Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED taillight question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 04:34 PM
sarpeezy
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LED taillight question

Im stuck in between a couple things to purchase, one of them being LED taillights, but with so many options, i have some questions.

1) Looking at joker machine square LED turn lights..im sure some people have them here, can you post some pictures? Do these perform turn signal, city, and stop?

2) Im going to sound like an idiot because I dont know what some of these parts are called but here it goes..If i remove the OEM taillight, those little nubs that the sissy bar swings onto, would i still be able to use them?

3) Theres always threads about load balancers and stuff, do i need this if i do the taillights?

and i guess anything else you think i should know about this...i dont even know if im doing turn signals or something else, but its always good for future reference

Old 02-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your bike has one tail light and two turn signals in the rear.

Sounds like you are wanting to go to LEDs on your turn signals and not actually the tail light...is that right?

I have an LED tail light and stock turns. No equalizer is needed since the tail is either on or off and does not need to flash.

If you want LED turns, then you possibly need an equalizer. The reason being is that LEDs have basically no resisitance and you actually need to have a load for the light to work correctly or flash.

I believe that sometime you may be alright if only doing LED turns in the back and not the front, because the fronts will have the load on them and the lights will flash correctly. More than likely, you will need to add some type of resistor. I have not done it so can't verify.

Does this make sense to you? I am by no means an expert, but this should give you an idea of what's going on.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:56 PM
sarpeezy
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mascman
Your bike has one tail light and two turn signals in the rear.

Sounds like you are wanting to go to LEDs on your turn signals and not actually the tail light...is that right?

I have an LED tail light and stock turns. No equalizer is needed since the tail is either on or off and does not need to flash.

If you want LED turns, then you possibly need an equalizer. The reason being is that LEDs have basically no resisitance and you actually need to have a load for the light to work correctly or flash.

I believe that sometime you may be alright if only doing LED turns in the back and not the front, because the fronts will have the load on them and the lights will flash correctly. More than likely, you will need to add some type of resistor. I have not done it so can't verify.

Does this make sense to you? I am by no means an expert, but this should give you an idea of what's going on.
It does make sense....but I thought our so called "turn signals" were dual filament bulbs...so they also acted as the stop light and city light...

I could care less about that ugly taillight Itll go one day but i dont know when just yet

Old 02-07-2014, 05:41 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Don't know what year your SB is but you will likely (90%) need a load equalizer.
The "docking" hardware should be independent of the tail light.
You don't need to do both front and rear lights at same time.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Depending on what you are looking to achieve as far as looks go, you could always pull the taillight, or leave it... and change the bulbs in your turn signals to LED bulbs. I'd recommend Custom Dynamics. They have the best led bulbs by far, in my opinion. And its as easy as changing a bulb. no need to worry about equalizers, or new wiring for a whole different turn signal housing. You'd need 1157 bulbs because, yes, your sigs are dual filament.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:52 PM
sarpeezy
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dynam1te
Depending on what you are looking to achieve as far as looks go, you could always pull the taillight, or leave it... and change the bulbs in your turn signals to LED bulbs. I'd recommend Custom Dynamics. They have the best led bulbs by far, in my opinion. And its as easy as changing a bulb. no need to worry about equalizers, or new wiring for a whole different turn signal housing. You'd need 1157 bulbs because, yes, your sigs are dual filament.
Thats an option I guess, I wanted to get rid of the big turn signals and replace them with smaller options...like jokermachine

Old 02-07-2014, 07:18 PM
JonnyLew
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agree customdynamics.com I just spent a hour or so searching through town here and online..seem lotsa ebay seller wanna charge insane shipping amounts for bulbs..customdynamics has regular or led bulbs..found the 1157 reg dual density bulbs in red for my smoked lens i just installed

Old 03-13-2014, 06:33 PM
HatchetRob
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bumping the thread... waiting to see if they can be used as run stop turn. and still waiting for pic of joker machine square leds on someone bike. you can add a resistor instead a load equalizer I believe. also check out alloy art led strut turn signals. real low key, another option.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:50 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the square signals i saw were 2 wire. so unless the manufacturer installed dimmable leds they probably cant be used for run turn stop. and you'd need to buy/build a circuit to merge the turn and run/brake signals together.

personally i wouldnt be looking to get smaller turn signals on a streetbob ( or any other bike that doesnt have a dedicated brake light)

as for the load equalizer, 2012 and newer should not require one.