Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

And here I am... From Italy

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 02:25 PM
99octane
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And here I am... From Italy

Hello everybody. I'm new here (as you can tell by the fact I'm posting in the newby section...). I've lurked sometime and decided to introduce myself today.
Why today? Because I've got my first bike, and it's an HD Dyna Superglide Custom.
I'm from Italy and I'm 36 years old.
Yep, I know. That's a pretty old age to start riding a bike...
Long story short, I've always loved american bikes, Harleys in particular but also all kind of custom made choppers.
I've also always considered them a devil's instrument. I love engines and sports cars. I own a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX which I hade tuned up by Powerstation in the UK to 360 hp.
I was happy with that and, hell, still I am. But recently I decided that I've had enough of looking longingly to HD dealers windows, and that I had to grow out of my fears. So I took my first riding lesson. Was one of the scariest things I did in my life. I ended with my arms aching due to how hard I gripped the handlebars. The second lesson was far easier, even if it was with a bike four times as powerful as the one used for the first ride, and was in the full traffic of rush hour in Milano, one of the cities with the worst traffic in the world. The third was fun. By the fourth, I was getting positively addicted.
I've still to get my driving licence (I hope to pass the exam in January) meanwhile italian law allows me to drive my new bike with a temporary permit (lasting 6 months).
I think that what changed my mind was a documentary I saw on Discovery Channel about Indian Larry. When it was over, I knew I'd try to win my innate fears and buy a bike. And was not one of those "tries" like "oh, well, it seems I can't do it"...
It's not over yet, so I won't say anymore just to avoid teasing bad luck...
What about my bike? Well, this is a Harley Davidson forum, so it's perfectly useless a roolie like me tells you how wonderful, smooth and great is a Dyna Superglide Custom to ride, but I will tell it nonetheless because I've just made a dream real.
This bkie is absolutely SPECTACULAR. It's smooth, it doesn't seem to weigh it's 600 pounds (add 230 or so of 6'6" driver) and handles like a dream: it handles like I imagined it would handle, and runs like I imagined it would run. Juts a touch of gas, and it will climb up walls, without yanks or hiccups...
Absolutely wonderful.
I had to pay dearly for it, as HD in Italy are pretty expensive. Mine was 14.400 € (roughly 20.100$) at a 5% discount. The price includes registration taxes (pretty high here), a full tank (of expensive hypertaxed low-octane italian gas), the anti-theft immobilizer system with siren and a couple of other accessories that, as far as I know, are optional in the USA. It's expensive all the same. I have to say the guys at the dealership have been very friendly and cohoperative, and have given a lot of good advice to make me do the right choice, even if it was for a less expensive model than the one I had initially in mind. I guss they want their customers happy and returning which is rare all the same in these days of "bite and run".
So, here I am, happy owner of a Superglide Custom. [8D]
Hi everybody and thanks for the advice I've already got from this forum while lurking.

edited to correct some typoes.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:46 PM
kyroger
Road Warrior
Default RE: And here I am... From Italy

Welcome from Kentucky

Old 12-11-2007, 02:57 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Welcome to the world of HD.

MikeM

Old 12-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Welcome from Wesley Chapel Fl.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:59 PM
2002fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome from Atlanta!

Old 12-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Pooh AKA Bear
Road Captain

Welcome and howdy from Texas!!

Old 12-11-2007, 04:40 PM
WGRIDER
Ultimate HDF Member

Welcome from Richmond,VA

Old 12-11-2007, 05:02 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome from INDY

Old 12-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Towpro
Banned

Welcome to the HDF from Northern Va......ride safe.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome from California, USA. Those Italian scooters are like missiles. Almost got taken out by one as a pedestrian in Rome.

Quick Reply: And here I am... From Italy