Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hand brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:34 PM
EddieM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand brake

Call me crazy or dumb but I'm looking in to doing a hand brake set up on my nightster. I'm looking to start ripping long wheelies and possibly start stunting it. I can do wheels now on the passenger pegs but don't like that I have no brake control. Can anyone guide me or point me to someone who has done this?

Thanks eddid

Old 08-25-2014, 11:22 PM
JB'R
Tourer

Not sure about the hand brake, but if you see how stunt bikes are modded it could help you on what you're after. I saw one that has a brake pedal on the left next to the gear lever so you could use your rear brakes and the gears without changing the place of your feet. I believe he added a 2nd calliper on the rear and routed the brake line to the left. It was a guy on here I believe who stunted his bike too. Try doing a search and see what you come up with. I hope this helps until someone more knowledgable here answers your questions.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:26 AM
EddieM
6th Gear

Yes that's exactly what I'm looking to do. I'll have to research see if I can find it. I got the idea of how to do it just don't know as far mounting the caliper and stuff

Old 08-26-2014, 08:27 AM
shawnryan111
Intermediate

This may be a dumb suggestion but it was the thought that came to mind when I read you post.

I don’t know if there are any mechanical limitations to this but it seems to me the cheapest way would be to switch the front and back brake lines so that the brake lever on the handlebars will operate the rear brakes and the foot control will operate the front brake. Therefore when you are up on the back wheel you can operate the rear brake from the handlebar lever.

On normal riding you will have some getting use to but if you are like me I apply both brakes at the same time so it wouldn’t be that big of a deal. But if you lock the front brake up you would have to remember to let of the foot control to correct.

This especially wouldn’t be a problem if this is the only bike you ride because you will get use to it.

The question is are there any mechanical limitations to this or any other issues that would make this not work well.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:36 PM
EddieM
6th Gear

Although it's not a bad suggestion I don't think I could do it. I'm so use to the way it is from riding dirt bikes and what not. Plus I do lots of riding on my pops streetglide. I think it be difficult to get use to. N most stunt bikes seem to fab a lever on the clutch side so I'd like to try to stay with that idea. Thanks for the input tho im always open for ideas

Old 08-26-2014, 05:00 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 711 Likes on 328 Posts

If you have instagram you can search either Jason Pullen Stunts or rob1wheelrevolution. Both are big time H-D stunters and both use Sportsters. Maybe an email to either one may help you along.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:33 PM
170-3tree
Advanced

On some of the bigger Asian bikes the front brake also applies a small amount of pressure to the rear. I thinkthe easiest way to do what you want would be find a way to copy that type of system. If not even find the system and adapt it to your bike.

I believe my msf instructor told me gold wings and the like.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftace
If you have instagram you can search either Jason Pullen Stunts or rob1wheelrevolution. Both are big time H-D stunters and both use Sportsters. Maybe an email to either one may help you along.

u can also look up

Matt Mingay and DAN LAIRD

Facebook.com/hdstunts

twitter.com/dizzlestunts

im sure they will help you out with what you want to do ..

Old 08-28-2014, 10:52 AM
jeffmedrano
4th Gear

Originally Posted by EddieM
Call me crazy or dumb but I'm looking in to doing a hand brake set up on my nightster. I'm looking to start ripping long wheelies and possibly start stunting it. I can do wheels now on the passenger pegs but don't like that I have no brake control. Can anyone guide me or point me to someone who has done this?

Thanks eddid
Looking for tires for your Nightster? So you can do more stuntin. PM me. I got a set

Old 08-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Rick7938
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could try doing what some of the shops do around Fort Bragg for soldiers who have lost lower limbs. They put in a proportioning valve that lets you use only the front hand brake to dial in as much brake bias to the front or rear as you want. Just a thought.