Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearing Puller / Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 12:09 AM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wheel Bearing Puller / Install

Does anyone know if Napa or Autozone rents the tools to remove and replace the front wheel bearings?

Old 05-31-2014, 04:34 AM
slick hd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Autozone rents tools so yes they do.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:01 AM
hdfxdx99
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive tried the places in my area and they didnt seem like what they had would work but in your area may be different. I just ended up buying one from amazon for 80 bucks and it is nice to have one at the house when you or a friend needs it.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:22 AM
Turret_plug
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hdfxdx99
Ive tried the places in my area and they didnt seem like what they had would work but in your area may be different. I just ended up buying one from amazon for 80 bucks and it is nice to have one at the house when you or a friend needs it.
+1 on the amazon set..... I bought one. It's already paid for itself in 3 wheel bearing changes. Don't ever use the slide hammer one, I bought one from harbor freight, tore the center out of a bearing and left the cup in the hub...... That was a bit pricey to fix!

Old 05-31-2014, 08:48 AM
Pix
Road Master
Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Do you guys put the bearings in the freezer & heat up the hub for easier install?

Old 05-31-2014, 09:46 AM
Turret_plug
Road Master

Originally Posted by Pix
Do you guys put the bearings in the freezer & heat up the hub for easier install?
Not the first couple times, but I read on here to try dry ice..... Grabbed some at walmart, didn't seem to really help

Old 05-31-2014, 01:17 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

When I had my front wheel off recently I looked at the bearing set up. The spacer, or tube, that goes through the center of the hub between the 2 bearings takes up all the gap and does not leave an edge on the bearing that I would think you would need for the puller to get a hold of the bearing. Those of you that have pulled these bearings, how did the tool work with a set up like that?

Old 05-31-2014, 02:57 PM
Turret_plug
Road Master

Originally Posted by Guntoter
When I had my front wheel off recently I looked at the bearing set up. The spacer, or tube, that goes through the center of the hub between the 2 bearings takes up all the gap and does not leave an edge on the bearing that I would think you would need for the puller to get a hold of the bearing. Those of you that have pulled these bearings, how did the tool work with a set up like that?
I believe it's called a blind hole puller..... Mine is essentially a kit with a plug, that widens once you tighten it down inside the bearing, then it has a cup that goes over the hub and a rod that goes through the cup, as you screw the rod out, it in turn pulls the bearing out.....

I hope that made sense, there's a vid on you tube

Old 05-31-2014, 03:36 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by Guntoter
Believe it or not there actually is an edge between the spacer and bearing. The tool fits down into that wee edge with a little click and off you go...

Originally Posted by Pix
Yes, I freeze the bearing and it usually drops right down by itself without any or little force. Science is cool.

lp

Last edited by lp; 05-31-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:45 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slick hd
Autozone rents tools so yes they do.
I guess since they sell parts, they also sell Harley parts? that's your logic...... The puller is a special blind bearing puller, and no, none of the 15 stores in my area have the blind bearing puller.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing Puller / Install