Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid Change & Checking Help

Old 06-04-2014, 01:20 PM
troverman
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fluid Change & Checking Help

First off, I know people are going to say 'read the manual,' etc. I have read the service manual and some things seem a bit ambiguous still.

I have a 1999 Road King Classic - first bike ever and I love it. So far, I've ridden about 1500 miles. I have done one oil change immediately upon getting the bike, using Harley oil and filter.

I'm confused about what other 'fluids' need to be changed. The big chaincase is one, I'm assuming (which has the large, circular chromed cover on the bike left side when sitting in the seat)? Does the transmission also have its own fluid change as well? (I know there is oil in each of these areas, just wondering if any 'share' oil with each other?)

1. For the engine oil change, I removed the drain bolt under the bike which sits horizontal, parallel to the ground. I refilled with standard HD 20w50 oil. Filter is self explanatory on the front behind the front wheel.

2. Where is the transmission drain plug / fill plug? How do you 'check' the level? What oil should I run in the transmission?

3. The main chaincase, from what I've read, you remove the circular chrome cover to get at the oil. What is the correct level for this chaincase? Also, what oil do I run in here?

Finally, checking engine oil level. I know it is checked with the dipstick on the right side of the engine when seated on the bike. Do I check the level with the bike on its stand leaning, or by balancing the bike level? Do I push the dipstick all the way in or just part-way.

I really appreciate whatever answers those with experience can provide. I want to maintain this thing...it now has 27k miles on it and runs pretty well. I did pull off the cam cover during my oil change to examine at least the outer tensioner, which seemed OK.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:24 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 06-04-2014, 01:32 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 06-04-2014, 01:42 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

This has to be some kind of a joke!!!! Step back away from your bike, put down any tools you have in your hands & 'Take your bike to the nearest dealership or indy' before you hurt yourself or the bike!!! LMAO!!!!

Old 06-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure what "service manual" you have read. But, if you have the actual Factory Service Manual for your year and model, than all your answers will be found there. Remember, the "owners manual" is NOT the same as the "service manual." It is good to have both, but FSM is the best source of info for the DIY person.

Also, there are many opinions of the subject, but personally I like to use a good synthetic 20W50 motor oil (Mobil 1 V-twin in my case) in the crankcase, actual gear lube in the transmission, and Harley Formula + in the primary . I do not believe using motor oil in all 3 holes is the best way to go. The choice is yours and opinions vary...

Old 06-04-2014, 02:22 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by troverman
I have read the service manual and some things seem a bit ambiguous still.
OP, this is not an attack or meant to be mean or anything other than solid advice to help you out.

If you truly have the Service Manual and these are still ambiguous to you, IMHO, you should not attempt to perform the maintenance on your machine. I thought at first I would say to find a buddy who has done it before to help, but again, if you are not able to comprehend the service manual, you should not do the service on your bike. I equate this to being a surgeon. I could read a surgeons manual all day long but I would never understand 1/2 of the terms they use or even what they mean. You could even put in pictures and I would be lost.

If you have the owners manual and not the service manual, then you should go buy one, read the section on maintenance and then decide if you can complete the task.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:29 PM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Man, normally I shy away from responding to these types of posts.....but he can't have a service manual. I think he has the owner's manual

Old 06-04-2014, 02:52 PM
troverman
Advanced

Actually, between the video and the 'drain plugs for dummies' I got the information I needed. I've never worked on a bike before, but I have successfully worked on automobiles for years. I do have the service manual, but no owner's manual. I think maybe I didn't read it clearly enough, or perhaps its not the factory service manual. I wasn't clear what the extra, hex-headed recessed plugs were, nor what type of lubricant I should use in the chaincase and transmission. It seems if you use synthetic lube, you can use the same for all three. I'm sure the HD dealer will happily sell me whatever should be used in the trans and chaincase if I choose standard oil for the engine.

Thanks again -

Old 06-04-2014, 03:11 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by troverman
Actually, between the video and the 'drain plugs for dummies' I got the information I needed. I've never worked on a bike before, but I have successfully worked on automobiles for years. I do have the service manual, but no owner's manual. I think maybe I didn't read it clearly enough, or perhaps its not the factory service manual. I wasn't clear what the extra, hex-headed recessed plugs were, nor what type of lubricant I should use in the chaincase and transmission. It seems if you use synthetic lube, you can use the same for all three. I'm sure the HD dealer will happily sell me whatever should be used in the trans and chaincase if I choose standard oil for the engine.

Thanks again -
The dealer will happily sell you *anything*! It might even be right. Now that you know which plug to pull & where to put the new oils back in here's a couple of suggestions:

Oil is a religion, everyone prays to their own deity so no brand suggestions. However, a good 20W50 for the motor (dino or synth), a good *gear* oil for the transmission, & any reputable (I use Castrol 20W50) oil in the primary. That oil only lubricates the chain & isn't subject to much shear or severe wear.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:43 AM
troverman
Advanced

OK, thanks for the suggestions. I'll take care of changing these fluids again this weekend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fluid Change & Checking Help