2018+ Softail Models Breakout

Seats for Sport Glide

Old 01-31-2019, 12:44 PM
polbit
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Seats for Sport Glide

Looking for some advice on seats for my new Sport Glide. I'm fine with the stock riding position, although if there is a seat that is a bit taller, further back, that would be fine too. I'm mostly looking for comfort.

Ideally I would like a solo seat for 80% of riding, ideally commuting, with a comfortable pilon attachement for the 20%. Already have the backrest for the wife. I'm fine buying a solo and a separate 2-up seat though. Looks like there are few choices out there - Saddlemen makes Explorer in few versions, StepUp, Renegate, etc., Miustang has few, Corbin is in the game too.

Any advice from experience? A little lost on what to try...

Old 01-31-2019, 01:58 PM
RollTideRoll
Advanced
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought this one from a member on this forum. He had it made by baldwin seats. Sits slightly higher and very comfortable

The following 2 users liked this post by RollTideRoll:
rauchman (03-08-2019), VernDiesel (12-17-2021)
Old 01-31-2019, 09:15 PM
Belloc42
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

I've been looking for a seat to put me in a bit more upright, standard position. I tried the Saddlemen Explorer and the Mustang Standard Touring Solo with separate passenger seat. Both were nicely made, the Explorer was much firmer, the Mustang softer, but both good. Problem for me was that they both kept me pretty much in a cruiser slouch - when I rotated my upper body forward and more upright, and my butt back, I was sitting on the crack rather than sitting the way the seat was designed. I actually find the stock seat ok, except that my butt slides down eventually and puts my tailbone to sleep - the passenger seat is the bigger problem since my wife often rides with me, and it's miserable for her after an hour. Anyway, I returned both of those (be careful not to mar anything so you can return them), and ordered the Corbin. They seem to have designed it more for the position I'm looking for, and they will alter the shape free if you request it later (as long as it doesn't require re-making the cover). And it costs about the same as the Mustang w/passenger seat. It'll be here next week, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Also, you can specify colors and materials, and they have tons of choices (I still went with black, because I'm boring). Mustang's Classic seat is gorgeous, btw, but it's like $1K, and I've already blown right past my budget on this. I'll try to report back when the Corbin arrives.

Edit: that Baldwin seat is beautiful!

Last edited by Belloc42; 01-31-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:16 AM
polbit
Tourer

Definitely interested in the Corbin feedback! Right now I'm thinking about the Mustang standard but I'll wait to hear from you as a Corbin does have a lot going for it...

Old 02-01-2019, 08:51 AM
Belloc42
Tourer

Originally Posted by polbit
Definitely interested in the Corbin feedback! Right now I'm thinking about the Mustang standard but I'll wait to hear from you as a Corbin does have a lot going for it...
It's supposed to be here Wednesday, and I'll give a full report. A couple of other points about Corbin (some from their site, some from speaking to them by phone): if you live near Hollister (or are willing to go), they'll make it while you wait, designed specifically for you on your bike. Even if you don't go, you can discuss what you want with them on the phone, and they will alter the basic design to your requirements. If you want a change in the seat shape, it goes to a specific department and adds a couple of weeks. If you just specify the materials and the foam density, they make it from scratch anyway, so no time added. (There's a design tool thing for each seat on their site that lets you see what your seat looks like with the materials and stitching you specify. It works well.) They do have many of their basic designs in basic black, so you can order them off the shelf if you don't want changes. They have a reputation for being "all day firm," and I was worried about the passenger seat taking too long to break in, and I'm generally in the saddle for no more than 2 hours at a time, so I specified slightly softer foam for my seat, front and back. The site didn't mention that you could get softer foam, and lots of people don't like how firm they are (lots of people do), so I think it's an important point that you have a choice there. Also, be clear - you can't return them for a refund. They'll change the shape for you for free, they'll swap out the foam for something softer for free, they'll fix anything that's wrong for free, but they won't take the seat back. That's why I was saving them for last.

I should add that by default, Corbin uses leather for the seat panels and vinyl for the sides. They'll use all vinyl if you like, or presumably leather on the sides if you want, but they recommend vinyl for the sides because they handle the flexing better, and leather for the seat panels because they form to you better. The leather is apparently very weather resistant. Not shilling for Corbin - haven't even seen the seat yet - but there are lots of choices to make with them, so passing this along.

Last edited by Belloc42; 02-01-2019 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 02-01-2019, 09:57 AM
username already exists
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

I can only speak to my own limited experience. I bought a new FXBB last summer. I'm tall. Thought I'd replace the stock solo with something more aesthetically pleasing. My first delima was discovering that the stock seat is as much a cover for the stuff under it as it is a place to put your butt when riding. It's basically a roof for all the electronics under there. Any aftermarket seat that doesn't wrap around the frame like the stock seat is going to allow exposure. Purposely designed (expensive) seats for specific models should take care of this. My solution was to remove the cover, reduce the foam in the rear lip by about 1/2 and cut a 4 X 8 rectangle out of the seat foam all the way to the pan. I then glued in a equal sized pad of 3/4 closed cell foam, the stuff they sell for kneeling pads for gardeners and such. Then I re-stretched and re-attached the cover (I used pop rivets instead of staples). The rear seam is close to the lip of the seat instead of 2 inches in front of it. It gave me considerable more reach (and comfort!) and the seat pad, right under where your pelvis bones rest, give more long-distance comfort. A gel pad or some other newer alternative might even increase that comfort. I realize this sort of thing isn't for everyone. I took pause before tearing apart the seat from a brand new motorcycle as well. It really wasn't so difficult though and the results were well worth it. An alternative might be consulting an auto trim shop. There's usually at least one in most sizable towns and cities. If they know their stuff, they should be able to rebuild a seat to your request cheaper than a internet purchase you have only someone else's word on the suitability of. ...again, this is only my take on it. Yours may differ.

The following users liked this post:
Belloc42 (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 10:02 AM
Low budget Dan
Road Master

Received 460 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by RollTideRoll
I bought this one from a member on this forum. He had it made by baldwin seats. Sits slightly higher and very comfortable

I want to see more of that paint job, and to stay on point with this thread I dig that seat

Old 02-01-2019, 10:06 AM
Belloc42
Tourer

Originally Posted by username already exists
I can only speak to my own limited experience. I bought a new FXBB last summer. I'm tall. Thought I'd replace the stock solo with something more aesthetically pleasing. My first delima was discovering that the stock seat is as much a cover for the stuff under it as it is a place to put your butt when riding. It's basically a roof for all the electronics under there. Any aftermarket seat that doesn't wrap around the frame like the stock seat is going to allow exposure. Purposely designed (expensive) seats for specific models should take care of this. My solution was to remove the cover, reduce the foam in the rear lip by about 1/2 and cut a 4 X 8 rectangle out of the seat foam all the way to the pan. I then glued in a equal sized pad of 3/4 closed cell foam, the stuff they sell for kneeling pads for gardeners and such. Then I re-stretched and re-attached the cover (I used pop rivets instead of staples). The rear seam is close to the lip of the seat instead of 2 inches in front of it. It gave me considerable more reach (and comfort!) and the seat pad, right under where your pelvis bones rest, give more long-distance comfort. A gel pad or some other newer alternative might even increase that comfort. I realize this sort of thing isn't for everyone. I took pause before tearing apart the seat from a brand new motorcycle as well. It really wasn't so difficult though and the results were well worth it. An alternative might be consulting an auto trim shop. There's usually at least one in most sizable towns and cities. If they know their stuff, they should be able to rebuild a seat to your request cheaper than a internet purchase you have only someone else's word on the suitability of. ...again, this is only my take on it. Yours may differ.
I considered this, but it wouldn't address my most serious issue, which was the passenger seat - it needed to be bigger. But if the basic seat pan works for you, as you say, an auto upholstery shop should be able to knock something out pretty quickly if you don't want to do it yourself.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:43 AM
polbit
Tourer

My problem as well, passenger seat. That thing is just not build for a full day trip, and that's the intent with my wife, when she does ride.

The Corbin does sound very interesting, I think I'm going to try the Mustang first, and if that doesn't work, Corbin will be getting a call.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:04 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Originally Posted by polbit
My problem as well, passenger seat. That thing is just not build for a full day trip, and that's the intent with my wife, when she does ride.

The Corbin does sound very interesting, I think I'm going to try the Mustang first, and if that doesn't work, Corbin will be getting a call.
The Mustang seat is nice. I like that you can make it solo if you like, and the passenger seat is positively plush. If you find it comfortable, you'll have a winner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seats for Sport Glide