Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head unit that can handle bumps

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 09:20 PM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Head unit that can handle bumps

Switched out my head unit because the stock one died at the end of last season. Swapped out for a 310btx Sony and now with a good size bump in the road my faceplate goes blank. It's a connection problem with the faceplate because it plays well but I can't see the screen. It works again if I open and close the deck. Is there a more reliable head unit that will last more than 1 season? Not trying to switch out decks every season, preferably Sony because I have to switch out my biketronics adapter if I do, so the unit has to be worth it if I do switch!

Old 11-18-2014, 12:08 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by stic2it
Switched out my head unit because the stock one died at the end of last season. Swapped out for a 310btx Sony and now with a good size bump in the road my faceplate goes blank. It's a connection problem with the faceplate because it plays well but I can't see the screen. It works again if I open and close the deck. Is there a more reliable head unit that will last more than 1 season? Not trying to switch out decks every season, preferably Sony because I have to switch out my biketronics adapter if I do, so the unit has to be worth it if I do switch!
I've had the same unit for two years and never had a problem. I also know other guys with the same unit and no problems. I'd send it back and get another unit. The Sony 310 is an excellent HU. Just like every other quality metric 99 good and 1 bad. The quality guy probably came to work wasted that day. . . lol

Old 11-18-2014, 04:11 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by stic2it
Pop the face off and using alcohol and cotton swabs, clean the contacts on the head unit and faceplate. Also take something like a dental pick and pry the pins on the head unit out a little bit. Be careful doing this

Aside from that, if you want to jump speedbumps, get a dirt bike. :-)

Old 11-18-2014, 06:04 PM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't have a problem till I went back to school. My school is in DC, I think their street repair guys are on crack! The roads suck and I like my ohlins a bit stiff, for the twisties. I will try the alcohol and tightening the connection.