on. But u only have to find a guy doing a custom bike. Most of those guys don't visit here. I personal don't think u will be happy with the radio and info center. I hated it....your is much more user friendly. The front forks and trees are bout the only good upgrade on the newest ones.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by ElectraRoadKing
I posted earlier looking to see how difficult it would be to mount a post-96 fairing on a pre-96 bike... As in an 89 FLHTCU. I figure that there would be some retrofitting to do, but exactly how much is different. Hard to find much information on that.
These are not the sorts of thing that are done very often and there is no single way of tackling such changes. Each of the few individuals that tackle such a job will do so in different ways, depending on personal whim and skills. There is no service manual for retrofitting stuff!

I investigated retrofitting a batwing with instruments to my '90 Glide, bought all the parts secondhand, but decided it was too much effort to modify the electrics. I have however undertaken other mods to my bike that I haven't seen anyone else attempt. It's called customising!

Old 05-07-2016, 04:05 PM
ElectraRoadKing
Intermediate

After I ordered a used inner and outer fairing for my bike, I talked to someone who said that it would all bolt up. I just wanted to get the bigger front speakers without having to do fiberglass work. When my dad took the fairing off, he pretty much diked most of the wires in the front end, so I will be building me a new harness anyways. Now I am tracking down information for putting on newer model bags and filler panels. I will need to repaint the bike once I get the fairing, so I kinda have to get most of that stuff done now if I want any special color paint.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:33 PM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

its literally an entirely different system of electronics, it would take a hell of a lot of work to just get the radio by itself working, and even that would be glitchy at best since it wouldnt be able to receive the majority of information it normally processes. You can fit speakers up to 7.25" in your current fairing, all you need to do is get a pair of adapter rings. i dont know who said you have to do fiberglass work, but most aftermarket speaker/amp companies will happily hook you up. soundzcustomz, biketronics etc.

Quick Reply: new fairing old bike?