Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help wiring tail light

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:39 PM
kmealp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help wiring tail light

Ok I am putting on a side mount license plate with model a tail light on my 04 superglide. first I know the brown wire is the power for the right turn signal and violet is for the left. I know i have to split the black to go to each turn signal. now i have two wires for running light one is orange with white and on the schematic is the hdi. the other is blue and it is the dom, the red with yellow is the brake light. now the model a tail light has two bulbs upper and lower witch is the tag light also. heres were i need help i run the red and yellow to the top bulb for brake? witch wire do i use for the running light, tag light(o/w or blue) both are hot with key on. and i dont run a ground to tail light because it only has the two bulbs and two wires. any help is very helpfull i am bad at wiring.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:44 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would use the blue since it's for the domestic bikes (HDI is HD international). Red and yellow to the brake and you're in business. The light will ground through the housing.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:31 AM
kmealp
Cruiser

thanks that helps.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:30 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

The wiring schematic is wrong, the O/W wire is accessory power. Ackman is right use the blue
Here is a diagram I made first time I changed mine...What can I say, I like purdy pictures.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:03 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Blue Wire is running light for turn sigs, o/w is running light for tail lamp (bottom light in Model A Lamp), r/y is brake light (top bulb). You will need to add a ground to the light. I used a round crimpwire end and secured it to one of the bolts on the back of the housing (Road 6 recommended this). I did build my own wire loom when I did this and ran the o/w, r/y (I did not use the stock colors, but the ones the light came with, green(brake) and black(running) I believe) and a black wire from the lamp back into a stock connection, now it is plug and play. I will try and post some pics later for you.

Just so you know, the wires that run to the center tail lamp on the Street Bob (Donky Dick version, 2010 and newer I believe) only has the three wires mentioned. The Red/Yellow, Orange/White and Black and that is why I told you this way, there is no Blue wire running to it, it only goes to the two turn sigs.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by blueangel73; 03-12-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:14 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

If you use the O/W for running it will be on even in the ACC position, if you use the Blue it is only on if the Ignition switch is in the Run position.
Personally why use the O/W when the Blue is the actual running light? He has an 04, not a newer bike.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:47 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 8541hog
If you use the O/W for running it will be on even in the ACC position, if you use the Blue it is only on if the Ignition switch is in the Run position.
Personally why use the O/W when the Blue is the actual running light? He has an 04, not a newer bike.
That make since. I just stating how it is ran on my bike and that is the only system I have worked with. When I added my side mount I also added LED strips for run/stop/turn sigs. Below is a diagram I made that when I made this change.

Its only a personal reference but most of it is close to the stock setup in the wiring diagram in the book. (06'-newer)

Old 03-12-2012, 03:57 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by kmealp
...now the model a tail light has two bulbs upper and lower witch is the tag light also...
Marty,
In order to help you solve your problem I would like to know how many bulbs this model a light has and if there are single or dual filament lamps.

Could you post some images?

In general I can say:

Types of bulbs used in taillights are:

- Dual filament for brake/tail light 20W/5W

- Single filament 20W as brake light

- Single filament 5W as tail light

- Festoon bulb 3-5W as a tag light.

Color codes to use on your Dyna 2004:

Blue for running/tail light and tag light

Red/yellow as brake light

Black to ground

8541hog is right: Orange/white has power when ignition key is turned into Acc and Ign position. This wire is used on HDI models to feed the taillight when the bike is parked at night.

Here's in image I posted some time ago on how to wire a double filament taillight:

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 03-12-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:54 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

If the Model A lamp is a traditional one then it has two bulbs and both are single filaments. Here are some pics of how mine looked before I did the LED conversion. Bottom light is a running ligh and doesn't shnge brightness with brake and it also light the tag up. The top light is only on with the brake applied.
No Brake

Brake

Back of housing

It is well worth the $30 bucks to add the LED conversion and its plug and play, no extra wires to run or anything.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:08 PM
kmealp
Cruiser

Got it wired blue and the red and yellow. How is the whole light on with the led and then when the brake is applied if it is still wired the same? and who did you get the leds from? Thanks for all the help it worked great.

Quick Reply: need help wiring tail light