2018+ Softail Models Breakout

18+ Softail Oil Level - 114 engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 05:59 PM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Default 18+ Softail Oil Level - 114 engine

All though on the low side, this seems to be the magic oil level (cold engine) to keep oil from spitting from the air cleaner. If I run it towards the middle of the dipstick I'll get oil splattered on the right side saddle bag and battery cover. I'll also have an oily grime on the bottom of the air cleaner cover. Did 100 mile ride yesterday and no oil anywhere.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:45 AM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

Where is it when it's hot?

Old 04-06-2019, 08:10 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

I have stopped checking my oil the way Harley recommends. People on this forum who are a lot smarter than me have said letting it idle on the side stand, like Harley recommends, leaves a lot of oil in the crankcase. I let it idle upright for a minute before shutting it off. Then check it as soon as I get off the bike. That will give you your highest oil reading on the dip stick. Letting it idle on the side stand and then checking it cold will show about 1/4 of the way less on the dip stick. I aim for the half way mark on the dip stick using the method I am using. I guessing yours will be close to that by letting it idle upright and checking it hot.

Last edited by martin10; 04-06-2019 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Error
Old 04-06-2019, 12:56 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Mine sits right in the middle of the marks and no splatter. Guess each bike is a little different.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:57 PM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by sandrooney
Where is it when it's hot?
Oil level Hot engine. No splatter. Measured on jiffy stand

The following users liked this post:
SgtThump (08-25-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 06:04 AM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

I am sure it will be fine running it there.
I do like martin10 and let mine idle upright before checking the oil, it does clear the sump better. It's always about halfway up the stick when cold and at the full mark or 1 dot down from full when hot. I have noticed that I can check the oil at the gas station and it will be as much as 4 or 5 dots down, I get back home and check it in the spot that I normally park it and it is at the full mark. The leval can be all over the place depending on where it's parked when you check it.

Last edited by sandrooney; 04-07-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:12 PM
Hulkss
HDF Community Team
Received 1,848 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
I have stopped checking my oil the way Harley recommends. People on this forum who are a lot smarter than me have said letting it idle on the side stand, like Harley recommends, leaves a lot of oil in the crankcase. I let it idle upright for a minute before shutting it off. Then check it as soon as I get off the bike. That will give you your highest oil reading on the dip stick. Letting it idle on the side stand and then checking it cold will show about 1/4 of the way less on the dip stick.
I can confirm this. I let the fully hot bike idle upright for a minute then shut down and fill to the full line on the side stand. If I then let it idle on the side stand and check the oil level, it will be four marks down. Idle upright again... back to full.

I'm going to stay with the idle upright method and fill to full before long rides. I can easily keep track of oil consumption and I won't over fill it.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:39 PM
Another Old Timer
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by kenny55
Oil level Hot engine. No splatter. Measured on jiffy stand

Same here, After a ride, pull into Garage, turn off engine, place on Jiffy Stand, get off bike, remove gloves, remove helmet then jacket hang it up on Hanger, check oil and it is at or just below the picture above.. Keeping it at this level uses no oil no matter how hard I am running it. I find if I keep the oil level higher the bike uses oil.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:40 AM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I just picked up a 19 heritage and am having a hard time understanding the oil level in this bike. Several times now the oil hasn’t read on dipstick, Go ride for a bit and it’s half way up. What gives? I just did the 1000 mile service and put 4.5 qts in, warmed it up and stick was dry. This is nothing like the baggers I’ve owned. Haha

Old 07-15-2019, 05:48 AM
Agoober
Banned
Received 1,004 Likes on 713 Posts

Yes idling it upright for 2 minutes after a ride does give the most consistent reading. However you check it just keep the process you use the same every time with a known quantity of oil in the bike.. Do not keep adding oil, this will cause the head breathers to puke it up. Running them in hard also helps with oil consumption , bikes run in slow eat oil ,bikes run in hard not stupid hard use none.

Peace .

Quick Reply: 18+ Softail Oil Level - 114 engine