Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

INFO / PICS 4 DIY: Powervision Target Tune sensor wiring locations and routing on Softail

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 06:04 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
Post INFO / PICS 4 DIY: Powervision Target Tune sensor wiring locations and routing on Softail

This is info for the Target Tune add on module to Powervision. Installing this model requires running four sets of wires - Two sets that connect the Target Tune module to the stock ECM plug connectors for the narrow band O2 sensors, and two sets of wires that will plug the Target Tune module into the new wide band O2 sensors.

The install guide included with Target Tune is basic but decent- however, leaves it up to you to determine how to best route all of the wires to both the stock ECM plugs for the narrow band sensors, and to the new wide band sensors.
Good news, this is pretty easy to do as long as you know how to run the wires, and this method hides the wires so they are pretty much invisible.
This can be done with pipes on but will be easier /faster with pipes off.

Those of you with a full size battery will need to pull the battery. I have a puny little AntiGravity Lithium battery so I have lots of room to the side where the wires need to drop through the battery compartment on exhaust side of bike.

First pic is the "diagram" for all four of the Target Tune sensor wiring sets- this is really easy to see how ot run it once you look at your bike. you'll basically just drop wires down through the battery box and follow the stock wiring up to front of bike, there is a fat cable of wires so just run new wires along that.

The new wide band O2 sensors have a huge plug on them (see picture #3 i have them installed in pipes). You can hide this plug for the front pipe behind the voltage regulator plate at front of frame. this plate tilts forward with removing two alan screws. that is also the location of the front narrow band sensor OE connector.

Second pic is the side of battery box used to drop wires through, and also the location of the rear narrow band sensor plug.

Third pic are my pipes just got them from shop with bungs welded on. I hit them with some VHT "flameproof" flat black and then a few coats of their Flameproof satin clear. i also painted the wide band O2 sensors to match. Note that I did not use the flat weld-on O2 bungs that are included with the full TT kit. they are the wrong type for our HD bikes. You'll need to pick up a pair of 18mm 45 degree angled radiused bungs on ebay or amazon ($20-$30 / pair). that is the only way you'll get a clean and proper weld-on install.

Hope it helps - this should be about exactly same on Dynas too.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 02-05-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:27 PM
breakman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,552 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Why did you not just plug the NB bungs? Does TT uses both NB and WB?

Last edited by breakman; 02-05-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:14 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

TT only uses the wide band sensors, and then relays the data to the ECM through the bike's narrow band sensor wires.

the narrow band sensors themselves are not plugged into anything. i am only using them right now to plug the holes. if the TT unit works out well then I will remove the narrow band sensors and put in some 12mm threaded plugs. if i had welded the narrow band bungs closed then i would not be able to revert back if needed.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:10 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I remember doing all that wiring for the PV Auto Tune Pro on the Street Bob and the Lo. That is exactly how I wired mine. Nice write up. If I did not have mine all perfectly tuned with the AT Pro, the TT would be a perfect replacement.

Nice job on the new bungs, when I bought my new pipes, I made sure the bungs were already 18mm.

Make sure you post your thoughts on the TT. It would be nice to hear your opinion.

Last edited by Gommee; 02-06-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:04 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Gommee. Yeh buying pipes with the bungs already on would have been nice- but good thing is it's not hard nor expensive to add them later. Only thing guys have to watch out for is buying pipes that have 18mm narrow band bungs - Those would be located about 8" to 12" down the pipe from head whereas wide band 18mm bungs are located 4" to 6" from head. Unfortunately V&H does this on some of their pipes with the "dual bung" that has an 18mm opening with a 12mm removable insert.

I'm hoping this module does work well so we'll see- Real time wide band ECM operation in full closed loop? What's not to love about that?

Your FB is looking pretty sweet- Bassani makes a nice pipe and the Road Rage fits the lines of that bike well.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:39 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks LA Dog! It took me 7 yrs to get the Street Bob where I wanted it, decided when I got the Lo I wanted it all done in the first year. I have a few cosmetic things to do this before riding season. Only thing I am going to do to the motor is cams, but not for another year or so. I want it broken in a little more.

The TT looks interesting, The feed back from the wide band O2 sensors on a constant basis will allow the ECM to operate in a closed loop allowing constant adjustment from the feed back. Being in open loop like mine is with the AT Pro, I run Auto Tunes until the tune is stable, Lock n Load it, forget about it and ride. So far I have been happy with the PV - AT Pro setup. I can't see spending another $300 and throwing a $300 module in a box never to be used again. I wish Fuel Moto did a trade in program.

Looking forward to your Review.
Your build has turned out be be quite an impressive work of art!

Last edited by Gommee; 02-06-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:40 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeh I hear ya. Its a never ending process with the goodies and upgrades. I'll probably do some mild cams- 57H with a +4 advance gear, something like that, .030 head gasket - and call it a day. I am next putting on a set of larger 4.9 injectors with a bored out stock TB to 51mm. Just enough to support a tad over the 100hp mark. The 46mm stock TB and puny injectors can barely keep up with a plain stock 103.

Best performance upgrade I've done so far is the 30/70 belt pulleys. it's like i dropped 100lbs off the bike, completely different machine. gets up and goes like it's supposed to. It's probably the single best performance upgrade on 2007-up softail/dyna bikes as far as return for money spent.

Anyway- got the TT installed tonight but no time to fire up and test ride. just checked the ECM, flashed my new TT enabled tune, made sure the ECM was seeing the WB O2 F/R signals. unfortunately I could only find my set of flat copper exhaust gaskets, no idea where I put me set of SE mesh gaskets - so I'm hoping the VH pipes don't leak and sealed properly. will know tomorrow..

Last edited by LA_Dog; 02-06-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:52 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Gommee- I posted my impression and results over in the Breakout thread here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...l#post14823397

definitely "two thumbs up" once I got past an initial kink in the auto tuning process. this is the real deal.