Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 07:46 PM
BarrettsPrivateer
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Security Problem

Got back from a ride, parked bike on driveway and shut it off, opened garage, sat down had a beer. Finished beer, went to start bike to ride it into garage, security system wouldn't disable, tried 2nd fob, security still wouldn't disable. Could hear the fuel pump, but once the column lock is in the ignition position as well as the run/stop in the run position the turn signals go nuts and start button does nothing. Tried each fob again a couple times, no go. Got really lucky that this happened at home where I had my pin code wrote down in my tool box (I know, lotta good that'd do me out on the road). Entered pin code, bike started and rode into the garage. Shut off again and on to beer #2. Searched the interwebs, not much luck, tried each fob several more times, consistently found neither fob would disarm security system (problem was not intermittent, but absolutely consistent), but pin code worked every time (also consistent). Picked up 2 new fob batteries the next day at the dealership, both measure over 3vdc, installed polarity correct, still no go with fobs, called dealer, service manager recommended double checking polarity of batteries in fobs, already done, he insisted I check again, ok, done, booked bike in 2 weeks away, awesome (this is the dealer the bike was purchased from, next closest is 5 hr drive). They looked at the bike today, found no issue using either fob several times each to start the bike. Hooked bike up to diagnostic tool, no codes no problems. Called me to pick up bike, bike started with fobs no problem 3 or 4 times before I left, got home, fobs will not start bike same as before, pin code still works. Gonna take bike out tomorrow and shut it off at several different spots around town to see if fobs work elsewhere but I'm slightly frustrated with this. No cell towers near my place, and my cell phone wasn't anywhere near the fobs. Anybody experienced anything similar? And if so, what was the cure?

Friendly advice: for those who have newer style security systems, know your pin code and keep it on you

Old 08-04-2014, 08:06 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Any new cars in the drive way with alarms? new house security? did you move the TV in the house to a different wall? ok that might be going a little far, it sounds to me that you are getting some kind of interference. JMO. It sounds like you are on the right track by trying different locations. I would start at the end of the drive way or out on the street and work your way toward the garage until you find the dead spot. Good luck.

Last edited by TcHunter; 08-04-2014 at 08:14 PM.