2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Seats for Sport Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 12:46 PM
polbit
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Belloc42
The Mustang seat is nice. I like that you can make it solo if you like, and the passenger seat is positively plush. If you find it comfortable, you'll have a winner.
Definitely do not like the look of that passenger seat when not being used, so easy removal is a big plus.

My first few upgrades are already well into 4 digits. This is like a trip to Costco for some pork chops.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:58 PM
Belloc42
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by polbit
Definitely do not like the look of that passenger seat when not being used, so easy removal is a big plus.

My first few upgrades are already well into 4 digits. This is like a trip to Costco for some pork chops.
Yeah, the better the passenger seat, the more like a fender tumor it is, so that was my thinking too. My wife is on back for an hour or two at a time tops, so I compromised with Corbin's Widowmaker - it's a couple of inches wider and should have much better foam. She stays up against my back the whole time, so length wasn't really a factor. The touring seat has a better pillion pad, but the sides angle out from the fender from the back like a sailor's Dixie cup, and I couldn't live with that as a permanent feature. I can live with the Widowmaker. The removable Mustang pillion is a good arrangement, and I wish I had liked the pilot position. I like the way the pilot seat looks, too. I hope it works better for you!

And yeah, these things are pricey!

Old 02-01-2019, 03:07 PM
username already exists
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Passenger comfort typically suffers for the sake of aesthetics. That's not good for whoever might sit back there! My wife doesn't ride. My choice of solo seats is as much for her peace of mind while I'm away as it is my style preferences.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:22 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Originally Posted by username already exists
Passenger comfort typically suffers for the sake of aesthetics. That's not good for whoever might sit back there! My wife doesn't ride. My choice of solo seats is as much for her peace of mind while I'm away as it is my style preferences.
True enough, but it really comes down to what kind of riding you do. I commute two hours a day, and do a little riding on the weekends with and without my wife, so 8-16 hours a week. She comes along for 1-4 hours on Sundays. It'll be a few years before we can consider really doing some touring together, so I want her to be comfortable, but I'm not putting a touring saddle back there...

Old 02-18-2019, 04:10 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Update on the Corbin: A bit late, but I was waiting to get a decent pic of the seat - finally got the bike washed, and a nice day today. As I mentioned before, I specified softer foam than Corbin's standard. It's still firm, though not as firm as the Saddlemen Explorer, but firmer than the Mustang Touring Standard. It's a good compromise. The shape provides good support, both lower back and on the sides, where it's cupped. I like it a lot. The pillion seat is 2-3 inches wider than stock and less mushy, and my wife says she's very happy with it. It puts her a bit higher in relation to me, too, and that seems to be a plus. It is an inch or an inch-and-a-half lower and further back, which had more effect on the rider triangle than I expected. I was very happy with the basic position before, having come from standards. The new position wasn't bad, but I felt like it was straining my lower back a bit to lean further forward, so I picked up some 4" pull back risers from the forum (the stock risers are straight 2 1/2" - these are up 1 1/2" and back the same amount). Still deciding if I like that.

The seat itself fits both the Low Rider and the Sport Glide. The pictures on the the Corbin site show the seat on the Low Rider, and with the large chrome tank strap, it seems to fit well. The Sport Glide has the thin plastic strap however, so as you can see in my pics, it leaves a gap between the tank and the front of the seat. I emailed Corbin twice with pics about this, but never got a response (not that they could do anything about it other than designing a new seat pan). I know this is a deal-breaker for some people, which is why I'm being careful to point it out. I'm not crazy about it, but I'm not losing sleep over it either.

In any case, other than nailing down the handlebar situation, I'm really happy with the seat.

Last edited by Belloc42; 02-18-2019 at 04:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rauchman (01-29-2022)
Old 02-18-2019, 06:25 PM
polbit
Tourer

That reminds me, I got the Mustang Wide Tripper Solo with backrest, and it's a winner. Like the position, even though it's not any higher, and getting used to my first backrest. Definitely a keeper.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:49 AM
Belloc42
Tourer

You know, this is really true. I've never customized a bike to the degree that I'm customizing this one, even one that I rode for 8 years, and it's not because it needs it more. That bike I had for 8 years had several things that I didn't like, but just lived with. Part of it may be that I owned that bike before the internet made it so easy to track stuff down. I certainly still don't have bags of cash lying around, so that's not it. Maybe it's the huge Harley aftermarket, and there's something new every day. I really didn't intend to make any mods at all - I was really pleased with the bike right off the floor, and still am. I guess I'm feeling the effect of the legendary HD modding addiction, but the first step in breaking free is realizing you have a problem - I need to buy less, and ride more.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:19 PM
norton74
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

polpit, Congrats on the new Mustang seat! Could you post some pics?

Old 02-19-2019, 12:38 PM
polbit
Tourer

Originally Posted by norton74
polpit, Congrats on the new Mustang seat! Could you post some pics?
Thanks, here it is!

The following 2 users liked this post by polbit:
norton74 (02-21-2019), rauchman (01-29-2022)
Old 02-19-2019, 12:52 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Thanks, here it is!

Nice!

Quick Reply: Seats for Sport Glide