Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has a solo spring seat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Inthespiral
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has a solo spring seat?

I'm tossing around the idea of getting one of these for my soon to be dyna low rider project, and curious how they feel? I've never sat or road on one. Can anyone give positive and/or negative feedback on them? I think they look badass, and would go nice with my theme...whatever the hell my theme is gonna be, I have no clue....still workin on it.

I assume it would be comfortable, but not sure. I'm planning on having my rear suspension slammed, so the suspension may end up being pretty stiff, and I think a spring seat might help alleviate the back jarring bumps?

I'm still researching rear shocks, but cheap is good. I'm liking the idea of burly 10.5". No plans for any/much 2up riding, road trips, or hard riding with this next project. Thanks.

Last edited by Inthespiral; 05-13-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:06 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I have one from Mother Road Customs

The seat I bought is the large 13" x 15" pan with distressed leather and I added the 1" gel option.

I don't have it on the bike at the moment, but I use it from time to time. It is extremely well made.

It is by far the most comfortable seat I have (even though I'm not using it currently.)

I also put 3.5" hairpin springs from Lowbrow Customs just to give it more suspension.

You are absoulutley right that the spring seat will absorb the harshness of a low suspension. I run Progressive 412 shocks (although standard length) and they can be harsh at times. The springs in the seat absorb the harshness very well.

If you like the look, you will certainly love the feel. The only things I advise:
1. Get a pan size for your a$$. IMHO the HD spring seat looks great but is too narrow. I tried one on a sporty (same HD seat that fits the Dyna) and the narrow pan dug into my inner thighs. The MRC 13" x 15" seat doesn't do that at all.
2. Sacrifice a bit of cash for some cushioning. These pans can be flat and shapeless to some extent.

I don't have pics on this PC but will post a few from my home computer.

BTW. MRC is a mom and pop operation but very responsive with quick work. I had mine custom made and they made it the same day I ordered it. I had it within three or four days with shipping.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:14 AM
Inthespiral
Cruiser

That's great advice and I appreciate the quick reply! My big *** will definitely look into a wide load carrying seat

I haven't spent much time researching the seats, but seems like they can be had on fleebay for about $300 or so, including the mounting hardware. I'll definitely check out your source. Thanks!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Pics of the Mother Road Customs spring seat

Attached Thumbnails Who has a solo spring seat?-mrc-2.jpg   Who has a solo spring seat?-mrc-1.jpg  
Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking into a spring seat a while back. Didn't like the HD ones and started asking around. Spoke to one guy at a custom shop who said with my weight (160lbs dripping wet) I wouldn't even move the springs, at all. So kinda went off the idea.
Tried one on a 48 a couple of weeks back, and he was right, didn't move a fraction, at all, even tried bouncing it and it still didn't move. So unless you can get custom springs for your weight I don't think it'll do anymore than look cool.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by fatboy slim
I was looking into a spring seat a while back. Didn't like the HD ones and started asking around. Spoke to one guy at a custom shop who said with my weight (160lbs dripping wet) I wouldn't even move the springs, at all. So kinda went off the idea.
Tried one on a 48 a couple of weeks back, and he was right, didn't move a fraction, at all, even tried bouncing it and it still didn't move. So unless you can get custom springs for your weight I don't think it'll do anymore than look cool.
I wish I was 160lbs again!

One thing that I would add, harsh bumps that you feel, especially on a Sporty or slammed bike, will move the springs.

There are different spring weights available from some companies. They have coils or hairpin also. The coils tend to be a bit softer.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:32 AM
Inthespiral
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SLV
Pics of the Mother Road Customs spring seat
I dig it! I think it will go well with how I plan to set up the rest of the bike

Originally Posted by fatboy slim
I'm 250, dry and naked...I move ****

I assume I'd have to set the burly 10.5" shocks pretty stiff, so I don't bottom the tire out on the fender...just don't know yet, don't have the bike yet, or any of the parts, still in the planning stages. The bike has stock shocks with a 1" lowering bracket right now. Been a while since I rode it, but I think I remember rubbing when I hit a bump...can't remember. (bike belongs to a family member, and I test rode it and looked it over before they bought it. Now they don't ride, and I will be in the market for that bike in a few weeks. I didn't really study the bike much, and am new to dyna's, so I don't know how much clearance there is between the tire and fender, etc.) Trying to plan out the build and parts before I get the bike, so I can get it done all in one shot. Soon as I get the bike home, gonna take it completely apart, and spend the next couple months giving it a complete facelift.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Fargone11
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a fan of the spring seat! Looks and feels awesome....

Old 05-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Idaho Spud
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had one on a Sportster 72. It was the HD model. I weigh 185lbs and there was no spring. A brick would be as comfortable.